GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I expect mostly Order of Ecclesia at the top, and it is awesome. For me, though, Dawn of Sorrow is my personal favorite. The vibe is great. It borders on Saturday-morning Scooby Doo and actual gory vampire movie. Was just a great balance of silliness and character development. Gameplay is amazing (of course, not the shitty touch-screen stuff when at the end of boss battles), and the difficulty was damn-near pitch perfect.

For me the order would be:
  • Dawn of Sorrow
  • OoE (a very close second)
  • Portrait of Ruin (another solid Castlevania that I just didn't fall in love with for whatever reason)
What's your order?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hard to answer this. Three awesome games. I like all of the three very much. They are close together for me when I have to rate them. All of them have a lot of good Castlevania music and I can listen to that for hours.

Portrait of Ruin:
Two protagonists at once is a great idea. Unfortunately this game mechanics are unbalanced. The super attacks just slaughter everything without any effort (so does the subweapon "Shuriken" when mastered). There is simply no difficulty at all until you reach Dracula (and the Nest of Evil). Since I want a challenge when playing a game this one comes last for me.

Dawn of Sorrow: Frustrating soul collecting – having to harvest multiple of very rare drops to max out attacks and use souls for forging weapons. No cheap spamming the bosses with super attacks in this title – though the overall difficulty is pretty low and a small amount of grinding can help anybody to overcome obstacles.
About the "draw a magic circle" touch part: I've seen people expressing extreme hate about this. Never understood this. Did I like it? No. Did I care? Not really. It's not permanent forced touch controls like the DS Zelda games or Star Fox or anything like this. Two seconds drawing some lines… and done.

Order of Ecclesia: Most convincing in the graphics department and the difficulty is higher than on the previous titles. Grinding will not help much if you don't practice hard enemies or bosses. I've yet to play hard mode with Lv.1 cap. This will be brutal. The variety of locations (not only the castle), the difficulty and Shanoa are reason enough to give it first place.
============

I really miss classic 2D Castlevania titles, both the simple linear and the Metroidvania style games. My dream would be a modern HD version all from Castlevania I to Order of Ecclesia in one collection with a button assigned to seamlessly switch between classic look, sound and feel and modern HD (This is so well done on "Day of the Tentacle – Remastered")

Edit:
I forgot to mention this. Those game have become so expensive and hard to get! I bought them for about 10 Euros each when they were almost new. Nobody seemed to want them. Especially Dawn of Sorrow was everywhere, sometimes for less than €5.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jonathon!
Charlotte!
Jonathon!
Charlotte!

Portrait of Ruin is one of my favorites in the series. Then again, Harmony of Dissonance is my favorite GBA Castlevania, so what do I know? :P

I think OoE and DoS are probably the better games overall, but I liked the characters, story and unique map setup in PoR. Also it's neat that it ties in with Bloodlines on the Genesis.

Reactions: GeekyGuy

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The first was the only one that grabbed my attention, though today I would suggest you play with hacks to dodge the annoying seals and touchscreen gimmicks as well as fix a few things
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hac...e=20&order=&dir=&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go

The others were playable enough but never really felt compelling in the same way as some of the GBA efforts and the first DS one. I appreciated the difference in environments from the second but they seldom seemed to do anything with it. That said I might give the third another go, don't know if with cheats or without. Though I also have the XBLA one to look at properly.

Reactions: GeekyGuy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...