Zelda Wind Waker HD randomizer released

WWHDR Logo.jpg

Just a few weeks after the launch of Skyward Sword HD's randomizer, Zelda fans can one again rejoice as a new way to play the popular Wii U remaster Wind Waker HD has been released. Much like Skyward Sword, Wind Waker has long had a popular randomizer for its original release, but this marks the first time players have been able to enjoy the enhanced graphics and tweaks of the remaster in a fully random way.

For those unaware, randomizers take the familiar landscape of a game and shuffle obtainable items to create entirely unique playthroughs that can provide interesting and new challenges. Many of the available settings here will be familiar to users of the original Wind Waker randomizer, with the app itself being incredibly easy to navigate and use. On top of being able to pick what you want to shuffle, you can also customise your player model's colours right out of the box.

wwhd-settings1.jpg wwhd-settings2.jpg wwhd-settings3.jpg
To keep track of your progress and tell you what is available with the items you currently have, the randomizer also features a tracker built-in. Again based on the popular web-based tracker for the original game, it will auto-save, allowing you to work through the game at your own pace. For those playing on console, you're also able to re-randomize the game without needing to remove your SD card thanks to the bundled homebrew app.

wwhd-tracker.jpg

This project was made possible thanks to the efforts of SuperDude88, with help from csunday95 and gymnast86 and the bugfixing assistance of the ForTheUsers developers. If you're interested in checking out the randomizer, you can find its GitHub page linked below:

:arrow: GitHub Page

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Remember that the very first thing you should do, is to back this one up right now and to every possible service available.
Nintendo is using bots to take down fan projects now, and it won't be too farfetched to assume it would happen with this game too, given they already took down both the BotW and TotK randos from Gamebanana.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Remember that the very first thing you should do, is to back this one up right now and to every possible service available.
Nintendo is using bots to take down fan projects now, and it won't be too farfetched to assume it would happen with this game too, given they already took down both the BotW and TotK randos from Gamebanana.
It is worth saying the Skyward Sword HD one released with absolutely no issues a few weeks ago, and has had an update since. This was after having a launch trailer a week prior, giving Nintendo plenty of time to strike if they did want to. I'm not saying it's an impossibility, but they are most likely safe.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It is worth saying the Skyward Sword HD one released with absolutely no issues a few weeks ago, and has had an update since. This was after having a launch trailer a week prior, giving Nintendo plenty of time to strike if they did want to. I'm not saying it's an impossibility, but they are most likely safe.
if they take this down than it's confirmed ww HD will be coming on the switch 2
Yep, it's probably safe unless/until Nintendo decides to re-release the game on Switch or Switch 2. Kind of hilarious given Switch's market saturation versus Wii U's. They probably believe Switch would've sold 200 million units if not for piracy. :rofl:

pleasehelpme2

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is the version for console the .wuhb file in releases? It's been a while since I used the old Wii U, so I've forgotten the file extensions and the workings of the homebrew.

BlusterBong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rule 0 would have been to not fucking advertise it.... but alas the absolutely genius editorial team already failed that because it was a slow news day since there were no other Nintendo DMCAs or actually good Non-Nintendo Scene news.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Rule 0 would have been to not fucking advertise it.... but alas the absolutely genius editorial team already failed that because it was a slow news day since there were no other Nintendo DMCAs or actually good Non-Nintendo Scene news.
Dude we didn't even get around to covering the TotK one before it got nuked. That's how fast Nintendo was acting.
In fact, I think Nintendo is using their DMCA AI bot on a per-site basis. First they narrow down targets and then they run the thing to bring down as much Nintendo "infringing" content it may find. That's how they tackled Vimm's and Gamebanana. It wouldn't surprise me if other places follow suit close after.
Github is another matter, it's constantly evolving and I'm sure they're keeping a close eye on it for anyone who drops any important project on it.

BlusterBong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude we didn't even get around to covering the TotK one before it got nuked. That's how fast Nintendo was acting.
"Oh-Ho-Ho! we didn't cover the randomizer that got nuked fast enough so therefore we're not doing it all the time"

Then explain the articles for the Skyward Sword HD Randomizer, this one for Wind Waker HD, and even outside of the randomizer sphere, the first news about Retroarch's Wii U Port getting it's Aroma CFW Port? You of all people should know full well that Nintendo will go after anything they perceive as blood in the water and that putting this as front fucking page news is a disaster just waiting to happen since things like Vimm's or Gamebanna or even things like github projects for consoles live entirely on borrowed time and bringing attention to them will make the lawyers notice and kill it faster than they would have, AI bot or not.

Hell, the AI Bot hypothosis is made even worse since we are freely giving more things like this article for the AI to detect and kill it even faster than ever before, which is why you should not be advertising things like this in any capacity, even if it's free.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
"Oh-Ho-Ho! we didn't cover the randomizer that got nuked fast enough so therefore we're not doing it all the time"

Then explain the articles for the Skyward Sword HD Randomizer, this one for Wind Waker HD, and even outside of the randomizer sphere, the first news about Retroarch's Wii U Port getting it's Aroma CFW Port? You of all people should know full well that Nintendo will go after anything they perceive as blood in the water and that putting this as front fucking page news is a disaster just waiting to happen since things like Vimm's or Gamebanna or even things like github projects for consoles live entirely on borrowed time and bringing attention to them will make the lawyers notice and kill it faster than they would have, AI bot or not.

Hell, the AI Bot hypothosis is made even worse since we are freely giving more things like this article for the AI to detect and kill it even faster than ever before, which is why you should not be advertising things like this in any capacity, even if it's free.

At this point it doesn't matter if it's covered or not, Nintendo will do it's thing even without media covering it.

BlusterBong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point it doesn't matter if it's covered or not, Nintendo will do it's thing even without media covering it.
You are going straight for the defeatist attitude because "oh they'll do it anyways even if nobody covers it"

You want it to stop? then stop talking about Nintendo. Don't buy anything, don't interact with them, don't touch anything that is related to them (like ports of other games to their consoles), don't give any fan made content any attention like these articles, don't even give them the satisfaction of pirating their current products or buying their games second hand, because they still profit of it since somebody has to make the effort to buy it to let those two things happen, which is still money going into their hands, even if it's not as much.

Disney learned this the hard way when they kept attacking Star Wars fans to the point many of them left and stopped caring about it outside of mockery when the next product comes and goes in droves and look where that franchise is now. If how Nintendo conducted it's business and legal business was truly as bad as you continue to say it is, you would have done the same and encouraged others to do the same.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HERE COMES THE NINTENDO DMCA TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...i MEAN, WE ALL KNOW IT'S GONNA HAPPEN. i'M JUST STATING THE OBVIOUS. Whoops, left my Caps Lock on again. :P

Does that mean I like it? No, not at all; I find it incredibly sad. Also, they're promoting rated M games as part of their NSO service now - I'm considering cancelling my subscription.

• Sad
Reactions: jeremy2020

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You are going straight for the defeatist attitude because "oh they'll do it anyways even if nobody covers it"
Err...it would be defeatist for a website that's always been dedicated to software and hardware modding to stop covering news about software and hardware mods. This stuff gets coverage on all the biggest social media sites regardless, as well as coverage from countless AI news bots. GBAtemp is a much smaller fish in comparison. Nintendo can continue trying to fight a war against the entirety of the internet all they want, it's one they've been losing since the launch of NES and Game Boy emulators.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is the version for console the .wuhb file in releases? It's been a while since I used the old Wii U, so I've forgotten the file extensions and the workings of the homebrew.
That is the one yeah. If you scroll to the bottom of the GitHub page, there's a setup guide for both console and emulator, with links to more general homebrew guides if you want a refresher. I had no issues following their instructions for emulator, so hopefully console is just as easy. Seems super nice once you've got it setup once since you can just use that app on-console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh he said this to me, get over it Sunflower
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    the internet is and can get nasty really fast
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but it's the same ones whining about them being a victim when they want negative attention for others lol
    +3
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    although having a bad day or bad card dealt in life is just a personal issue, how you communicate to others will determine how others will treat you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No not really some people just act a certain way to please the crowd it's the internet
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    yeah, there's those also, they act entirely different compared to their RL persona
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even in life you have fake crumbs that act a certain way just to please other friends
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i call those just asskissers
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can spend years talking to each other and stop suddenly just because others don't like you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Goes back to the oh I wanna fit in with this crowd type
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I don't even have blood related family members left that I can talk to anymore, everyone is estranged
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I live by if it happens to you it can happen to them and most likely will so fuck them
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's funny how life works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A cycle of payback and I told you so
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sometimes I don't know if I'm frustated or happy

:wacko:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wanted to jerk off but my straight jacket won't let me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    wait,...BDSM don't use straight jackets, what kinda horsin' around are you even up to? nevermind, dun wanna know
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I didn't fall asleep with the jacket on
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    good luck, dun get butraped by ancientboi and you're gud
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Other way around ancientboi wants to be buttraped
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Only if you're too close to where he is.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I didn't sleep earlier because I spent the night completing a bunch achievements in my favorite mega man x game
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://powkiddy.com/products/powkiddy-v10-handheld-game-console?ref=retrohandhelds&variant=44647...