Your move Nintendo! What you gonna do next!?

Do you want new content and details with each console/device/system updates?

• I wish for new content and details with my updates.

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Updates are fine how they are, bring on the "Stability Enhancements"

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off i like to thank @smileyhead for this set up, as i literally stated this as a status on my page and he delivered well. So thanks. :)

Now without further ado here we go.

HJeC8uRl.jpg

This picture says it all! Is been about over a year for nintendo with the 3ds and wii u and I am disappointed in them as a consumer and player. The last major "USEFUL" update for each console was the 9.0 on 3ds with theme and 5.0.0 With something i can't remember. (is been that long is forgetable) And that was over a year ago. Is that awful.

As you know, most likely when people here who find exploits for systems, nintendo do whatever they can to fix them. When games get announced, they pull it from the eshop, and they put out their beloved "Increase system stability to enhance user experience" updates that sound like the annoying recording of a message on a telephone or some kind of chant you hear in a song. Is annoying and all it does is prevent exploits. I understand what they are for but is disappointing.

While the reason for this isn't to complain about them patching exploits since is normal, is to address the issue of them abusing updates. Usually when i see a update available, is exciting to find out what new features they added or what problems they fixed. Not to just update to see the same exact things unchanged. When wii u got update to have display in wii mode, i was fliping off my bed with the idea of using emulators, backup loaders, and newly added nintendon't with the game pad. Yeah is nothing special after awhile and would be more useful if you could actually use the gamepad on the wii mode but it was big deal for me. As far as that goes, it was the biggest improvement they made to the system. With other updates being about moving icons, deleting that Nintendo TVII thing, and some other apps moved around. That is it, as of late.

3DS has many updates according to the number 11.0.0-33 I guess is update 33 is resent one. It has come a long way since 2011 March launch date with is $250 price tag, to being reduced, the ambassador program, the 3ds xl, 2ds, and new 3ds systems, and so far. I went to visit the pre release of the console heald at a train station here in new york during the red cross Japan earthquake incident with my mother and younger sister. With the only games available were some lego starwars game and super street fighter IV 3D To show off the 3d function, aside from that was the built in apps, ar games, face raiders, 3ds camera and mii maker.

At the time these games were all they had for display and were kinda disappointing. I did play the games, and enjoyed it while i was there, but only two actual games and the rest were system titles. The only purpose was to show off the 3DS gimmick. Ar games requires the AR cards that come with the system that has never been supported beyond release date. The face raiders is only fun for so long, all you do is take pictures of people faces and use it as targets in a AR game, much like AR games with the cards, it doesn't need cards to play. The camera is a 0.6 Megapixel camera with a resolution of 640X480 (seriously couldn't even be 720X480 wide screen?) It was later updated to record video as well, and the well known mii maker, which uses the camera to capture a picture of your face and attempts to use the built in optimizations to make the mii character look like you. All of this was the first impression, meaning main selling points of the console that lost its charm beyond release and never supported or spoke about again.

Over the years, it had released games, each using different features of the system. Cubic ninja and freaky forms uses camera to do something (I honestly dunno since i never played them) Kid icarus uprising had ar cards that came with it where you can view the character of said card in a 3d model inside the 3ds screen and have them battle other character cards. (Probably would been a good idea for any card game like pokemon Trading cards, Yu-Gi-Oh card battles, Magic the gathering, etc.) Pokedex 3d which allowed you full access to pokemon database and take 3D pictures of pokemon models with real life Surrounding back grounds, Kingdom hearts 3D (Dream Drop Distance) With the monsters you collect like Dragon warrior monsters on gameboy.... or pokemon and some others i am probably missing for sure. Besides that i dunno what else to say, they just been verry inconsistent with their content for detail.

From what i remember, updates as far as system software goes are for Recording 3D videos, Enabling qr code functions, adding a theme downloader and selector, Save data backup, adding folders to home menu, miiverse, and Mii plaza. Maybe there is more i am forgetting but as of 9.0 all of that is now present with the theme settings being the latest addition. and 2 numbers later from 9.0 - 11.0.0-33 We have nothing new but.... well you saw the picture. "INCREASED USER STABILITY AND ENHANCE USER EXPERIENCE"

I'm sorry, they could just put more effort into their updates than patching exploits. People who probably don't even care for homebrew or exploits are probably wondering why each update changes nothing. Fixes no problems, adds no new feature. It could even try to sound like it did something good. Increase limit of games on home menu from 300 to whatever, Added a theme customizer, Remove 100 friend limit restirction. Add option to turn back light off, so you can save more battery during play or play classic style with a lamp or light just like we did back in 1995. Add controller support to turn your 3ds to a wii u controller to use on wii u. I thought the smash controller was a very smart idea. ANYTHING To add significant value to the system updates. And i am not just talking about nintendo, it goes for anyone, sony, microsoft, Android, ios, WHATEVER.

I want details of what was done, not just the same line with not actual change log so when someone goes to read the back log of updates for the system all you see is the same "Stability enhancement" Quote for so many updates that is over 5 years long and more than half of those 33 updates are just that and nothing additonal. Is just abusing the appeal of a update. Is become more of a "Why bother updating, it didn't actually fix anything for me, is the same stuff. Look there it is, improve system stabilitty.... my web browser still freezes, it didn't improve nothing."

Sorry is so long, i just wanted to say this. To be honest the picture is a joke and is supposed to be taken that way but these words are not really a joke as they started to be the more i started typing this out. I dunno if most of you agree with me about this but i like my updates to be updates, contain new content, features and fixes serious problems with overall usage. Not be disaappointed every time one show up and nothing has changed visually or notabily.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
They have to do something to make the system 'more stable' so that the system is seen as safe from a developer point of view.
Nintendo are not the only people to do this, Windows does this, OSX does this, Sony do this (I don't know about Xbox, don't have one). Hell the pas few hundred updates for OSX have been system stability and 'raw printer support'.
If you don't like the updates, don't update, if you don't like not updating, update. It's part and parcel of modern computer systems, it isn't going to change any time soon.

