Hacking YS menu wont work properly.......

Mrbob2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have followed the readme file having downloaded the latest version.

I like using ttmenu but i would like to put all my braintraining type games in 1 folder, action in another and sports in another.

TTMENU doesnt support (1.10 at the mo) multiple folders so i thought id give YSMENU a try.

I have a folder called ROMS which ysmenu (auto boots) can go into, if i try and select the new folder called games nothing happens its just says /games/games at the top of the screen, if i select it again it will just say games/games/games etc etc.

Is it possible to use multiple folders and even tho i have change the ini file to english, on the game roms i get a load of japanese writing. Something i didnt get when i used TTMENU and selected YSMENU as an nds file.

When i selected YSMENU as an nds file it displayed everything in english fine, but wouldnt load any roms! arghrgrh

Am i being stupid? sorry if i am

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm...it sounds like you may have installed YSMenu incorrectly, but I'm not sure. It certainly doesn't work the way you described for me (yes, you can have folders inside of folders).[*]Make sure you have the newest version of YSMenu (YSMenu0803200115.zip). Unzip the file.[*]Place a copy of TTMENU.DAT from the original menu into the same folder as the "ttextract.exe" program on your PC. Run ttextract.exe on your PC. Place the two resulting files (ttdldi.dat and ttpatch.dat) in the TTMENU folder on your microSD card.[*]If you want YSMenu to be your default menu, rename TTMenu.dat that is on your microSD to TTMenu.nds, then rename YSMenu.nds to TTMenu.dat and put it on the root (top level) of your microSD drive. If you want TTMenu to be the default, just copy YSMenu.nds onto the root of your microSD drive.[*]Place the skin files YSMenu1.bmp and YSMenu2.bmp into the TTMENU folder.[*]Edit YSMenu.ini. Place a semi-colon in front of the line that says LITERALS=LITERALS_JPN. Remove the semi-colon from the line that says LITERALS=LITERALS_ENG. Save your changes to YSMenu.ini and place it in the TTMENU folder on your microSD card.
That should be it. If you are using TTMenu as your default, simply run YSMenu.nds. Otherwise, it should launch directly into YSMenu.

-Bri

Mrbob2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thats great, i followed your advice and now the menu works ok (TTMENU as defualt) and YSMENU as an .nds file. I think what i did wrong was put the ys menu not on my root but in the roms file.

Works great now, thanks mate your the best.

When i put my card in my laptop, the new folder called games had a 7mb file inside it with no extention called "squid", i added an nds file and 6ish files with japanese style text were created!

Very strange, i couldnt delete the folder/files and windows says they are too long.

Ive delete the rogue files/folder in dsorganise fine yay

So now my plan is to get an 8gb card, (formatted to fat16 if possible for speed) and create a folder for brain games, one for action, one for sports etc.

Im rather happy now, thanks once again for your help, your a star

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You're welcome! Glad you got it working!

I don't know what "squid" would have been from, but it's not part of YSMenu (or TTMenu for that matter). Could it be from some homebrew that you installed?

You cannot format an 8GB card with FAT16 (you'll have to use FAT32). But that shouldn't be a problem (might be a tiny bit slower in the menu). If it seems like a problem, you could try the Panasonic formatter, which some have said speeds things up (I've never tried it myself).

-Bri

Mrbob2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ive just ordered 2 8gb cards from mymemory for £65 which is quite good. Il be putting brain training&puzzle stuff in 1 folder, action, sports and racing into others. In theory there shouldnt be too much scrolling to be done that way. FAT makes a huge difference than fat32.

As for the squid thing, i have yet to venture into the world of homebrew, emulation and the only game i had in the new games folder was animal genious. Very strange as the file (with no extension) was 7.1mb. Maybe it was just random letters, other files appeared with japanese symbols. This usually happens when files/directories become corrupt. Sqid tho? very strange lol

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, the squid IS the genius of the animal kingdom!

I don't think YSMenu will slow down much at all with an 8GB FAT32 microSDHC. TTMenu would probably slow down somewhat in the menu, but you can click in the scrollbar and it will jump to that location, so I never found scrolling to be that much of a problem as long as the files are already sorted on the microSD card. The lack of automatic sorting with TTMenu is kind of annoying though.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER