Gaming Your DS Game Of The Year 2009

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have three or so on the top of my list.

Definitely GTA: Chinatown Wars because it showed that GTA games don't have to be in third person view to be good (because many were hoping for third person view on the DS). Or maybe it was just fun. Also, Mario and Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story because of the awesome gameplay (switching between Bowser and M&L and all the little fun things in between) that still encompassed the original fighting mechanics. And last, Phantasy Star Zero, just because it was awesome to play with friends and I really got hooked.

Other pretty good titles are Kingdom Hearts and Prof. Layton.

A few unhyped DS games worth mentioning are Sideswiped, probably one of the best racing games on the DS, and also Fighting Fantasy...because we barely have any first person dungeon crawlers and it's pretty good.

There's probably a few others that I missed, but thats my list for 2009.

Would anyone be interested in doing reviews? Last year, my review compilation failed, but I'm up to try it again. (If you don't remember/weren't here, I was thinking about putting together many temper's video reviews of the top 2009 DS games and then putting it on youtube. Would be a great way to start off my new channel, actually
yaynds.gif
)

Vayne25

Trophies
XP
Country
#1 GTA - this is definitely the years winner, sorry for those new action-rpgs this year but they just get goring on the long run, whereas playing GTACW is infinitely entertaining, lots of things to do, lots of stuff to destroy.

#2 M&L BIS - I just can't help having fun with Mario RPGs, every mario RPG gets better and thats what we like about it. Maybe a 4 team party next time?

#3 SMT Devil Survivor - this was my first shot at the SMT series and I was deeply addicted to it, the story of this game could possibly give you doubts to your religion or faith - that's how good it is.. in a bad way lol

*Honorable - Zelda Spirit Tracks??? - is it too late to prove itself a nominee this year? PH was epic and if this would be much

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Bowser's Inside Story is hilarious and fun... if not a bit too easy compared to its predecessors...

Chinatown Wars definitely succeeded in making a quality Grand Theft Auto experience on the DS... Well, until GTA4 raised the bar again... BUT STILL.

Made in Ore was fun for its creativity value, if that counts. It's like Mario Paint times five.

hahahahaha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
GTA Chinatown Wars
SMT: Devil Survivor
KH 358/2 Days

Maybe Spirit Tracks...we will see.(Dang it, come out already!)

Donato_Dobango

Trophies
Website
www.fairuseradio.com
XP
Country
United States
Mine is so far off the norm that it's the anti-list of 2009:

Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier
Suikoden Tierkreis
Big Bang Mini
Peggle DS
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Legendary Starfy
My World, My Way

Reasons other games did not make my list:

Scribblenauts - the controls completely ruined the fun for me. Hopefully its sequel will give us d-pad control for our character and stylus control for objects. Once the handcuffs/soda machine cheat hit the net I resorted to that out of frustration

GTA: Chinatown Wars - A decent GTA game in the original 2 games vein made tedious for me by all the needless stylus minigames and missions/drug wars that are way too easy compared to GTA 1 or 2.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - I have yet to play a KH game. The super long tutorial on this one didn't help that.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - The S-RPG game play drove me away but I might revisit this one down the road.

Ventus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I must say, that even though there's been lots of good games this year, the one I've enjoyed the most is... Unbelievably enough... Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time.
It's sincerely difficult to beat the gameplay of being a gang of four teaming up as well as ruining for eachother. In contrast to the majority I also loved the storyline, I thought it was rather intriguing.

The best game of the year though must've been Golden Sun and it's sequel The Lost Age. It's probably the fifth time I play them through thoroughly, although I still enjoyed it far more than playing Assassin's Creed II for instance.

Cheers!

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ventus said:
The best game of the year though must've been Golden Sun and it's sequel The Lost Age.
o.o
Golden Sun didn't come out this year. I'm pretty sure "Game of the Year 2009" indicates that the game was actually released during 2009...

Ventus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
tinymonkeyt said:
Ventus said:
The best game of the year though must've been Golden Sun and it's sequel The Lost Age.
o.o
Golden Sun didn't come out this year. I'm pretty sure "Game of the Year 2009" indicates that the game was actually released during 2009...
Haha, I only mention it to indicate that I'm sort of disappointed in this years releases as well as I'd like to get it out of my system how much I long for Golden Sun DS.
biggrin.gif

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would have to Suikoden Tierkreis. Even though it was released last year in Japan, it was in English in 2009. I have failed to find a game that drew me in as much as this game, probably because it helped stave of the lack of Golden Sun on the DS.

Ryufushichou

I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!
Trophies
XP
Country
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days
Pokemon HG/SS

These are the only 2 games i can think of right now.

(im so happy there was a G/S remake, ever since LG/FR i was hoping for one
ph34r.gif
)

100action

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Suikoden Tierkreis

I have not touched any of the HS or SS as i am waiting for the english dump, as that game is the only chance of piping Suikoden Tierkreis as GOTY.

ericling

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
The game I spent my most time is Harvest Moon: Sunshine Island..That's game suck me a lot..The story line is interesting and there's lot fun thing inside.
And Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days managed to suck me too.I dun really play RPG but this game is the only one RPG that suck me.. So it is quite success too..
And another make me "SNAP!" is Big Bang Mini,the game's graphic,gameplay,control was awesome.The game was cool and very attractive too.Another cool game I think is Rhythm Heaven.The game got a lot creative stage that I never think about it..The gameplay was cool..Can give it a try but cheat is recommended as you have various stage to play.Sideswiped probably the best driving game I play...It is LOT better than Need For Speed DS series.. Worth to give it a try..

And as honorable mentions:
Scribblenauts(Very creative and epic but it dun suck me..)
Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver( I am not a Pokemon Fans so I haven play it
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (Will play it soon)
Grand Thief Auto:China Town War(I dun play it..Not suitable for my age
unsure.gif
)
Legend of Zelda :Spirit Track(Looks great but I dun weak in puzzle)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8dBxGdNxk