Xiaomi 13 Ultra Professional Photography Kit Impressions

GBAtemp_Impressions_Xiaomi 13 Ultra Professional Photography Kit.png

After launching on the Chinese market, Xiaomi recently released its flagship smartphone, the Xiaomi 13 Ultra, to the international audience. When I reviewed the phone, I said that it “feels more like a camera that doubles as a phone than the other way round” with its professional-grade camera lens. Xiaomi doubled down on this aspect as it has a special photography kit dedicated to the Xiaomi 13 Ultra.

We’ll take a look at this Xiaomi 13 Ultra Professional Photography Kit in this impressions piece. However, this add-on is not available on the official global Xiaomi website at the time of writing but can be found via third-parties at around $200 and comes with the following items:

contents.jpg

When the Xiaomi 13 Ultra first launched, I was immediately drawn to the green leatherette variant; and having it featured on the photo kit was a pleasant surprise. The kit comes with a special phone case of that colour and a separate handgrip that mounts on the case. There’s also a lens protector that I wish was included in the core package of the phone as the lens is quite scratch-prone. Also included is a support for 67mm filter rings so that you can further tune your shots to your liking.

rings.jpg

front.jpg back.jpg

It’s very easy to set these accessories on the phone itself and you can remove the handgrip whenever you want if you prefer the phone with a more sleek profile. Once attached, the module stays on firmly through a latch system between the grip and the dedicated phone case. There is no wobble to be seen and the whole setup looks and feels like a single unit.

To use the grip, you’ll have to pair it to the phone via Bluetooth. It is compatible with the Xiaomi camera app, enabling you to focus, take shots and zoom with its dedicated shutter and zoom physical buttons. They are very responsive and deliver a satisfying feeling to use as these keys really add a welcome layer of physicality to the photography-taking experience.

buttons.jpg

Personally, I am terribly fond of the modular aspect and the look of the phone with the handgrip attached. It gives the Xiaomi 13 Ultra a singular look. While it does create an extra bump in the pocket (or might not fit at all if you have small pockets) and can be divisive, I’m personally a fan of more unique-looking phones; and the photo kit-equipped Xiaomi 13 Ultra does look unique.

However, the downside of keeping the handgrip on all the time is that it blocks the lower speakers, microphone as well as the USB-C port on the phone. I wish at least that the handgrip featured openings for these outlets, or at least share the USB-C connection.

To charge the handgrip module, you’ll have to plug it in to a charger with its own USB-C port. Your mileage will vary but you can save on the battery by only switching it on when in use. However, I could easily manage to get a few weeks' use of it while travelling and occasionally switching it on to take pictures.

under.jpg

While the kit is not cheap (it can cost as much as some phones), it is definitely a unique addition to the Xiaomi 13 Ultra. As a fan of modularity in phones, seeing a dedicated camera mod on a flagship phone is an encouraging sign as this is a rarity on the market. I’d definitely recommend it if you want to give your Xiaomi 13 Ultra a unique look with added function and/or want to take your phone photography to the next level.

phone on.jpg

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a professional photographer, I want to say this is cool simply for the 67mm adapter but $200 is way too overpriced. It should come with a filter for that price. The Moment case that I use with my iPhone is only $30 and supports their mobile photography lenses and also sells a 67mm adapter.

The grip is more of an add-on as it doesn't really add much.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only the factory camera app ever has full control of the hardware. And iirc Xiaomi is infamous for putting their branding on pictures taken with their stock app, if not outright ads.
I believe they have it on as standard, but it can be turned off with a toggle in the settings. The same was true on RedMagic phones. I guess these companies are just trying their luck for free advertising from people who don't know or don't care to turn it off.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe they have it on as standard, but it can be turned off with a toggle in the settings. The same was true on RedMagic phones. I guess these companies are just trying their luck for free advertising from people who don't know or don't care to turn it off.
And just like with Google, how long until you cannot opt out of such branding?

Given the choices the market has reduced things to regarding phones, I'd rather not have to deal with that headache at all.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
And just like with Google, how long until you cannot opt out of such branding?

Given the choices the market has reduced things to regarding phones, I'd rather not have to deal with that headache at all.
Crop the pictures.

DKAngel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Only the factory camera app ever has full control of the hardware. And iirc Xiaomi is infamous for putting their branding on pictures taken with their stock app, if not outright ads.
the watermarks can be removed lol, ive had xiaomi phones now since the note 5 and the software and hardware is decent

Reactions: GoldenBullet

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Which you can't do on the phone.

Hell, phone browsers won't even let me edit to do vxtwitter on Twitter links, for crying out loud.

Sure makes it more conspicuous that nobody's allowed to root anything unless xda can be arsed to get off its collective ass to make it happen.
My man, you can. There's an edit button in your gallery app, I am mostly secure.
Like, it has to be.

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I reviewed the Xiaomi 13 and the default camera app is actually well equipped. Photos can be quickly snapped but also has a wide range of options if you choose to use them. Face smoothing and the watermark is on by default but can be disabled.

Edit: Yes you can also crop photos on the Xiaomi 13 default gallery app :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone