YouTube ReVanced project releases app manager that patches out ads from the main YouTube app

vancned.png

Rising from the ashes of YouTube Vanced is the ReVanced project, which has seen a major milestone with the release of the ReVanced Manager app. ReVanced came to be after Google went after the original YouTube Vanced app with a cease and desist, resulting in the end of the sideloadable Android app that allowed users to skip sponsors, ads, and other tweaks usually exclusive to the paid YouTube Premium subscription, but for free.

ReVanced does those same things, but exists in the form of an Android app patch, as distributing a pre-patched .apk YouTube client is illegal. Additionally, this project is fully open-source, and you can follow its development on GitHub. Previously, users have been able to use the ReVanced patch, though it required building the patch from the source code. Now, however, the ReVanced Manager has been released, which simply and easily patches the YouTube app. Currently, the manager is in an alpha release, and offers support for patching out timeline ads on Twitter, or general advertisements on the official Reddit app, alongside the primary focus of adding quality of life features to both YouTube and YouTube Music.

This alpha release follows the recent news of YouTube trying out anywhere from 5 to 10 unskippable bumper ads before videos.

:arrow: Source

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well... this doesnt work at all.

Not sure why people are saying that its working, because it isnt.

I did all the steps, installed the apk that it created... and still i get adds, even after patching.

Did anyone actually got it to work using this?

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On the one hand I'm glad I haven't seen an ad on Youtube since about 2010, but on the other hand I wish my eyes were still good enough to even want to watch something like Youtube ads on something smaller than a 32 inch display. Oh, and Haxan: You actually aren't required to watch Youtube Shorts, even on Android.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
We can through a Newpipe link in-app, but it just redirects you to the Newpipe app to download. I can't remember if they're doing it through them to stay safer from a takedown, but it would be nice to have it native in-app.
Although it's annoying having two apps do what only 1 app needs to do, it works, and quite well. Just sad that newpipe tops out at 1080p for videos, and not 4K.

Reactions: LibreNyaa

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States

I did all the steps, installed the apk that it created... and still i get adds, even after patching.

You have to stop using the official YouTube app, and use the newly installed app it just made for you. It's called "YouTube ReVanced" on your phone's desktop. I too thought it wasn't working at first, but my stupid ass kept trying the official YouTube app like an idiot.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Cool.

I'm still using the original YT Vanced so I'll switch when it stops working.
I was thinking that too, but there's so many QoL advantages to this one that I immediately switched, and it's night and day. 10/10, worth the switch-up.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perfect timing! I was getting annoyed with the constant ads showing up in the YT home page in the Vanced App..
And if you use the YouTube / YouTube Music official apps for more than an hour without touching the screen, it asks if you're still using it or else it stops playing. I do see the advantage of it, but I do use it for long periods of time like a radio so that's pointless and a restriction (trying to push users to pay for the sub).

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You have to stop using the official YouTube app, and use the newly installed app it just made for you. It's called "YouTube ReVanced" on your phone's desktop. I too thought it wasn't working at first, but my stupid ass kept trying the official YouTube app like an idiot.

You guys gotta pay attention to the different patches that you are applying. If you install the one that says "custom branding" and says that it changes the icon and the name, you are going to have to look out for it.

Also, there is a patch that enables downloading, to respond to your earlier contention. I haven't tested it. It might not even work.

Hmmm, that's interesting, tho, I tried to patch my Youtube install with it and it just fucked it up, I got a message about split apk not being well supported prior to it tho, gonna stay on Vanced for the moment but I'm eager to be able to use revanced instead...

Did you apply a bunch of patches that it said it doesn't support, or did you attempt a method of trial and error?

Works for me, even thought it says my version is beyond its support.

In the patches list, did you enable "General Ads" and "Video Ads" then install the app as root after it finished?

I used this patcher and patched everything for youtube. It installed fine but the app itself wouldn't open 🤣

Lol. How many of them showed the disclaimer that the version wasn't supported?

Keep in mind that his is Alpha, which means worse than Beta. Even though, it seems that the devs err on the side of caution and that you can get away with a little more than what the app advertises.

Last edited by tabzer,

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I just stopped using YouTube.

Yes, really.

What has become YouTube as of lately? Just a platform for a bunch of people who make money by reading Wikipedia articles out loud, claiming they "analyze" things. The more interesting videos, such as actual documentaries, are on other platforms already and you don't have to see your favorite youtube heroes making an ass of themselves by pulling statistics out of their asses claiming that you're a terrible person because you aren't subscribed to them. A video went viral? I can just look at the news if it's important. Or if it isn't, I'll just watch it on Facebook. Say what you want about Facebook, but at least the videos aren't a 10-minute overexplanation full of clickbait for a 15 seconds video.

Of course there are some good channels on YouTube, like Kurzgesagt, Techmoan, Thunderf00t and the funny AF Adrian Bliss. I support those who I can from Patreon and watch them there.

In 2007 I began "phasing out" my TV. At first by just watching The Simpsons when they aired and my favorite local TV Show. Once they started uploading them on the internet, I stopped using the TV altogether. But, as of the past few years, I've actually watched more TV, due to all the actual shows that are a lot better than some random teenager begging for subscribers while exploiting their userbase as much as they can.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1