Your best games of 2012?

kisamesama

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a list of the best games i played in 2012..all are on pc :)

1. Darksiders 1 and 2 (it's great! lol)
2. Sleeping dogs
3. Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 (I play one each year :))
4. Black Ops 2
5. Batman Arkham City (Haven't finished it yet though lol)

And you? what are your top games of 2012?

Reactions: DS1

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi, Wonder Woman! Nice list.. Mine are not all released in 2012 but here are my latest likings :

- Auditorium
- Home
- Morrowind
- Zombies

weavile001

Spiritmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
new super mario bros u
rhythm heaven fever
darksiders 2
mass effect 3
pokemon BW 2
resident evil 6
assassins kleber creed 3
inazuma eleven 2
far cry 3

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Best games I played this year:

VLR (still playing it actually)
Batman Arkham Asylum
Assassins Creed 3 (although I didn't like the ending)
Borderlands 2
KH 3D

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Katawa Shoujo
Zero Escape: VLR
Tales of Graces F
Gravity Rush
Smite (the one true MOBA)

Uuuh. Probably a few more, but too lazy to go look them up, and can't think of them off the top of my head.
Honorable mention to Far Cry 3, which could have been a lot higher up on my list if it was actually challenging.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dragon's Dogma, Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3. Aside from these I haven't really seen many interesting games released this year. :/

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Mass effect 3 and Borderlands 2. Pretty much the only 2 games this year I had a lot of fun playing. Dishonored gets a mention, it was pretty fun for a bit. I feel like there should be more, but this year in gaming hasn't been that amazing IMO.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
With being made homeless and thus losing access to the modern consoles these last 12 months or so, I feel I'm missed out on some games that would have been shoe-ins for this list, but to be fair my 3DS has done an admirable job of picking up the slack this year. Tales of the Abyss was excellent, Resident Evil Revelations is simply stunning, Kid Icarus Uprising was practically an orgasm for my eyes, it's been a pretty solid year overall, all things considered. I've seen the system I spent £230 on blossom from a neat gadget into a truly indispensible piece of kit with unique and fascinating games. I look forward to seeing how this is capitalised on in the coming year.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we're doing games I played in 2012, some honorable mentions:
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning: Not a perfect game but I found it to feel a lot better than Skyrim. Not a great game but if you wanted a big open world WRPG that isn't full of Elder Scrolls, KoA is the best. Also this game came out this year.
  • Rayman Origins: Technically I picked it up early this year after the price tanked from about $60 in November of last year to like $20 in March. Best 2D platformer of the generation easily. Really a ton of effort put into it. It shows that Ubisoft really has some balls to build an entirely new engine and make an entirely new retail game for a rather dead franchise. Groundbreaking 2D animation, awesome level design, and the best difficulty curve in gaming.
  • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: I ordered it January 2012 according to my Amazon list. People give a ton of shit to Capcom and yes, this is a bit of a cash-in after MvC3 but it's still a damn fine game with a lot of improvements and a frequent party game amongst my friends. An enjoyable fighter with a great cast that pleases both Capcom and Marvel fans.
  • The Binding of Isaac: While I think McMillen is a bit of an emo cunt after watching Indie Game: The Movie, it's a fun game. Really waiting for the Vita version as it seems well tailored for handhelds.
  • Bastion: I only played it this year and it's really one of the best games I've played. It's a real labor of love that pushes atmosphere and storytelling to places I've never felt. Also easily the best soundtrack for a video game.
  • Rayman: Jungle Run: Yeah, give me shit for a cell phone game but the shit's fun. Really combines the art of Rayman Origins on a fun, pick-up-and-play handheld format. It's also quite challenging. Only complaint is that it's short unless you're a completionist.
That's about it for now.

Reactions: Tom Bombadildo

kisamesama

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sleeping dogs and darksiders 2 were awesome! i am usually not fond of open world and rpg but i really enjoyed sleeping dogs and darksiders 1 and 2

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, in all honesty, I've only played a handful of games that were released in 2012 (seriously, I think I can count all of them on 2 hands, and almost all of them were on 3DS). Here are some of my favorites... Aside from the first, none of them are in any particular order, and this list doesnt include ports or rereleases (such as the eShop release of Cave Story).

