xbox hdd bad, needs service on loading game. hotswap??

Calaco2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
HI fam, I got a xbox that calls for service when loading game. It boots to the M$ dashboard and was able to copy the splintercell exploits to the drive. But when I load splintercell or any other game it loads back to the dashboard and pops up with the service console message. I've tried swapping the dvd drive and get the same results. Im wondering if I can hotswapp to another xbox hdd that's unlocked, just long enough to create and backup the eeprom and hdd keys?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Three main approaches, though two are variations on the same theme

You can't just stick an unlocked drive on there, it has to be the keys it has burned into the EEPROM. I think DVD drives might also be coded to it (recall reading something there when it was being compared to 360 mods where that was a thing)

However if you hardmod (any version but buying a mod chip which is easier said than done these days) or TSOP mod (easier to do with basic components but only works on 1.5 revision or older, the 1.6 family not having the option) it then you can put whatever drive you like in (pretty much any IDE/PATA drive here vs https://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list for softmods). This is as they launch their payload early on where softmods take a second or two and come from the hard drive.

If you don't want to do that then you can do the hotswap method to install whatever you like on there (full custom dash + exploits to run it being what most would go for) and at that point you can boot back up to grab EEPROM and other keys and then go in for hard drive upgrade if you want to go that way. This however requires opening up the xbox and playing with cables vs just clicking a few times for softmods.

Do check it is not dust on the laser or something as well.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Calaco2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Three main approaches, though two are variations on the same theme

You can't just stick an unlocked drive on there, it has to be the keys it has burned into the EEPROM. I think DVD drives might also be coded to it (recall reading something there when it was being compared to 360 mods where that was a thing)

However if you hardmod (any version but buying a mod chip which is easier said than done these days) or TSOP mod (easier to do with basic components but only works on 1.5 revision or older, the 1.6 family not having the option) it then you can put whatever drive you like in (pretty much any IDE/PATA drive here vs https://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list for softmods). This is as they launch their payload early on where softmods take a second or two and come from the hard drive.

If you don't want to do that then you can do the hotswap method to install whatever you like on there (full custom dash + exploits to run it being what most would go for) and at that point you can boot back up to grab EEPROM and other keys and then go in for hard drive upgrade if you want to go that way. This however requires opening up the xbox and playing with cables vs just clicking a few times for softmods.

Do check it is not dust on the laser or something as well.

The console is stock, and with the og xbox the dvd drive is not keyed(360 does that) and I've tried with 2 other xbox dvd drives and get the same issue. My idea behind it is, if I boot up the console and play a song with the built in media player and trigger the hdd to unlock while still at m$ dash then hotswap it to another xbox drive that is unlocked inwhich also has the save exploit and xbox filesystem, then boot splintercell to get into the ux exploit menu then backup eeprom and hdd key and ftp the files off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo