Blackout

OP
Trophies
Website
geekllife.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
I've looked around on the forums and I didn't find anything that could help me, but I did Google it and apparently DMA is short for "direct memory access". My question is what the DMA checkbox for each game in YSMenu is for and if it needs to be checked. I noticed that unchecking it will cause the game to make a save file automatically. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Senbonzaku101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wikipedia said:
DMA is an essential feature of all modern computers, as it allows devices to transfer data without subjecting the CPU to a heavy overhead. Otherwise, the CPU would have to copy each piece of data from the source to the destination, making it unavailable for other tasks. This situation is aggravated because access to I/O devices over a peripheral bus is generally slower than normal system RAM. With DMA, the CPU gets freed from this overhead and can do useful tasks during data transfer (though the CPU bus would be partly blocked by DMA). In the same way, a DMA engine in an embedded processor allows its processing element to issue a data transfer and carries on its own task while the data transfer is being performed.

A DMA transfer copies a block of memory from one device to another. While the CPU initiates the transfer by issuing a DMA command, it does not execute it. For so-called "third party" DMA, as is normally used with the ISA bus, the transfer is performed by a DMA controller which is typically part of the motherboard chipset. More advanced bus designs such as PCI typically use bus mastering DMA, where the device takes control of the bus and performs the transfer itself. In an embedded processor or multiprocessor system-on-chip, it is a DMA engine connected to the on-chip bus that actually administers the transfer of the data, in coordination with the flow control mechanisms of the on-chip bus.

A typical usage of DMA is copying a block of memory from system RAM to or from a buffer on the device. Such an operation does not stall the processor, which as a result can be scheduled to perform other tasks. DMA is essential to high performance embedded systems. It is also essential in providing so-called zero-copy implementations of peripheral device drivers as well as functionalities such as network packet routing, audio playback and streaming video. Multicore embedded processors (in the form of multiprocessor system-on-chip) often use one or more DMA engines in combination with scratchpad memories for both increased efficiency and lower power consumption. In computer clusters for high-performance computing, DMA among multiple computing nodes is often used under the name of remote DMA.
Wikipedia

Edit: Not sure if any of that helped. Think of it as a helper who helps with tedious chores so the master processor can do other things.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
He has probably already found the DMA wikipage himself.

I think he wants to know why it is possible for people to turn it on and off, if it is for what you say it is, then why isn't it on on default and just hidden in the coding, instead of putting it out there and having people wondering why they put it out there and what its for.

EDIT:

I think I found the answer to your question.

The DMA option is there to give games direct access to the SD card or in laymen terms "games run faster".
You should just leave it on, unless a game is not functioning properly, then you can try if it works better with DMA off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...