Kid Icarus: Uprising- My favorite game of 2012, by far. I'm not going to deny that the controls will definitely be a turnoff for some. But with some practice, the right sized hands, or a good, cheap thumb stylus, that issue is gone. Once that's out of the way, the gameplay is fun, the script is hilarious, and the story is deceptively engaging. And it's definitely the best online experience I've ever had on a handheld, hands down.

Halo 4- Do I even need to say anything about this one? Reach was a great game and arguably perfected Halo's gameplay formula, but it didn't quite satisfy the itch I had to see what happened to the Master Chief after the semi-cliffhanger ending of Halo 3. I haven't finished playing Halo 4's campaign (only halfway through), and I've only touched online like twice, but I absolutely love it so far. 343 has arguably outdone Bungie, here.

Mutant Mudds- Sure, it bases much of its appeal on nostalgic throwback, but it does it quite well. It's got the graphics, it's got the music, and it's even got the difficulty... what more could you ask for in such a throwback? Complements by more modern features (a good 3D effect and free DLC!) are a nice touch, too.

I haven't played enough of these to give a fair conclusion to them, but I also enjoyed Resident Evil: Revelations, Liberation Maiden, Fractured Soul, and Fez, too.

As for games that I played for the first time in 2012, but released in earlier years, here's some of my favorites (in no particular order)...

A crapload of Mega Man games- After years of dabbling in the various Mega Man games and then giving up because of their difficulty, I finally happened upon "easy scenario" in the Mega Man Zero Collection for DS (yeah, I know, I'm a wimp). I played through it and loved the gameplay and story, prompting me to play through all the Mega Man games, but on the regular difficulty. I plowed through Mega Man X and X2 on 100%, finally muscled my way through Mega Man Zero 1 on normal difficulty (I swear, that too WAYYYYYYYYY too long), and picked up a PSP 3000 just so I could play Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X (also 100%, normal difficulty). Right now, I'm working on an original Mega Man run and a Mega Man ZX run, and I'm really liking both. The only sour taste I've had thus far is Mega Man X8... ugh, I gave up after 20 minutes, the controls were clunky, and the tutorials were so not-Mega Man.

Cave Story- My first experience with this game was the 3DS eShop version that came out this year, but since it's just a port, I'm not counting it for the 2012 games. I don't know how I passed this game over so many times. It's like a love letter to every old game I like.

Sonic Generations- I actually haven't played a Sonic game since Shadow the Hedgehog which, unlike most, I actually liked. But I heard all the terrible things about Sonic 06 and Unleashed, so I didn't have many hopes. The fact that I consider the Adventure titles to be terrible games (despite liking them) didn't really help. But when I picked up Generations, I was thoroughly surprised. For the first time, 3D Sonic felt fast and smooth, the way he's supposed to be. Easily the best Sonic game I've ever played.

Metroid Prime Trilogy- What happens when you take a pair of archaic, single-stick shooters, and give them motion aiming? They become really fun shooters on the cutting edge. Who knew?

Super Mario Galaxy- I was expecting another good 3D Mario game when I picked this up, but I wasn't expecting it to be this freaking GOOD.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land- Laugh all you want, I think this game is LOADS better than NSMBWii, despite being a bit too easy for the first few worlds. The music, gameplay, multiplayer, music, and even finall boss battle were all amazing (something I often find myself disappointed with in more modern games).

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D- The first Zelda game I played, remastered with better visuals, 3D effect, better frame rate, smoother controls, and new play options taking advantage of the 3DS's special features? Sign me up! The fact that it includes Master Quest and a boss rush mode helps, too. This is the definitive version of a classic, which doesn't happen too often with remakes.

So there you have it. Off the top of my head, anyway. Happy New Year, everyone. :)

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Catherine_Cover_Art.png

Tales_of_Graces_F.jpg

Virtue's_Last_Reward_3DS_Boxart.jpg

These are the standout title I've played. Other good games I played were: