Yifan Lu Announces HENKaku - A New Native Vita Homebrew Enabler for 3.60.

Earlier today, Yifan Lu, a well-known member of the Vita hacking scene famous for the Rejuvenate hack for the Dev Assistants, has announced that a new (native!) Vita homebrew enabler for the latest firmware version, as of writing (3.60), will be arriving tomorrow at "9:00AM UTC".

The new hack, known as "HENKaku", will require the following:
  • A Vita/PSTV running 3.60
  • A memcard with at least 10MB of free space (internal memory is currently not supported!)
  • An FTP client
  • An internet connection**
**Offline support is now available! Launch the exploit straight from the email app without the need for internet access at all! See the unofficial release thread for more details. (Internet connection still required for installation)

This is a small paragraph of Yifan Lu himself explaining what the properties of this new homebrew enabler does:

HENkaku simply lets you install homebrew as bubbles in LiveArea. It is a native hack that disables the filesystem sandbox. It installs molecularShell, a fork of VitaShell that lets you access the memory card over FTP and install homebrew packages (which we create as VPK files). With vita-toolchain, developers have access to the same system features licensed developers have access to as well as undocumented features that licensed developers cannot use (including overclocking the processors).

The hack has been released at http://henkaku.me ~ Furthermore, the hack is said to be exclusive to 3.60, and there is to be no backports for the time being.

:arrow: Source: http://yifan.lu/2016/07/28/henkaku-vita-homebrew-for-everyone/

Last edited by , , Reason: Added info about offline installation.

CoreMessageInspector

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sweet, just what I was waiting for :D It seem's to work fine (except for somme bug in sound). Just Super Mario RPG and Shin Megami Tensei I have problems for the rom I tested
Yeah but just remember the HENkaku was released only 4 hours ago and we have working not optimized ports of emulators, DOOM :D and the Ps Tv Solution so it is a damn good start :hrth:
there is so much potential right now for vita
imagine Retroarch, Ps1, Psp, N64! and etc :D

Flirkyn

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah but just remember the HENkaku was released only 4 hours ago and we have working not optimized ports of emulators, DOOM :D and the Ps Tv Solution so it is a damn good start :hrth:
Ahah that was not a critic :) That's indeed a good start ^^

tom2199

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
We only have these homebrew games and apps because Rejuvenate was a thing before henkaku

4gionz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is great @yifan_lu is a damn genius I tell you, I thought he had given up on this sweet ass console but thankfully not.

Also @Voxel Studios i see everyone talking about the whitelist patch, but is that only useful for pstv owners? Or should I be finding a way to use it on my vita? I thought all it did was allow certain restricted psvita games for playing on pstv

D

Deleted User

OP
Also @Voxel Studios i see everyone talking about the whitelist patch, but is that only useful for pstv owners? Or should I be finding a way to use it on my vita? I thought all it did was allow certain restricted psvita games for playing on pstv
Yeah, it's not gonna be useful for the actual PS Vita because it supports every single Vita game anyway. :P

Reactions: 4gionz

CoreMessageInspector

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
We only have these homebrew games and apps because Rejuvenate was a thing before henkaku
i know but maybe there are devs now that can start developing or help others because they dont had a vita system with the lower software before and have updated to 3.57 or 3.60 :)
overall the vita is now breathing the homebrew smoke :P lol

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason, i keep getting a error code when trying this on my PSTV.... Is dumb cause i get error codes when trying to play some games as well, and i can't even play them anymore. I don't know how to fix it. :(

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So in terms of emulation and homebrew possibilities compared to 3DS, isn't the vita much better now?
The actual hardware destroys the New 3DS. But a consoles homebrew scene is only as good as its software, and the 3DS scene is the most active scene right now by a huge margin. Here's hoping the Vita scene takes off.

Installed this today, sacrificed my 3.18 for it (I can use my PSP for that stuff anyway). Much easier to use than Rejuvenate. The existing homebrew doesn't seem to perform any differently to my Rejuvenate setup in 333MHz mode, but early days yet.

Last edited by sj33,

Yokimari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great, didn't realize this, but when you run MolecularShell it will report it on PSN, so sign out of PSN before using it, especially when you have some money invested into PSN, bans could be issued.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?