Yifan Lu Announces HENKaku - A New Native Vita Homebrew Enabler for 3.60.

Earlier today, Yifan Lu, a well-known member of the Vita hacking scene famous for the Rejuvenate hack for the Dev Assistants, has announced that a new (native!) Vita homebrew enabler for the latest firmware version, as of writing (3.60), will be arriving tomorrow at "9:00AM UTC".

The new hack, known as "HENKaku", will require the following:
  • A Vita/PSTV running 3.60
  • A memcard with at least 10MB of free space (internal memory is currently not supported!)
  • An FTP client
  • An internet connection**
**Offline support is now available! Launch the exploit straight from the email app without the need for internet access at all! See the unofficial release thread for more details. (Internet connection still required for installation)

This is a small paragraph of Yifan Lu himself explaining what the properties of this new homebrew enabler does:

HENkaku simply lets you install homebrew as bubbles in LiveArea. It is a native hack that disables the filesystem sandbox. It installs molecularShell, a fork of VitaShell that lets you access the memory card over FTP and install homebrew packages (which we create as VPK files). With vita-toolchain, developers have access to the same system features licensed developers have access to as well as undocumented features that licensed developers cannot use (including overclocking the processors).

The hack has been released at http://henkaku.me ~ Furthermore, the hack is said to be exclusive to 3.60, and there is to be no backports for the time being.

:arrow: Source: http://yifan.lu/2016/07/28/henkaku-vita-homebrew-for-everyone/

Last edited by , , Reason: Added info about offline installation.

anthrax132

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Supposedly we can reach vd0 and tm0 via FTP but I can't test it by myself.

Tried it right now, works like a charm

Edit: In fact, pushed a little further, and here's the list of the partitions we have access to:

app0:
gro0:
os0:
pd0:
sa0:
tm0:
ud0:
ur0:
ux0:
vd0:
vs0:
(and maybe grw0: also, but don't have a cart with it right now)

List of partitions taken from http://yifan.lu/2014/10/17/ps-vita-3-30-filesystem-listing/

Last edited by anthrax132,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, i just guess it's random when or how often it installs. Cause after some reboots, it works. so i did install but now ftp wont function properly, is it possible to have just used usb for this? i can't seem to transfer any files. :unsure:

alucard_xs

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Great, didn't realize this, but when you run MolecularShell it will report it on PSN, so sign out of PSN before using it, especially when you have some money invested into PSN, bans could be issued.
you're right but is there anyway to bypass this ? I've got some games to download from the PSN ...

Yokimari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a risk you're going to have to take, but it's unlikely that Sony are actively checking for it.

I signed out of PSN completely, unfortunately the evidence is there that I ran molecularshell, so who knows.. Hopefully I'll be fine. Sony isn't known to ban for running homebrew applications in the past, and most exploits are fixed with a firmware update.

Last edited by Yokimari,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure about that ? I mean the app should be writen in the NAND so even offline, the next time we'll go online, the evidence will still be there ...
If you are that paranoid then maybe delete the app after using it, format your system, or don't use it. I use hax on 3ds and havent been banned yet. just be careful. Turn off wifi or change privacy settings if possible. disconnect from psn. just some ideas that will help :)

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Police are going to be at your house in riot gear knocking your door down.

If you're worried about it, download what you need from the store while you can. We'll all lose store access once Sony release a new update anyway.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't even play the games on my pstv anyway, every time i try, i load a game with a error code, and i can't fix it. So is just my situation.

also before using the hax, it says it will void warrant, if you are worried then don't use it.
now if someone can tell me what is wrong with ftp i be happy to know how i can fix it.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

MysticRacer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Tried it right now, works like a charm

Edit: In fact, pushed a little further, and here's the list of the partitions we have access to:

app0:
gro0:
os0:
pd0:
sa0:
tm0:
ud0:
ur0:
ux0:
vd0:
vs0:
(and maybe grw0: also, but don't have a cart with it right now)

List of partitions taken from http://yifan.lu/2014/10/17/ps-vita-3-30-filesystem-listing/

How did you access all the partitions? Because with molecularShell you can't access all of them neither with VitaFTP

Inaki

Trophies
XP
Country
The actual hardware destroys the New 3DS. But a consoles homebrew scene is only as good as its software, and the 3DS scene is the most active scene right now by a huge margin. Here's hoping the Vita scene takes off.

Installed this today, sacrificed my 3.18 for it (I can use my PSP for that stuff anyway). Much easier to use than Rejuvenate. The existing homebrew doesn't seem to perform any differently to my Rejuvenate setup in 333MHz mode, but early days yet.

What about dynarec though ? Are we able to allocate RWX pages in usermode apps ? Maybe @yifan_lu or @Voxel Studios can shed some light into this...

kiryu1

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a 3.15 and 3.18fw vitas right now. Do I just update to 3.60 or wait?

I'm afraid that a 3.60fw< might suddenly appear and lose all of my chance for a..possibly..vita cart dumper and loader..

Last edited by kiryu1,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have a 3.15 and 3.18fw vitas right now. Do I just update to 3.60 or wait?

I'm afraid that a 3.60fw> might suddenly appear and lose all of my chance for a..possibly..vita cart dumper and loader..
If you have a PSP anyway then you may as well update. But you can update to 3.60 offline if it comes to it so you'll never be in a position where you cannot update.

Reactions: kiryu1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone