Xbox360 - Stream media from PC without connecting to Live?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Moose13, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Moose13
    OP

Member Moose13 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    With all the ban going on right now, I don't want to connect to live. I only connected to live a few times and I honestly have no use for it.
    I have not connected for months (been unplugged), and have not updated to the new dashboard.

Can I connect to my PC, to stream videos, music, etc and NOT connect to LIVE?

I'm using a wireless bridge to connect to the PC, where the PC is always connected to the 'net.

2. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Yes, you can stream media without connecting to live. I do it all the time with Tversity.

3. Moose13
    OP

United States
    OK, but how? As soon as I hook up my bridge, it tries to connect.

4. triassic911

United States
    Wait, is this your first time trying to stream media? Or have you done so before?

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I sense you missed the jist of it triassic911, I gather the OP wants to allow access to the 360 on local lan but disallow external (internet) access to the 360.

Can you not axe the bridge and use normal connections to disable connection sharing? (the bridge as opposed to regular sharing essentially delegates all network access to your router using your PC as little more than a powered repeater).
    That is by far the easiest way.

Option 2 firewall/hosts/ports:
    Not sure what they all are, my router says xbox live is UDP on ports 88 - 88 and "Any" on 3074 - 3074
    I suspect MS is probably a bit more sneaky than that though and while live itself will not work I doubt you will be insulated entirely from it.

You might even have the option to do it at a router level- disallow external network access to a given IP or device and if not there you have a chance at your PC's firewall and/or your host file.

Some links:
    http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html (it suggests buying another router instead call up some friends/work associates and see if they have an old ISP locked thing for while they may not work on other ISPs without some fiddling they should still work behind a working router)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...28WS.10%29.aspx

This is nothing drastic as far as computing goes but it is not so commonly done in the home so most home user level kit is not built for it. Not to say you can not do it but it will require you to have some knowledge of how networks and IP addresses work.

6. triassic911

United States
    Oh, I'm understanding now. I forgot I made it so that when I turn on my 360, it doesn't automatically connect to my account. You can too in system settings.

7. Moose13
    OP

United States
    Thanks FAST, I'll check it out sometime over the weekend.

I need teh bridge since it's a few floors away and I don't have the ability to run structured cabling. Also I do not have the 360 network adapter.

I'll check out the other steps though.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    It is known that even without an account some data is still sent.

9. Moose13
    OP

United States
    Yes, that's why I think I may have to block ports on the firewall if possible. I don't want to lose the HD game install access.

10. cardyology

Member cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Sorry to pull up an old thread guys, but it seemed the most relevant.

I have aquired a new 360 arcade from a friend, it currenty HAS NOT been updated to the 8xxx kernal.

I am going to be trying the xell/jtag hack with it at some point but not just yet, for now i just wanna use it as a media center box in my bedroom.

Is it possible to get the media updates to enable DivX playback without updating the xbox over live to the latest dash/kernal?

Im assuming there is a way but dont know how to do it!

*edit* this 360 has not been on live for ages, if ever. it dosnt have the DVD drive flashed so it wont get banned, i jsut dont wanna plug into live & have it update thus disabling my hombrew options.

11. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Media update for divx playback has to come from live, can't get it any other way.

12. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Is that enough for a ban or not proven?

13. Blue Zoidberg

Member Blue Zoidberg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's been my, unfortunate, experience to learn that you still get the DivX error even if you have downloaded it before and cannot access Live. I dusted off the xbox remote and streamed some MST3K and got the 'media error' which kindly tells me to get on Live and download the smegging 'update' again.

14. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I have had something similar but it doesn't always happen, maybe it is down to mp4 rather than divx or maybe it needed the ac3 audio codec instead?

15. cardyology

Member cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the confirmation guys.

I could connect to live & get the media update, the console isnt banned or flashed or anything, but its pre NXE, still has the old school "blades" menu & i wanna give the homebrew stuff a try!

Hmmmm.....