Reactions: NEP

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
@Sonic Angel Knight
Your feelings make perfect sense from the perspective of a user/hacker. It's frustrating when the only purpose updates seem to serve is to foil the attempts of hackers to modify the way the system works and nothing which, in our view, improves the way the system works.

However, if you look at it from Nintendo's perspective as a business, all these 'stability' updates are necessary. Nintendo makes money from selling hardware, games, accessories like Amiibo, and licenses to other developers to develop for the system. I don't know the figures for Nintendo hardware, but gaming systems are generally sold with a minimal profit margin or even at a loss, meaning the software and accessories have to make up the shortfall and generate profit for the company. Now we all know that homebrew entrypoints can enable the use custom firmware, game piracy, Amiibo emulation etc. If Nintendo just allowed this to happen then they would lose more and more profit to piracy; other developers of Nintendo games would too, and if they felt that Nintendo wasn't protecting their investment in the platform then they would move on to a different system and Nintendo would lose more. Loss of profit kills businesses, so I'm actually glad that Nintendo attempts to protect their game systems. Yes it makes it more difficult for those who want to exploit the system, but I'd rather deal with that and have Nintendo get as much return as possible to reinvest in new systems, new games and new developers.

Last edited by mashers,

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Sonic Angel Knight
Your feelings make perfect sense from the perspective of a user/hacker. It's frustrating when the only purpose updates seem to serve is to foil the attempts of hackers to modify the way the system works and nothing which, in our view, improves the way the system works.

However, if you look at it from Nintendo's perspective as a business, all these 'stability' updates are necessary. Nintendo makes money from selling hardware, games, accessories like Amiibo, and licenses to other developers to develop for the system. I don't know the figures for Nintendo hardware, but gaming systems are generally sold with a minimal profit margin or even at a loss, meaning the software and accessories have to make up the shortfall and generate profit for the company. Now we all know that homebrew entrypoints can enable the use custom firmware, game piracy, Amiibo emulation etc. If Nintendo just allowed this to happen then they would lose more and more profit to piracy; other developers of Nintendo games would too, and if they felt that Nintendo wasn't protecting their investment in the platform then they would move on to a different system and Nintendo would lose more. Loss of profit kills businesses, so I'm actually glad that Nintendo attempts to protect their game systems. Yes it makes it more difficult for those who want to exploit the system, but I'd rather deal with that and have Nintendo get as much return as possible to reinvest in new systems, new games and new developers.
I understand all that. I am not saying they shouldn't ignore updates for exploits, just maybe add more effort to presenting updates with new content other than just being a exploit fix. I mean is not a problem that i make it seem as if they should ignore exploits and patching them, i just mean that having something to look forward to with a update is what make them a update. Whenever you get updates with games, is usually adding new content like for dlc, or something else, new features, or fixing a problem (Rebalance gameplay in some common cases) Which is all fine, you want to keep the game as playable as long as possible. But I have nothing against updates or the reasons they do it. I understand completly. I just wish they weren't so predictable. :)

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Interesting POV, although updates are always going to be like this. From a business perspective (assuming you've decided exploits/bugs/whatever are not beneficial and need to be removed) there's no benefit in not releasing a patch whose sole purpose is to fix it ASAP. Taking the (untrue) homebrew = lost sales line of attack, every second you hold back a hotfix so you can bundle it in with a bigger update is losing you money. It's easy to just change a few lines of code, bump the version number and hope people download it without thinking rather than trying to hold everything back and bundling it all into one update. Worth noting that the second approach practically guarantees more vulnerable devices as well.

An interesting parallel to this is Windows Update - a different model for delivering bugfixes that has been designed so that nobody really notices it exists (until the updates are downloaded and it's too late, system is halting NOW!) You don't see anyone complaining about it (except for the aforementioned restarts) because it doesn't pitch itself as "updates" in the traditional sense happily continue filling security holes. They'll even release stuff like Service Packs to direct the "just security, nah" people away from the real bugfixes. Some; there's no steadily incrementing version number or linear relationship between versions: some may argue there's no versions at all. To compensate for this, Microsoft delivers another kind of "update" - stuff like the Win10 Anniversary Edition that actually adds features instead of silently (ish) patching issues. This distinction creates an interesting ecosystem where people can rag on the Anniversary Edition for features and "oh I like my PC the way it is no updates" while Microsoft canone is sitting in a boardroom laughing.

This isn't even touching stuff like the initial release of Windows 10 which was pitched as more of an update than a new product. Mac OS has done this forever, with the core OS having a steadily incrementing number and other patches off to the side; although they tend to pack features into core update as well (I'd imagine they can do this because most bugs are in non-core modules so they can be covered by "other patches off to the side".)

All in all I'd argue that the issue isn't the content of the update; but rather the method of delivery that's causing these sentiments.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thisture says it all!
Erm... To be honest, I would say that picture says less than the actual words on it. And your post is... It's interesting, but I think you miss the reason updates were ever made. It was to fix what was broken. Extra features and stuff only came later, perhaps as an incentive to get everyone to that version or even an apology for the existence of the bugs in the first place. Expecting something for an update is like expecting a present for not breaking the law. It's not that it doesn't make sense, but it's at the same time a bit silly.

As already mentioned, bug fixes usually work in the background or in exceptional cases. And unless you're a power user or one suffering from a bug, you shouldn't care much about the update.
If you choose to gripe about the lack of new features...well...I guess you can do that. I have no idea why updates are to blame, but hey... Whatever you want to gripe about.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night