Ben_j

OP
Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
So I was happy to see that there was French screentexts in the US version of Zelda Phantom Hourglass, but after playing for a while, I have to say it must have been done by either monkeys or Google Translation... There are weird words I don't even know the signification, and really weird expressions. For example, Linebeck once says to Link "Je te pompe Link !" which could mean "I'm giving you a blowjob, Link" and doesn't mean anything that could be related to the context where it is said in the game... What the hell ?

I hope the European version will have a more decent translation

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should have a better conversion, perhaps the US one was for French Canadians? No idea how close their version of French is to yours.

drabag

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Don't panic, it seems to be a canadian french translation, with a langage more "fleuri" than ours...
You'll have to wait a little to have a french "française" one
tongue.gif

But it's very playable even with blowjob
laugh.gif
(perhaps the translator works before for "Mario & Luigi : Partners in Time"
rofl2.gif
)

Ben_j

OP
Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
yeah I guess it's canadian French. With terms like "catché" and "tantôt"... But what surprise me is that all the other French US versions before were ... well "normal"

superkris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah I guess it's canadian French. With terms like "catché" and "tantôt"... But what surprise me is that all the other French US versions before were ... well "normal"

No it's not french canadian, I am a "quebecoise" and I can tell you that no one say "je te pompe" that is a French expression that sound "French from France"...

I always play the english versions, since I fear the game is somewhat changed by translation.

drabag

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So they perhaps try to give the characters a peculiar plain speaking but the translator made this out of place "je te pompe" that we might understand "je te copie" ?!
It's more funny than shocking
cool.gif

choupette

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
zelda always had weird translation in french (more funny than weird to be honest).
but I understand better the english one than the french one.

No it's not french canadian, I am a "quebecoise" and I can tell you that no one say "je te pompe" that is a French expression that sound "French from France"...

I always play the english versions, since I fear the game is somewhat changed by translation.

I agree that it may not be pure quebec vocabulary, but it's too far from france's to be french.

superkris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
zelda always had weird translation in french (more funny than weird to be honest).
but I understand better the english one than the french one.

I agree that it may not be pure quebec vocabulary, but it's too far from france's to be french.

Is there a way to know who made the translation...

I remember playing my NA french copy of Link's Awakening on my old GBA and it was really "French from France"
I remember a girl telling Link "Tu est encore patraque"...and not knowing what "patraque" meant even if French is my native language.

kenet.deluxe: I know the game was originally japanese but one more translation means more lost of meaning

superkris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How can you even bother playing in an other language even if it's your native?! I can't play games in other languages than English.

Well as you can see I have been totally assimilated and speak, work and live in english almost all the time. I only speak french to my friends and family.

AS for games I try to play a game (or watch movies) in the language they were first release (except japanese) in order not to miss on the translation...

But I found that for the brain games, if I want to have my "real" age i need to have them in french...Especially the color game in the first brain game...Having to think of the letters color then translate it to to french from english in my head took too much time even if it's not a lot more.

Maybe my brain is still french

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
me too I'm very desapointed of the french version of Zelda, and i'm from Quebec so ...

QUOTE said:
Je dis que tu es un chienneux!
I never saw this in my life ...
Hmm must be some quebec slang.. google has it in a few french pages
http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=chienneux&meta=

vocabquebecois
Chienneux = personne qui chiale toujours, qui se plaint. Motons = grumeaux. retour au chapitre 11 haut. la une [ Précédente ] [ Suivante ]
www.recitus.qc.ca/histoire/2005-2006/equip02/vocabquebecois.htm - 5k -

sangaga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I was disapointed too by this translation, but i think it's because the french translation wasn't made directly from japanese but from english, after it's already been translated to english. english idiomatic expressions are translated literally instead of being translated to an equivalent french expression (when someone says "i can"t see why not", it translates to "je ne vois pas pourquoi pas", which is awful formulation). oh well, i'll play it in english...

drabag

Trophies
XP
Country
France
How can you even bother playing in an other language even if it's your native?! I can't play games in other languages than English.

Wow, imagine us, poor french people, can't play for years some games like Final Fantasy, Super Mario RPG, all Mana serie and many others, just because it's not our native language
ohmy.gif
. For some, we could wait centuries before playing them in french...

QUOTEJe dis que tu es un chienneux!
May be doggy style
laugh.gif

Nubia

Trophies
Website
-
XP
Country
Canada
Guys, i live in Montreal, i am a pure(well, not that pure) french canadian and i can tell you that ''catcher'' is a true Quebec expression. The French Canadian mix english and french. But i can say that ''je te pompe'' is French from France.

Maybe that's a France translation but to be ''cool'', they added some Quebec expressions...

Akoji

+5 internets to psyfira for avatar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You need to put your DS in French.

And yeah im Québecois too, and... the translation sucks... if it a french canadian translation... omg what the hell is Chienneux, never heard that, same with a lot of other terms they say. I was happy to see the game in french when i turned it on, but once i saw the text and the dialogues, I think that I would understand it more in English, I was happy since i could say to my mom to play the game (big Zelda fan, but once the 64 ones came out she found them way too much complicated, and she liked the SNES one since we had a good french version.) But with that arkward translation im not sure if even her would understand it XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