Gaming Zelda producer confirms Breath of the Wild taking place after Ocarina of Time

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It cuold be hundreds of years after TP. After all, there is advanced technology. We had similar things with the Rod of Heavens in TP. Which was indeed technology and not magic.

The evolution from Kokiris to Koroks is easily explainable since they could have been forced to be outside of the Kokiri Forest.

The evolution from Zoras to Rito could be something similar. Maybe now because of less water, or destroyed Lake Hylia. Who knows. But again, this would be after at least 1000 years, so it's not impossible if the game looks to be hundreds of years in the future of TP.

Last edited by Olmectron,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pray to Goddess Hylia that there are no trains in BotW.
Am I the only one who kind of liked the trains?

There is much more evidence for it being after TP due to how hyrule looks like before its destroyed. It looks like it was in prime condition not like it was ever flooded and looked exactly like TP hyrule castle town.
First, there's no evidence it's a TP sequel, and there's plenty of evidence that it's in the Wind Waker timeline. Second, did get hung up on how the landscapes and architecture look. There are always going to be stylistic differences between games that have nothing to do with timeline placement.

Also it being a ww sequel makes no sense because they created a new hyrule. Theres no way they would willingly go back to old hyrule.
Tetra, Link, and the pirates went in search of a new kingdom. Plenty of Hylians were left on the islands, and if the flood waters receded, they would colonize the old Hyrule.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It cuold be hundreds of years after TP. After all, there is advanced technology.
Sure, but there's no evidence of that.

The evolution from Kokiris to Koroks is easily explainable since they could have been forced to be outside of the Kokiri Forest.
That's not possible in the TP timeline, since the Kokiri were replaced with monkeys, and Deku Tree Jr. died or never came to be. It's also highly unlikely they would become the exact same creatures they did in another timeline.

The evolution from Zoras to Rito could be something similar. Maybe now because of less water, or destroyed Lake Hylia. Who knows. But again, this would be after at least 1000 years, so it's not impossible.
First, it's highly improbable they would become the same species as in another radically different timeline. Second, see my above post about Lord Valoo.

LuigiXHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes but link and zelda are busy living who knows how far away from old hyrule.

Also your only evidence for wind waker timeline is two races that can easily be explained in any timeline. And ignore the geographical aspect isnt right because when Nintendo made a ALBW and Zelda 2 that had their previous game's overworld in them.

There is zero evidence the kokiri turned into monkeys.

The rito are vastly different then the ww ones and there hasnt been any evidence of valoo being in botw.

Last edited by LuigiXHero,

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sure, but there's no evidence of that.

That's not possible in the TP timeline, since the Kokiri were replaced with monkeys, and Deku Tree Jr. died or never came to be. It's also highly unlikely they would become the exact same creatures they did in another timeline.

First, it's highly improbable they would become the same species as in another radically different timeline. Second, see my above post about Lord Valoo.
Kokiri simply don't appear in Zelda TP. None states what happened to them, so they could still be living in a hidden Kokiri forest.

Yeah, evolution in real world would be very improbable to be the same in two separate dimensions, but for the sake of simplicity, and not just adding more and more races to the Zelda lore, maybe Nintendo opted to make them like this again. Anyway, it's not such a crazy idea to evolve the same in another timeline for the Kokiri, you know.

Quote of Zeldapedia:

"The Koroks were once the human-shaped Kokiri, but when Hyrule was transformed into the Great Sea, they took on a more plant-like appearance. The Great Deku Tree says in the game, "Once upon a time, long ago, the Koroks took on human forms, but when they came to live on the sea, they took these shapes." Fado, the Sage of Wind and a Kokiri, is closely connected to Makar, his replacement as sage. Interestingly, the Kokiri never grow up, and the Great Deku Tree refers to the Koroks as "my cherished little children". The Koroks also have an optimistic, perhaps childlike disposition, a trait they share with the Kokiri. Similarly to the Kokiri, Koroks do not take lightly to outsiders, and in many cases are afraid of them."

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes but link and zelda are busy living who knows how far away from old hyrule.
First, that doesn't contradict BotW being a Wind Waker prequel. Second, they don't need to come back in order for their bloodline and/or reincarnated souls (or whatever) to be present in the hypothetically unflooded Hyrule.

Also your only evidence for wind waker timeline is two races that can easily be explained in any timeline. And ignore the geographical aspect isnt right because when Nintendo made a ALBW and Zelda 2 that had their previous game's overworld in them.
One has to do a lot of mental gymnastics to explain those two species, which are contingent upon certain Wind Waker events and characters, in a way that isn't "Wind Waker timeline."
Occam's razor is the most logically sound solution for the time being.

Kokiri simply don't appear in Zelda TP. None states what happened to them, so they could still be living in a hidden Kokiri forest.

Yeah, evolution in real world would be very improbable to be the same in two separate dimensions, but for the sake of simplicity, and not just adding more and more races to the Zelda lore, maybe Nintendo opted to make them like this again. Anyway, it's not such a crazy idea to evolve the same in another timeline for the Kokiri, you know.

Quote of Zeldapedia:

"The Koroks were once the human-shaped Kokiri, but when Hyrule was transformed into the Great Sea, they took on a more plant-like appearance. The Great Deku Tree says in the game, "Once upon a time, long ago, the Koroks took on human forms, but when they came to live on the sea, they took these shapes." Fado, the Sage of Wind and a Kokiri, is closely connected to Makar, his replacement as sage. Interestingly, the Kokiri never grow up, and the Great Deku Tree refers to the Koroks as "my cherished little children". The Koroks also have an optimistic, perhaps childlike disposition, a trait they share with the Kokiri. Similarly to the Kokiri, Koroks do not take lightly to outsiders, and in many cases are afraid of them."
This is what's implied happened to the Kokiri in the TP timeline: http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Kokiri#Evolution

Keep in mind that one or two Deku Trees appear to be dead in TP. If a Deku Tree were alive, it wouldn't be far off. Trees aren't very mobile.

To summarize my points throughout this thread, the Koroks and Rito have only been seen in Wind Waker, and both are in BotW. In addition, we know how the Koroks and the Rito came into being, and they're arguably contingent upon things specific to the Wind Waker timeline. The very likely explanation is BotW is a Wind Waker sequel or prequel.

There is also the carvings of ritos in TPHD that were not in the original. So I think they already retcon'd the ritos.
Don't confuse easter eggs with timeline evidence.

Last edited by Lacius,

LuigiXHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Proof of tp rito:

MuralOrni.jpg

Source: TPHD castle town.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
First, that doesn't contradict BotW being a Wind Waker prequel. Second, they don't need to come back in order for their bloodline and/or reincarnated souls (or whatever) to be present in the hypothetically unflooded Hyrule.

One has to do a lot of mental gymnastics to explain those two species, which are contingent upon certain Wind Waker events and characters, in a way that isn't "Wind Waker timeline."
Occam's razor is the most logically sound solution for the time being.

This is what's implied happened to the Kokiri in the TP timeline: http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Kokiri#Evolution

Keep in mind that one or two Deku Trees appear to be dead in TP. If a Deku Tree were alive, it wouldn't be far off. Trees aren't very mobile.

To summarize my points throughout this thread, the Koroks and Rito have only been seen in Wind Waker, and both are in BotW. In addition, we know how the Koroks and the Rito came into being, and they're arguably contingent upon things specific to the Wind Waker timeline. The very likely explanation is BotW is a Wind Waker sequel or prequel.
That's in the Theories section.

Also, from that paragraph you linked:

"Some think that the Kokiri changed into the monkeys because the unintentional alliance with the Hylians ended"

and

"However, the absence of the Kokiri in Twilight Princess could also be because they moved deeper into the forest after the Humans founded Ordon Village, which bears a strong resemblance to the original Kokiri Forest village."

There's nothing official, as I said.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's in the Theories section.

Also, from that paragraph you linked:

"Some think that the Kokiri changed into the monkeys because the unintentional alliance with the Hylians ended"

and

"However, the absence of the Kokiri in Twilight Princess could also be because they moved deeper into the forest after the Humans founded Ordon Village, which bears a strong resemblance to the original Kokiri Forest village."

There's nothing official, as I said.
I never claimed it was official, but it is the simplest explanation. In fact, I think I said it was implied.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I never claimed it was official, but it is the simplest explanation. In fact, I think I said it was implied.
Yeah, but the same paragraph you linked states the possibility of them moving to a deeper forest. It's in the theories section. So what I say is still a possibility, not a fact of course. We'll know when we play the game.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but the same paragraph you linked states the possibility of them moving to a deeper forest. It's in the theories section. So, the answer is, what I say still is a possibility.
I'm well aware of this. It's definitely possible if you assume Deku Tree Jr. could be somewhere else. I don't acknowledge this possibility as likely though.

Proof of tp rito:

Source: TPHD castle town.
See my above post about confusing timeline evidence with easter eggs. We know the Rito are an offshoot of the Zora, and they started to exist after or around the flood in the Wind Waker timeline. They are also contingent upon the existence of Lord Valoo, who was born on Dragon Roost Island.

Last edited by Lacius,

LuigiXHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I said everything I wanted to say.
Will come back to this thread after release.

Every zelda related easter egg in the series makes timeline sense. Also I hold actual nintendo artwork higher in regards then the rumors you have said.

Last edited by LuigiXHero,

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm well aware of this. It's definitely possible if you assume Deku Tree Jr. could be somewhere else. I don't acknowledge this possibility as likely though.

Here in the biography section: http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Deku_Tree_Sprout

"The aforementioned shoot suddenly sprouts from under the ground, revealing itself to be the Deku Tree Sprout, not having been able to grow and flourish until Link broke the curse on the temple."

Ganon was imprisoned as soon as Zelda and Link tell the King about Ganondorf. So, there was never this Curse on the Forest Temple to begin with, so the Deku Tree Sprout could have grown up without Link doing a thing.

Again, here's the possibility of the Deku Tree Sprout being alive for mantaining the Forest and take care of the Kokiri.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here in the biography section: http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Deku_Tree_Sprout

"The aforementioned shoot suddenly sprouts from under the ground, revealing itself to be the Deku Tree Sprout, not having been able to grow and flourish until Link broke the curse on the temple."

Ganon was imprisoned as soon as Zelda and him tell the King about Ganondorf. So, there was never this Curse on the Forest Temple to begin with, so the Deku Tree Sprout cuold have grown up without Link doing a thing.

Again, here's the possibility of the Deku Tree Sprout being alive for mantaining the Forest and take care of the Kokiri.
I agree that the Deku Sprout likely came into being in the TP timeline for the exact reason you stated above. However, he appears to be dead in TP, since big papa's husk (or Deku Tree Jr's husk) is the Forest Temple, and there's no Deku Tree Jr. nearby.

Also, given the Butterfly Effect, it's possible there was no Deku Sprout in the TP timeline. That has never been confirmed. Other forces might have kept him from being.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I agree that the Deku Sprout likely came into being in the TP timeline for the exact reason you stated above. However, he appears to be dead in TP, since big papa's husk (or Deku Tree Jr's husk) is the Forest Temple, and there's no Deku Tree Jr. nearby.

Also, given the Butterfly Effect, it's possible there was no Deku Sprout in the TP timeline. That has never been confirmed.
"Deeper forest" is the key in all my posts for explaining the absence of Kokiri, and the absence of a Deku Tree.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it not happen either before or after the first or second game? It has the references to a link to the past, only that time is "ancient" at that point.

Last edited by osaka35,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.