ROM Hack Translation Zoids Saga DS Story Translation Project (OUT NOW!)

ZeroZX111

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey - just chiming in to say that it's amazing to see how much progress has been made on this in such a small while - sent you a quick tip!

Re: next steps - no major preference (and it seems like you will finish all three relatively quickly anyway!) but it might be cool to see the script in-game!

Reactions: Traceytrace

Traceytrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've done another huge chunk of text in the arm9 binary, thanks to the help of like 20+ VBA functions I've made just for this project...

The entire menu is in english now, everything except one or two stray popup messages that I'm still trying to locate in-game.

If I was doing just a menu translation, I would pretty much be declaring it finished and ready for release.

In-battle menus still need to be done, looks like I'm turning back into a pixel artist! (Joy...)

I will do the event files (story dialogue) last as the cherry on top

Also, while the character/zoid database menus are also translated, I'm not translating the database entries themselves. I know exactly where they are in the game files, it's just I would rather waterboard myself than do them all when they have no effect on gameplay (for those unaware, the zoid database is just like a pokedex)

Last edited by Traceytrace,

Traceytrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's very difficult juggling my degree and this project at the same time :( hard to justify the time I'm putting in. Any support is hugely appreciated

(also, to the guy who's been proofreading my script, you're a legend, please keep it up! I read every comment you leave, I will sift through them soon)

• Love
Reactions: CxP

TheLetterX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Why Hello there! I made an account just for this thread!. Please keep up your great work as I am looking forward to finally play this game. I played the heck out of Zoids Legacy on my GBA but would love to be able to play this game! What you are doing is amazing keep it up.

CxP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
my brother~ are you able to play the game on a ds reader/sd card on an actual nintendo ds?
i have a SAV file (with i think a completed game and deck commands) from a long time ago, but i cant get it to run on desmume.

did you want???

Traceytrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
my brother~ are you able to play the game on a ds reader/sd card on an actual nintendo ds?
i have a SAV file (with i think a completed game and deck commands) from a long time ago, but i cant get it to run on desmume.

did you want???
Unfortunately I no longer own a DS! But even if you cant get the sav file to work, send it my way, I might be able to get it to work

Reactions: Kyoka

CxP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
holy shit my dude! i got it working! :D

i have all but two deck commands missing! i hope this helps amigo! :D
(updated the google drive link with the dsv file! :)

enjoy my funny ass team from more than 10 years ago! :rofl2:

edo1989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hacking
Translated event Files inserted into game: 15/105<-- when this reaches 105 the story is complete!

As for hacking, I will preface this by saying that I am not a hacker, but I am a coder, and I have made some effort to understand the problems we're facing. Here is a non-hacker's best explanation of the current state of things and what needs to happen next.

I have gotten as far as being able to see the entire script in the game's binary files by using tools created by uaa-mach here: https://github.com/uaa-mach/zoids-ds-translation-base

Unfortunately, I can't get his python scripts to work, and I don't know why they don't work for me. I've tried many versions of both Python 2 and 3 but no matter what, extract.py just creates empty text files. If anyone who is good with Python is willing to try their hand at getting it to work, please follow the link above to uaa-mach's github and follow the instructions there. Those scripts must have worked at some point in time, since the script was successfully dumped at one point in time. Better yet, if anyone knows uaa-mach and/or how to contact him, that would be helpful too.
hope this would help you :)

don't hesistate to pm me..cheers

*gtg to bed..already 1 am here

Attachments

• text resources.7z
    523.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by edo1989,

Traceytrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hope this would help you :)

don't hesistate to pm me..cheers

*gtg to bed..already 1 am here
I would really love to know how you got this to work 😮

Though I'm pretty sure uaa-mach's code wouldn't handle the fact that you can't make the overlay files much bigger than they are before the game can't read from them anymore. I would love to have this information a few months ago when I started though 😅

