Yifan Lu Announces HENKaku - A New Native Vita Homebrew Enabler for 3.60.

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Voxel, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK

Earlier today, Yifan Lu, a well-known member of the Vita hacking scene famous for the Rejuvenate hack for the Dev Assistants, has announced that a new (native!) Vita homebrew enabler for the latest firmware version, as of writing (3.60), will be arriving tomorrow at "9:00AM UTC".

The new hack, known as "HENKaku", will require the following:
    • A Vita/PSTV running 3.60
    • A memcard with at least 10MB of free space (internal memory is currently not supported!)
    • An FTP client
    • An internet connection**
    **Offline support is now available! Launch the exploit straight from the email app without the need for internet access at all! See the unofficial release thread for more details. (Internet connection still required for installation)

This is a small paragraph of Yifan Lu himself explaining what the properties of this new homebrew enabler does:

HENkaku simply lets you install homebrew as bubbles in LiveArea. It is a native hack that disables the filesystem sandbox. It installs molecularShell, a fork of VitaShell that lets you access the memory card over FTP and install homebrew packages (which we create as VPK files). With vita-toolchain, developers have access to the same system features licensed developers have access to as well as undocumented features that licensed developers cannot use (including overclocking the processors).

The hack has been released at http://henkaku.me ~ Furthermore, the hack is said to be exclusive to 3.60, and there is to be no backports for the time being.

:arrow: Source: http://yifan.lu/2016/07/28/henkaku-vita-homebrew-for-everyone/

Last edited by Voxel, Aug 11, 2016 - Reason: Added info about offline installation.
    SLiV3R, sblast3, marc00077 and 33 others like this.

2. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    :rolleyes:

Voxel and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Oh, I do apologise! I didn't think the site was up yet! I will add it to the OP immediately! :P

Vappy likes this.
  4. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    Do we have any idea if this will have full filesystem access?

If so then VHBL, custom themes, whitelist hack, offline account switching etc. would become possible on 3.60 without any assistance from a lower FW Vita.

Last edited by metroid maniac, Jul 28, 2016
  5. Fpi

Fpi Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2016
    Will this allow running PSP stuff like the other exploits?

6. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    No, as far as I am aware; it will just allow for native Vita homebrew (that can also be installed to the home screen as bubbles) and that's it.

But apparently with this new exploit, we get the same access that official licensed developers would get to the system with their games and apps, so we have that bit more elevated access than Rejuvenate, that was quite limited.

https://henkaku.xyz/usage/

By the way, it seems that it's only a "semi-tethered" thing, meaning that you will have to run the exploit each time you reboot the device; a bit like the Wii U's kernel exploit.
    And it requires an internet connection every time, so that's one of the cons of this exploit... but it's not something I'm gonna likely lose sleep over.

Last edited by Voxel, Jul 28, 2016
    CuriousTommy and Fpi like this.
  7. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    This is amazing :O
    Hopefully the scene will finally grow like it did with the 3DS.

Last edited by TheKawaiiDesu, Jul 28, 2016
    memomo, DKB, pustal and 2 others like this.
  8. metroid maniac

May 16, 2009
    Like the PSP, the Vita's highly efficient sleep mode means this HEN approach isn't much of a problem.

Last edited by metroid maniac, Jul 28, 2016
    sfn27 and Voxel like this.
  9. Vappy

May 23, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Yifanlu also said it'll be open source eventually, with more news next week. Would allow for other developers to backport to older firmwares, maybe add ePSP support.

Last edited by Vappy, Jul 28, 2016
    Zukrinhr and CuriousTommy like this.
  10. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    Is it worth updating from... (I cannot check what my vita is on, the battery is entirely dead from disuse, charging now) I think 3.31 or 3.36, or best to stay?

11. metroid maniac

May 16, 2009
    If you're at or below 3.51, then you already have access to Rejuvenate. It's better to wait and see.

12. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    But Yifan-lu's site is implying this is better than rejuvenate with access to overclocking etc

13. metroid maniac

May 16, 2009
    yuyuyup likes this.
  14. SignZ

SignZ Timelord

Jul 16, 2008
    Germany
    Amazing news. While it's "just" for homebrew (at the moment), it's still really awesome for those of us on 3.60.

15. Fpi

Fpi Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2016
    That's excellent, this would be my ideal state for the vita.

Zukrinhr likes this.
  16. metroid maniac

May 16, 2009
    It's less awesome for us in the uncertain territories of 3.52 and 3.55... Now I have to choose between my eCFW hax and native Vita hax :cry:

SignZ likes this.
  17. Voxel
    OP

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    You never know; eCFW may make a return some day for later/latest firmwares... :ph34r:
    (btw, I wonder whatever happened to TheFlow's private PSP-side kernel exploit for 3.57...)

18. Vappy

May 23, 2012
    It's better than Rejuvenate because it allows for installing homebrews to the Live Area as bubbles, so you don't need to bother with the cumbersome process of starting homebrew through the PSM Debugger, and of course because it works on the latest firmware. Might motivate a more active homebrew scene. If you're happy enough with Rejuvenate and Vitashell, and/or don't want to lose ePSP CFW, you might not want to update yet. Who knows, this might be incentive enough for someone to release a new ePSP kexploit for access to all the fun stuff on 3.60.

yuyuyup likes this.
  19. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
  20. metroid maniac

May 16, 2009
    Maybe he was just waiting for a way for 3.57 users to actually be able to install it :ha:. I assume it's going to be possible to overwrite PBOOT.PBPs like we do with the email exploit, right?

Voxel likes this.