Xbox One S. Disable / remove Wi-Fi & RF board

Discussion in 'Xbox One - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by foob, Jun 30, 2017.

1. foob
    OP

foob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Is it possible to remove both the wi-fi module and the RF module from the Xbox One S and still have it work with only wired controllers?

I want to be able to:

* turn power on and off
    * insert & eject discs
    * play games normally (of course)
    ...using only wired controllers.

I want:
    * zero wireless emissions, with no possibility of them being enabled (ever)
    * no option to use any wireless peripheral for the life of the console (including the bundled wireless controller)

I have removed the wi-fi and RF modules from the Xbox 360 E already. The console doesn't complain. A wired controller takes care of powering it on and off, ejecting discs, etc. Is a similar thing possible with the Xbox One S? (I have yet to buy one)

2. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    The switching power supply generates wireless emisions.
    So does the crystals inside.
    And specially the CPU/GPU that switches at high power.

PS: I mean, for any computer, Wi Fi or not, all these devices generates RF just because due to being powered on, the CPU/GPU genereates RF in the range of microwaves, etc.

Last edited by sarkwalvein, Jun 30, 2017
  3. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    Out of curiousity, why so against wifi

4. foob
    OP

foob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    sarkwalvein, my main concern is wi-fi / bluetooth
    yusuo, health reasons (but I really don't want the discussion to get into this...I have made up my mind based on all the evidence I have researched)

5. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I mean, Wi-Fi can really be very harmful for a group of people, that I fortunately don't belong to.
    But the range of RF generated by the CPU/GPU resides in a zone similar to Wi-Fi, and can be harmful as well, that is what I was trying to convey.

PS: Anyway, I don't know if it is possible to keep the XB1 working without the modules, so I can give any useful data in this regard.

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Radio waves exist in nature, there's really no way you can avoid them. Anyway, yes radio waves can be harmful to people, but the risks are vastly exaggerated. Wifi/RF is very low power, it simply doesn't have enough power to hurt humans.

7. foob
    OP

foob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Many scientists disagree (I can bore you to tears with links but I'd rather not). There is enough info out there to act.

Lots of money is involved in wireless tech today so for every "damage" article, there is at least another one that says it's safe. I'm not really here to debate my choices (they won't change, and I have spent way too long looking into this), but rather I simply want to know how the Xbox One S behaves when the 2 modules are removed.