Gaming Zelda: Breath of the NES fan-game has been DMCA'd by Nintendo.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is why these fangames should wait until the game is done and release it and the source code to the code. That way when Nintendo sends their little attack dogs, it's already too late.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why these fangames should wait until the game is done and release it and the source code to the code. That way when Nintendo sends their little attack dogs, it's already too late.

But that makes too much sense, remember? Authors want fame (or infamy), before completion "hey look what I can do!" and then get a C&D before completion. I agree, they should get their games done and then release them and then build up hype.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
But that makes too much sense, remember? Authors want fame (or infamy), before completion "hey look what I can do!" and then get a C&D before completion. I agree, they should get their games done and then release them and then build up hype.
This is where vague advertisement works best. Publicly show you are making a game, but hint to the details with vague wording.

Reactions: the_randomizer

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:ninja:

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
This is why I jumped on this as soon as I was made aware of it. Thanks, TCPixel.
I managed to give them a small donation before the whole thing was shut down as well, so here's hoping they've received enough of that to not feel completely put-out.
That's a gift to them for them being neato, Nintendo, NOT payment for services.

Oh, and also the customary "fuck you, Nintendo", but everyone else seems to have that sentiment pretty well covered already, so saying it now is really just a formality.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the controls for this game? Theres no instructions anywhere and when I google it just brings up the Wii U/Switch game.

So far all I discovered was

Space - weapon
I - Inventory

What else?

I was wondering if there was some way of picking up items aside from walking over it. I found these yellow boots and an axe that I cant pick up. My inventory isnt full.

I can only conclude the game isnt finished enough that there was no function for these items, let alone picking them up.

Last edited by RemixDeluxe,

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, they really have employees with nothing better to do than to scour the dank, moldy corners of the internet looking for any shitty little fan made thing they can so they can kill it. Seriously, fuck nintendo. "Oh, people want a new or remade metroid and a fan is making it happen? It must die" Nintendo needs one huge, collective bitchslap.

D

Deleted User

That's what he gets for not actually making it for the NES. (^:

Writing "homebrew" (your own software) for modern video game consoles is a waste of time and effort that would be much better spent writing that stuff for Linux where it could actually flourish and have encouraged use instead of constantly having its accessibility (and therefore usability) threatened by plastic people who don't want you to use their proprietary gaming computers (that you know are going to be discontinued relatively soon) a certain way.

Well it didn't meet nintendo expectations, they have high expectations. :unsure:

Expectations don't matter. AM2R was Nintendo-level quality, and it still got shot down.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Expectations don't matter. AM2R was Nintendo-level quality, and it still got shot down.
Nintendo did not expect someone to make this. Also i said it as a joke, it wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Nintendo has expectations and standards for the games they make which explain why quite a few was cancelled like multiple kirby games, N64 earth bound and maybe others. I wasn't saying it to be serious. :P

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
My personal rules for making fan games:
-never announce development. Only announce completion
-no public recruitment, only private
-don't make any announcement until the game has gone gold and been spread to loads of people who will propagate.
-If possible, don't add any potential copyrighted characters/stuff until the end of development (placeholders until it becomes dumb to keep them)

I personally like the idea of creating a "vanilla" version free of copyrighted materials, then spreading an "update" that adds in the fan-game visuals/music/sounds/etc.

Sad to see this gone, though, seemed fun.
Or you make original graphics that are easily replaced with copyrighted ones.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Nintendo is stupid for Dcma a fan game that uses their copy written content? You people seem to be lacking common sense and a bit of your brains. Get over it.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not defending Nintendo but it was obvious this was going to happen.
Why don't people just finish their project, then release it? If they get a DMCA then by that time everyone has their game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30