Gaming Zelda: Breath of the NES fan-game has been DMCA'd by Nintendo.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Stupid Nintendo, I don't understand why they won't let everyone make their own Zelda and Mario games it's ridiculous indeed. Bunch of jerks, what could they possibly have to lose from letting the public make their own Nintendo games. Jeez
1. Quality Control. If the quality of the fan game is low, people may confuse the fan game with official games and think poorly of the original material. Regardless of the quality of this game, if Nintendo doesn't take down this one, it sets a precedent that the fan games are OK, in which case more will come out, inevitably of low quality.
2. Copyright. The Legend of Zelda belongs to Nintendo. It's theirs, they can do whatever they want with it, and nobody else can without going through them. Enforcing copyright doesn't mean they're mean or anything. The same thing applies to other creators. For example, read Gary Larson's opinion of people posting The Far Side comics online.

Reactions: PacPera and NEP
D

Deleted User

i would buy games but they are expensive and i can't afford them, one thing i wanted to know is, why certain person in this forum complains about piracy ¬¬
They're pretty expensive. Limited Edition games costs here 343-560pln, the price for a smartphone tbh. 243pln is a price for a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with additional modules + radiators so...
Better save money and pirate.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

BlueFox gui

SOMEONE
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
They're pretty expensive. Limited Edition games costs here 343-560pln, the price for a smartphone tbh. 243pln is a price for a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with additional modules + radiators so...
Better save money and pirate.
i agree with you, i can't even buy consoles here, they are fucking expensive

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Quality Control. If the quality of the fan game is low, people may confuse the fan game with official games and think poorly of the original material. Regardless of the quality of this game, if Nintendo doesn't take down this one, it sets a precedent that the fan games are OK, in which case more will come out, inevitably of low quality.
2. Copyright. The Legend of Zelda belongs to Nintendo. It's theirs, they can do whatever they want with it, and nobody else can without going through them. Enforcing copyright doesn't mean they're mean or anything. The same thing applies to other creators. For example, read Gary Larson's opinion of people posting The Far Side comics online.
Someone missed the point

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is one of the reasons I will most likely never buy the Switch, and probably no other Nintendo product ever again. PC platform may not have Nintendo IPs, but there are suitable third-party counterpart games available on PC.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine Homer Simpson said out loud what I did before, I am not good at delivering these type of comments I make.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did this achieve any kind of notoriety? All the previous ones we saw tended to be broadcast far and wide and then get smacked down.

Stupid Nintendo, I don't understand why they won't let everyone make their own Zelda and Mario games it's ridiculous indeed. Bunch of jerks, what could they possibly have to lose from letting the public make their own Nintendo games. Jeez
Trademark protection of their properties.
http://www.inta.org/INTABulletin/Pages/PracticalTipsonAvoidingGenericide.aspx
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27026704
and an interesting aside on the matter https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/...-require-companies-tirelessly-censor-internet , which is why I asked about it achieving some kind of notoriety,

If you have a trademark and are repeatedly seen to not defend it then it may suffer something called genericide. At that point the trademark is stripped and others are free to use it. This is held as being very bad, doubly so when you are intellectual property based company that releases little but a handful of high profile works using it every decade, and thus you tend to want to have your intellectual property people monitor things and issue takedown requests for such things as this.

In any case I don't feel bad. Why not make a game using art you are allowed to use? Why steal someone else's?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
because they have to do it.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not trying to be a narc, because I don't care. Out of curiosity though there is no legal issues with freely sharing the game right? Since Nintendo didn't make it and the makers obviously could copyright it right? Or would it be the same circumstances that lead Nintendo to DMCA the originators?

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
The game looks very Nice. The creator has said earlier that if Nintendo shuts the project down, he will continue anyway, But with other sprites and other names etc.

Reactions: cvskid

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
for the thousands time, they hired a company to keep their ips in check and that company will send c&ds to every person they find infringing and they will send them to every person they're made aware of literally because thats their job and what the law requires to make sure your own copyright remain uncontended.

it has nothing to do with nintendo being a party pooper.

i'm all for going on without infringing on the brand though. if its good, it might just make it into the eshop too

Last edited by Clydefrosch,

Lord Patamon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm not trying to be a narc, because I don't care. Out of curiosity though there is no legal issues with freely sharing the game right? Since Nintendo didn't make it and the makers obviously could copyright it right? Or would it be the same circumstances that lead Nintendo to DMCA the originators?

Actually this was based on a 2D Demo Nintendo developed to work the physics for Breath of the Wild and that they presented on the Game Developers Conference 2017. It had the name Zelda on it. Not to mention that even though it was free, the creator of this fanmade project was asking for donatives, so pretty much Nintendo had all rights to take it down :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.wsoctv.com/news/trending/apple-working-fix-bug-causing-iphone-alarm-issues/VGXCCGHWOF...