Hacking Question yet another question about the best way to go..

AnagraM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi,
I have two switches.
One I use to play with the games I bought, and where I linked my nintendo account. It's up to date.

And one I bought for homebrew, cfw etc. It's still in 2.3.

I bought the sx os, and don't know what to do.

I hesitate between unlinking my nintendo account from my main switch, to keep it safe from banning and use a dummy account to use my sx os on that switch.

Or use the tutorial to update my second switch without burning fuses to be able to revert back to 2.3 for softmod once atmosphere comes out, but I fear it's a lot of troubles, with the problems of having the cart firmware updated, having etc.
Is it possible to use the sx os without updating ? if so, is the sx os cfw updatable without updating the ofw ?

What would you guys advise ?

Last edited by AnagraM,

ShinAbo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I know the exploit works on any firmware so you can install it on any version you want. But the prob is the some games might not work on lower fw .
sx os can be updated without updating ofw. Best thing is keep one switch for ofw and online play and the other for sx os.

AnagraM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

AnagraM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
sorry but i don't see any infos about the different payloads and how they change the firmwares..
i've been reading about what i could follow, but never thought it did that.
can you point me to the right direction ?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you follow that guide, its going to make you use Hekate instead of SX OS and briccmii instead of TX's AutoRCM. Just follow the guide, it has instructions for those who want to stick to using SX OS. Further questions should be placed in that thread but there's nothing confusing about it as long as you follow the guide down to every letter.

The3rdknuckles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you follow that guide, its going to make you use Hekate instead of SX OS and briccmii instead of TX's AutoRCM. Just follow the guide, it has instructions for those who want to stick to using SX OS. Further questions should be placed in that thread but there's nothing confusing about it as long as you follow the guide down to every letter.

Maybe you can explain to OP what a payload is.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I can use my 2.3 to load SX OS, update SX OS CFW and keep OFW at 2.3 ?

No. That's basically emuNAND which is not available yet. The only thing that 2.3 will give you over the latest FW (5.1.0) is the eventual ability to load custom FW without sending a payload via the RCM exploit. Sending a payload via RCM is so trivially easy that I can't be bothered with all the shit required to update without burning fuses. Also, as far as I'm aware, 1.0.0 is the only FW guaranteed to get coldboot (launching FW from a powered off state). Warmboot will likely involve navigating to a website using a custom DNS. To me it seems easier to simply connect a device to the Switch to push a payload when it is powered off -> CFW loads vs. turn on -> settings -> internet setting -> connect to network -> connection test -> execute exploit via website -> sleep and then wake the device -> CFW loads. It's nice to have options, but I always have a device capable of pushing a payload (my phone) and I only use portable mode in bed or on the crapper. If I'm missing something somebody feel free to correct me.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. That's basically emuNAND which is not available yet. The only thing that 2.3 will give you over the latest FW (5.1.0) is the eventual ability to load custom FW without sending a payload via the RCM exploit. Sending a payload via RCM is so trivially easy that I can't be bothered with all the shit required to update without burning fuses. Also, as far as I'm aware, 1.0.0 is the only FW guaranteed to get coldboot (launching FW from a powered off state). Warmboot will likely involve navigating to a website using a custom DNS. To me it seems easier to simply connect a device to the Switch to push a payload when it is powered off -> CFW loads vs. turn on -> settings -> internet setting -> connect to network -> connection test -> execute exploit via website -> sleep and then wake the device -> CFW loads. It's nice to have options, but I always have a device capable of pushing a payload (my phone) and I only use portable mode in bed or on the crapper. If I'm missing something somebody feel free to correct me.
After a good 5 minutes, I finally came up with something missing!

Homebrew compatibility is most likely better with the higher firmwares than the lower ones, like 2.3, especially because most homebrew were designed for 3.0 when PegaSwitch was the goat.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After a good 5 minutes, I finally came up with something missing!

Homebrew compatibility is most likely better with the higher firmwares than the lower ones, like 2.3, especially because most homebrew were designed for 3.0 when PegaSwitch was the goat.

Thanks. I haven't really kept up on homebrew. I've heard it's still sketchy with SX OS but as long as the useful utilities work I'm content.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-