Hacking Zill O'll infinite plus

rwbonesy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know you, so you can "fk" off too.

I don't even know why danke kept beating the dead slopes horse in there as long as he did either. He confuses me sometimes, tbh.

But whatever, carry on. I'm still looking forward to the project, it'll be a nice surprise one day.

Last edited by rwbonesy,

Kitsu-neechan

Coffee makes your kokoro go doki doki
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
But whatever, carry on. I'm still looking forward to the project, it'll be a nice surprise one day.

it will be completed eventually. we came all this way so there will be a release, whether it will be just as perfect as i want it to, or not, will remain to be seen, but
it will be completely translated and fully playable.
right now to reach that goal, all there is to do is finish the translation. the functional hacking has been completed and what remains is QoL work (the biography menus, cleanup of name input, some text coming out of text boxes kinda things.)

Kitsu-neechan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Okay, so, the categorization has been redone.
since the original version had 9 categories, we decided to make our lives a little less of a pain in ass, and stick with that,
so the english version will be categories in 3 letter pairs, such as A-C or J-L
this actually works really well because the names on the lists split into the categories quite evenly as it is so i just rolled with it.

the original intention was to sort out the characters based on their home region or something, and while that would have been really neat, it turned out to be impossible due to the variety of entries on the list
(there's 141 entries in the biographies)

i'll post some pics from that once we finish up the ui side (change the text strings, move some windows a little) and get the unlock conditions working as they should (rearranging the list obviously messed up the unlock tables.)

Kitsu-neechan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
here we go, biography categories un-moonruned and rearranged to english.
ULJM05410_00989.png

still have to fix the fact that the character portraits in the bio entries are messed up due to the reordering but sans that, that's one less thing to fix.

chivien

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
JUst here to show my support again

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm just here to show my support

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Rebuilding my PSP library and sorta forgot about this game, remembered it all thanks to the bump above! Anyways, Kitsu, did you ever end up working on this and possibly releasing it or just still in the works and half-dead? Rusty AF with my Japanese so a huge pain to play this again with all the Kanji (unlike most PSP games, this one doesn't have the pronunciation above the Kanji:nayps3:)...

Kitsu-neechan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Rebuilding my PSP library and sorta forgot about this game, remembered it all thanks to the bump above! Anyways, Kitsu, did you ever end up working on this and possibly releasing it or just still in the works and half-dead? Rusty AF with my Japanese so a huge pain to play this again with all the Kanji (unlike most PSP games, this one doesn't have the pronunciation above the Kanji:nayps3:)...

we're still on it. this game's a whole other beast to tame really.
there's really just not much to update on it. we're ...translating.
there's a pesky issues with the biography menu we've literally been sitting on for an eternity now (again, only couple hours at weekends to put on this) but aside that everything is pretty much done hacking vise.
as far as script goes..... your guess is as good as mine. there's a lot done..... and alot to do :P

Reactions: m4rc0 and ThoD

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
we're still on it. this game's a whole other beast to tame really.
there's really just not much to update on it. we're ...translating.
there's a pesky issues with the biography menu we've literally been sitting on for an eternity now (again, only couple hours at weekends to put on this) but aside that everything is pretty much done hacking vise.
as far as script goes..... your guess is as good as mine. there's a lot done..... and alot to do :P
The "hacking" part is the fastest one to do, in such a massive game, the text is like two dozen times as much work if not more so I feel your pain, been there with some translations I worked on myself:rofl2:

Kitsu-neechan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
if only i could agree.
zill o'll has and insane amount of text sure, but it also had some insane hacking work going for it, especially because of the involved upgrades we did to the engine.
and dont get me started on hand-converting all the model textures from ps2 into the psp version.

stupid amount of hours has been poured into this patch already, and propably stupid amounts still remain.
it'll get there at some point in time-space-continuum

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
if only i could agree.
zill o'll has and insane amount of text sure, but it also had some insane hacking work going for it, especially because of the involved upgrades we did to the engine.
and dont get me started on hand-converting all the model textures from ps2 into the psp version.

stupid amount of hours has been poured into this patch already, and propably stupid amounts still remain.
it'll get there at some point in time-space-continuum
Well, if you are importing stuff from a different version instead of just translating, then alright, it is a crapton of programming work, thought it was just english patch (for which hacking for the most part involves extracting the files with the text and the writting systems used in the game, then importing the translated stuff along with the new fonts for the new language and altering any other files as needed and making sure you didn't cause bugs). I've only ever worked on pure translations without bothering with bugtesting or anything more than just text or menus, so can't really say how much work this specific game needs (closest game I've worked on that's like this is Toukiden Kiwami v1.2 but gave up when a proper group took over). Anyways, good luck and will be looking forward to some sort of release of this in the future, still enjoying your Lenneth and other works!

Kitsu-neechan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
well, for this one we completely remade the font, we added a function to the text parser to identify the player's gender and change him/her automatically on scripts based on it,
in addition to that, I imported the entire soundtrack from the ps1 version and we coded a new menu entry to switch the music from the in-game options, and save the selected setting.
After that I had to hack through the (extremely messily protected) ps2 version to gain my hand on the high resolution textures and convert & adapt them to the psp. (hooray for hardware compatible high-resolution pathces!)

there's a whole bunch of things done here that go far and beyond pure translation work. the assembly file for just making things work is thousands of lines long at the moment and we're not really even done yet.
but it's not far off. From the engine side we're currently (still) working on poking at how the character portraits load in the biography menu in order to get them play nice, and after that there are several issues with the
name input menu in the new game game and the weapon rename menu in the blacksmith.

supersaito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Good job and keep on, sometimes ppl doesn't know how much of time and effort is spent on a translation.

I'm awating for the release!

;)

Kitsu-neechan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Good job and keep on, sometimes ppl doesn't know how much of time and effort is spent on a translation.

I'm awating for the release!

;)

working on it! only so little to go with the hacking, heh.
getting this game off my list will be shampagne popping time really. Boy, it's been a while since I decided it will happen (20 years :P)

Kitsu-neechan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
0.0 what the heck you is much old

not really. But yeah, Zill O'll was released on ps1 in 1998 and ever since I first saw an article about it in a gaming magazine, I decided that some day I will play it.
they didnt bring it to europe so as usual, gotta do everything myself lol.

I still have that page of the magazine too. It's been on my wall ever since 1998.

DDh6UpEW0AAOgrE.jpg

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
not really. But yeah, Zill O'll was released on ps1 in 1998 and ever since I first saw an article about it in a gaming magazine, I decided that some day I will play it.
they didnt bring it to europe so as usual, gotta do everything myself lol.

I still have that page of the magazine too. It's been on my wall ever since 1998.

View attachment 189932
You know though, since you can just read Japanese, you can always play it just fine without all this trouble:P It's not like some other games that are literally SO full of Kanji, complicated ones to boot, that more than 70% of all text is in Kanji (just look at MonHun's Kanji spam throughout the years)!

Kitsu-neechan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
You know though, since you can just read Japanese, you can always play it just fine without all this trouble:P It's not like some other games that are literally SO full of Kanji, complicated ones to boot, that more than 70% of all text is in Kanji (just look at MonHun's Kanji spam throughout the years)!

Im nowhere near anough good at Japanese to understand 2 shits about what's going on in the story in zill o'll really. i can barely navigate my ways through the menus but that's about it.
There's always games that are more of a mess to work with yeah, but Zill O'll is honestly one of the more text heavy ones on the system.

In any case, its safe to say that it's been a long-term plan to get this done and now it's almost there. It'll propably also be my last translation project atleast for a while, since I moved on and started coding my own game now.

Reactions: m4rc0

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Im nowhere near anough good at Japanese to understand 2 shits about what's going on in the story in zill o'll really. i can barely navigate my ways through the menus but that's about it.
There's always games that are more of a mess to work with yeah, but Zill O'll is honestly one of the more text heavy ones on the system.

In any case, its safe to say that it's been a long-term plan to get this done and now it's almost there. It'll propably also be my last translation project atleast for a while, since I moved on and started coding my own game now.
Don't you think that learning Japanese will be faster then? I mean, in just a year of casual learning you can learn more than enough to understand everything in this game...

Your own game? Care to say anything more about it? I'm kinda curious now!

Kitsu-neechan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Im too lazy to learn japanese really.... I already know how to hack things so i'll just go that way. Atleast maybe someone else can enjoy it too then :)

Don't really have much of the game out there at this point, it's kinda in the middle of development.
it's a NES platformer, called Dimension Shift i've been working on with FIX94 for a year or so now. There's some pictures and stuff in my twitter; https://twitter.com/teh_mugi

here's a video too, i recorded this a couple days ago (has some nice out of bounds action too because i fail at collisions heh.)

Last edited by Kitsu-neechan,

GinBunBun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im too lazy to learn japanese really.... I already know how to hack things so i'll just go that way. Atleast maybe someone else can enjoy it too then :)

Don't really have much of the game out there at this point, it's kinda in the middle of development.
it's a NES platformer, called Dimension Shift i've been working on with FIX94 for a year or so now. There's some pictures and stuff in my twitter; https://twitter.com/teh_mugi

here's a video too, i recorded this a couple days ago (has some nice out of bounds action too because i fail at collisions heh.)

Looks pretty awesome. I like how the level is actually animated with the leaves and grass. Looks like you took a lot of inspiration from Shatterhand. Not a bad game to build off for sure. I wish more people talked about Shatterhand that game is awesome. Anyway you do awesome work regardless.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya