YouTube ReVanced project releases app manager that patches out ads from the main YouTube app

vancned.png

Rising from the ashes of YouTube Vanced is the ReVanced project, which has seen a major milestone with the release of the ReVanced Manager app. ReVanced came to be after Google went after the original YouTube Vanced app with a cease and desist, resulting in the end of the sideloadable Android app that allowed users to skip sponsors, ads, and other tweaks usually exclusive to the paid YouTube Premium subscription, but for free.

ReVanced does those same things, but exists in the form of an Android app patch, as distributing a pre-patched .apk YouTube client is illegal. Additionally, this project is fully open-source, and you can follow its development on GitHub. Previously, users have been able to use the ReVanced patch, though it required building the patch from the source code. Now, however, the ReVanced Manager has been released, which simply and easily patches the YouTube app. Currently, the manager is in an alpha release, and offers support for patching out timeline ads on Twitter, or general advertisements on the official Reddit app, alongside the primary focus of adding quality of life features to both YouTube and YouTube Music.

This alpha release follows the recent news of YouTube trying out anywhere from 5 to 10 unskippable bumper ads before videos.

:arrow: Source

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People that don't have Root. You need to install MicroG.

Try installing Vanced MicroG. Seem to work out of the box after me and @VinsCool was playing around yesterday
MicroG already installed so that is not the reason why the patched youtube app opens and immediately closes for me.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Had no problem at all since installing the dead Vanced MicroG personally like Linuxares mentioned.

For some reason I was not able to install a different .apk for MicroG, but as long as it does the job I couldn't care less lol

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well it's still in Alpha. Try clear the cache of the youtube app and see if makes any difference.
Just tried it still no luck. Like I said previously the few people I have seen with the same problem as me all have Samsung phones. That might be the reason or it might not. Who knows lol.

Reactions: linuxares

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
J
Just tried it still no luck lol. Like I said previously the few people I have seen with the same problem as me all have Samsung phones. That might be the reason or it might not. Who knows lol.
Maybe x3

I would honest try to give them a log on their github if possible.

Reactions: AmandaRose

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I tried this and it did not work. All I got an app that wouldn't load.

Unlike the Metaverse which will always work and always be there when you need it. Forever and Ever and Ever and Ever........

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ReVanced doesn't sound very stable as of now, then.

I don't have any complains about Vanced so I'll stick with it. Been using for a few years now and pretty happy with it.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
ReVanced doesn't sound very stable as of now, then.

I don't have any complains about Vanced so I'll stick with it. Been using for a few years now and pretty happy with it.
Honestly after my initial issues where the app was crashing on launch due to MicroG stuff I messed up on my side, ReVanced fixed a LOT of the problems I had with the latest version of Vanced personally.
- random video decoding glitches was fixed for good
- more stable, could watch videos and browse for hours and not progressively getting slower and likely to crash
- MUCH snappier and responsive, faster load times, faster buffering and playback
- quality improvements for the videos, now the image is sharper and crisper for me, and the framerate is also smoother when playing back 60fps videos
- background playback isn't as broken as it used to be (but could still get better I think)

So my review as far as I have used it? A lot better than before, that's undeniable for me.
I especially like the fact that I did not at all expect the improvements in video playback quality, it really blew my mind how I was used to watching videos in a "washed out" kind of look and never realised this until now.
I also expected the app to get bloated, and slower, but no, it legitimately gained a considerable amount of performance with that new ReVanced patch, compared to the dead Vanced, which worked nice still, but had many issues for me.
Obviously this is de-facto a much superior version of the Youtube app now, the stock version is laughably crippled by ads and junk that slows things down like no one.

Thanks again @linuxares for the helpful advices yesterday, I had some annoying troubleshooting but once I got MicroG fix, it ran absolutely great for me :D

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm, that's interesting, tho, I tried to patch my Youtube install with it and it just fucked it up, I got a message about split apk not being well supported prior to it tho, gonna stay on Vanced for the moment but I'm eager to be able to use revanced instead...
Former Vanced user who's using ReVanced now, here (this is my experience, may be different as noted by other users like above);
For now it doesn't offer anything that Vanced didn't already. I would imagine as long as the main YouTube app doesn't get any new features in the coming months, you won't be missing out on anything by sticking with Vanced for a bit.
It's also just slightly more inconvenient to patch and install the APK as we have to now, but gives us more granular control over what features the app has which is nice.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
MicroG already installed so that is not the reason why the patched youtube app opens and immediately closes for me.
I had this problem as well until I grabbed MicroG from TeamVanced Github AND installed version 17.33.42 of the YouTube app via APK. Prior to that, I had YouTube through the Play Store (possibly my problem) and whatever MicroG version I'd happened to be using with Vanced prior. The version of YouTube may not be what's important, it could be the install method.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/PRMX5mX-hvs?si=JdjNrndYJ7PelC7q