I won't have anything to gain by trying to use his stuff anymore at this point, I've got my own system that works (I'm writing text into the arm9 binary and pointing to it from the overlay files and it works a treat). Other than the eventfile tools by Azerty1, I've got my own solutions that should take me the rest of the way there 😁

Really good to see that his stuff works, though

Traceytrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
holy shit my dude! i got it working! :D

i have all but two deck commands missing! i hope this helps amigo! :D
(updated the google drive link with the dsv file! :)

enjoy my funny ass team from more than 10 years ago! :rofl2:
Nice! Thanks heaps, now I can easily test all those deck command descriptions! I'm sure they'll all display correctly, I was pretty diligent about it

Reactions: CxP

Traceytrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
In other news, I'm doing the battle menus currently. Finished all the pixel art I needed to translate, though there are some things here or there that I left as is because the pixel art is nice and it's not a barrier to enjoyment (for example ターン1 flies across the screen in big lettering on turn 1 etc)

In the testing phase for battle messages now, the formatting is a bit of a nightmare but I have a system and it's going to work. After the battle system it's really just... a few random strings of text for the whale king and time machine, and then I'm good to start putting the script into the game

edo1989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I would really love to know how you got this to work 😮

Though I'm pretty sure uaa-mach's code wouldn't handle the fact that you can't make the overlay files much bigger than they are before the game can't read from them anymore. I would love to have this information a few months ago when I started though 😅

I won't have anything to gain by trying to use his stuff anymore at this point, I've got my own system that works (I'm writing text into the arm9 binary and pointing to it from the overlay files and it works a treat). Other than the eventfile tools by Azerty1, I've got my own solutions that should take me the rest of the way there 😁

Really good to see that his stuff works, though
Glad you got what you need, sorry if am late on this journey :lol:

What I've done to make those script works.. First, open extract.py and traceroute all syntax there to rellevant module and fix some syntax-error to get to work on python 2.7.

Fyi, am install python 2.7 on virtual-environment because script writtten on python 2 (time-consuming if converting script to python 3). 🍺

Traceytrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Glad you got what you need, sorry if am late on this journey :lol:

What I've done to make those script works.. First, open extract.py and traceroute all syntax there to rellevant module and fix some syntax-error to get to work on python 2.7.

Fyi, am install python 2.7 on virtual-environment because script writtten on python 2 (time-consuming if converting script to python 3). 🍺
Interesting! I'm glad it was close enough to being usable. I still have uaa-mach to thank though, at least, because I used his extract.py script to get the offset for the overlay files, and I made my own scripts in VBA that read his pointers.txt files to get the things I need.

Honestly I think it's quite the opposite, if you had given me this when I started, I might have given up by now if I hit some wall and hadn't gotten familiar with the entire process myself by coding my own scripts. Funny how that works! can you send me the scripts that you edited anyway just in case I have some niche use for them? (I'm also using python 2.7)

Reactions: Farfetch20

edo1989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Interesting! I'm glad it was close enough to being usable. I still have uaa-mach to thank though, at least, because I used his extract.py script to get the offset for the overlay files, and I made my own scripts in VBA that read his pointers.txt files to get the things I need.

Honestly I think it's quite the opposite, if you had given me this when I started, I might have given up by now if I hit some wall and hadn't gotten familiar with the entire process myself by coding my own scripts. Funny how that works! can you send me the scripts that you edited anyway just in case I have some niche use for them? (I'm also using python 2.7)

Sure no prob...Fix syntax and add executable if somebody want to use these without installing python :grog:

Attachments

• zoids-ds-translation-base (edited by edo1989).7z
    1.9 MB · Views: 35

Traceytrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I came to check on the progress but I give my salute to you for finishing Dave's work on translating the game. Respect to ya, truly! :bow:
Dave never really did anything... haha. I have uaa-mach and Azerty1 and (whoever dumped the script using their tools) to thank, but other than that I've done everything myself from scratch :) ( and CxP for proofreading a metric ton of script)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)