Xbox One Specs Boosted by "The Equivalent of 3 Xbox Ones" in the Cloud

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't you understand that this is utter BS!? If you just for example think about the RAM you will se that this is impossible. The RAM speed in the Xbox one is atleast 102 GB/s. That means you need to have a 102 GB/s internet connection. Now I'm not sure what kind of speeds you can get with fiber in the US (100 Mbits/s is 12,5 MB/s or 0,025 GB/s. 102 GB/s is 4080 times faster (!) than 100 Mbits/s). So you would need a lot faster internet speed for this to work. And this is just talking about the RAM.

But sure. Some calculations would be possible to do in the cloud such as more players in a multiplayer game, drop tables for loot (Diablo 3), AI and etc...

I'm sorry bro, but that's not how the cloud works. The only need for communication is for video and controller feedback.

You are not going to use the internet to communicate with RAM EVER. Nobody does it. There is no need to do it. It simply doesn't work that way.

Source: M.S. in Computer Science. Admin on a University VPN running 5 clusters around the USA. Worked with VMWare ESXi and the Xen Hypervisor.

Since everything virtualized this is going to be the last console ever created. It's abstracted so they can upgrade the system without users buying additional hardware. Guess what? THIS ALSO SAVES THEM MONEY BECAUSE IT FOLLOWS AND ECONOMY OF SCALE.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Since everything virtualized this is going to be the last console ever created.
That's just B.S. Even if you only mean by Microsoft, it's not a good investment. They want people to buy new hardware to replace their old hardware. That's how you make money.

Reactions: KingVamp

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's just B.S. Even if you only mean by Microsoft, it's not a good investment. They want people to buy new hardware to replace their old hardware. That's how you make money.

That and some people can't or don't want to be fully on the cloud all the time just to play their games. People will still buy hardware, so they wouldn't be completely reliant on the cloud.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
That and some people can't or don't want to be fully on the cloud all the time just to play their games. People will still buy hardware, so they wouldn't be completely reliant on the cloud.
I think maybe Relys is just a hyper-fanboy.

Now, if things don't pick up for M$ after their presentation, I can imagine it will be their last console. Just not for the same reason. ;)

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Sounds pretty interesting to enhanced your game by the cloud, but it stops there when you have to use it. If they built 3g/4g in the Xbox1, you can pay for that when you pay for Live.

edit: You wouldn't just have your home wifi to rely on.

I don't think that with 3G this will work. Not even with 4G. I mean too slow and 3G is not even enough for the PS Vita. It will need LTE which is not available worldwide and that's why Wi-Fi is what will be used.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't think that with 3G this will work. Not even with 4G. I mean too slow and 3G is not even enough for the PS Vita.
...it's not? I have a 3G PSVita and I'm not complaining. The only reason why Sony disabled Multiplayer and capped downloads to 20MB when using 3G is to prevent file corruption in the event of disconnecting and preventing servers from lagging if the 3G users are low on reception because the technology hasn't been fully introduced worldwide yet.

Moreover, some games (Ecolibrium, Hustle Knights) which do not require "a lot" of data to be transferred work perfectly fine over 3G.

While the original 3G was a bit too slow for full-on game enhancement (384kbps in basic 3G) the latest implementations, meaning what we call 3.5G and 3.75G, already offer transfer rates of even 56mbps, for example using HSDPA+. 4G transfer rates range between 2 to even 100mbps, which is more than sufficient.
It will need LTE which is not available worldwide and that's why Wi-Fi is what will be used.
LTE is a 4G-candidate technology.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm sorry bro, but that's not how the cloud works. The only need for communication is for video and controller feedback.

You are not going to use the internet to communicate with RAM EVER. Nobody does it. There is no need to do it. It simply doesn't work that way.

Source: M.S. in Computer Science. Admin on a University VPN running 5 clusters around the USA. Worked with VMWare ESXi and the Xen Hypervisor.

Since everything virtualized this is going to be the last console ever created. It's abstracted so they can upgrade the system without users buying additional hardware. Guess what? THIS ALSO SAVES THEM MONEY BECAUSE IT FOLLOWS AND ECONOMY OF SCALE.

Video and controller lag are incredibly important in gaming. It's difficuly enough for servers to update clients with player positions and hit detection without noticable lag. What other assets could cloud computing offer without latency being a problem?
"Infinite" computation may be possible in the cloud, but it's useless if those computations don't materialize themselves on your screen without lag. Internet latencies (bandwidth is another story) are too slow for most people.

All I can think are level assets (benefits storage) and perhaps some AI computation and enviromental physics (benefits CPU), as long as the results of those computations aren't needed without noticable lag (pretty rare if you ask me).

As for GPU performance (where XB1 is behind PS4), the cloud offers nothing. Latencies are many order of magnitude to slow to benefit the GPU.

Gamers complain if their television introduces a small amount of input lag. If you think graphics processing could be done on the cloud and streamed to clients as encoded video, the bandwidth *may* be there, but latency is far too great.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Games that takes advantage of cloud computational power will inevitably become useless once they decide to shutdown the service in the future, for people who likes to keep their games this is terrible news. For that reason and possibly additional server costs I don't see developers using this at all unless MS pushes them to do it.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games that takes advantage of cloud computational power will inevitably become useless once they decide to shutdown the service in the future, for people who likes to keep their games this is terrible news.
If it's only use to enhance the game, not replace it. You will only lose the enhancements.

possibly additional server costs

Isn't Live paying for that cost?

Reactions: Eerpow

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
If it's only use to enhance the game, not replace it. You will only lose the enhancements.
Isn't Live paying for that cost?
Ahh, as long as it's not forced I don't care, I'm not one to drool over textures so if everything runs alright without it then good. Should have read a little more, my bad.
Cloud processing sounds more expensive though.

ggyo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, after reading up on RAM, I was right. It's why you see DDR3 generally in all high-range PCs and laptops, while DDR5 is coupled with tthe GPU for GDDR5.

DDR3 is more efficient in multitasking and has quicker loads due to lower latency, while DDR5 is only advantageous when loading large files like textures and such.

It makes sense that, with the 3 XBoxOne OSs that Microsoft would choose DDR3 for mutitasking purposes, especially since the price differentiation is minimal and varied.

Don't you understand that this is utter BS!? If you just for example think about the RAM you will se that this is impossible. The RAM speed in the Xbox one is atleast 102 GB/s. That means you need to have a 102 GB/s internet connection. Now I'm not sure what kind of speeds you can get with fiber in the US (100 Mbits/s is 12,5 MB/s or 0,025 GB/s. 102 GB/s is 4080 times faster (!) than 100 Mbits/s). So you would need a lot faster internet speed for this to work. And this is just talking about the RAM.

But sure. Some calculations would be possible to do in the cloud such as more players in a multiplayer game, drop tables for loot (Diablo 3), AI and etc...
But Cloud gaming is technically already done through OnLive with phones that have 1GB of DDR2 RAM, less wireless fidelity, less servers than Microsoft... basically worse everything, and it's all playable even on mid-range devices.

I don't think the RAM-to-internet-speed correlation you're assuming is anywhere in the right ballpark.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh, as long as it's not forced I don't care, I'm not one to drool over textures so if everything runs alright without it then good. Should have read a little more, my bad.Cloud processing sounds more expensive though.

Well, I'm pretty sure some devs will make cloud only games, especialy as we get into the console life span.

It's that or a box with 4x the power, size and price of the Xbox 1. :lol:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: