Last edited by simbin,
Reactions: zfreeman

Daoxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been looking into this myself. The problem is those OE fans can move a TON of air when running at full speed. Of course they also get really loud. But, if your system is dusty and or the thermal paste on the chips is bad you need that airflow.

Repasting seems to be a very good option and quiets down the system quite a bit. With a cleaned and repasted system the OE fans ran at their a minimum speed the entire time I was playing fallout new vegas. They didn't ramp up for anything.

This means you could certainly replace the fans with something quieter. 80mm fans will not fit into the case though. The OE fan is right around 70mm. I've tried a few things and fit an 80mm in the case (it had to be mounted horizontally and needed new ducting), but there is no room for a second one. Still working on and looking into more options. I think a centrifugal fan may be more ideal for the GPU heatsink as they can generate more pressure. But, I'll have to do more testing to see what it actually needs.

Last edited by Daoxer,

Glyiori

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Unfortunately, in my case, replacing the thermal paste did not make my Jasper quiet. So I decided to replace the stock fans with 2x Noctua NF-A6x25.

Without major modifications you can fit 2x60mm fans. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of the soldered connectors for the new fans :( I created an adapter project for the original air duct. Link to gdrive, you will find there STL file and pictures of the console assembly :)
drive. google. com /drive/folders/1RpBuyc9PEY43uI2EKHcXp-vBSDXHheDY?usp=sharing
Assembly of the console should start mounting the fan on the rubber mounts, then mount the printed frame. Finally, insert the motherboard.

With this modification, my Xbox is extremely quiet. Jasper consumes only 150W due to which it does not produce much heat. After several hours of gaming, the fans are barely audible from a distance of 1m.

The only problem after the modification turned out to be a noisy fan in the power supply, which I also had to replace xD
Now I can finally play without annoying xbox noise :)

Last edited by Glyiori,

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, in my case, replacing the thermal paste did not make my Jasper quiet. So I decided to replace the stock fans with 2x Noctua NF-A6x25.

Without major modifications you can fit 2x60mm fans. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of the soldered connectors for the new fans :( I created an adapter project for the original air duct, if anyone wants the STL file, write priv, unfortunately I can't share the URL to drive. Assembly of the console should start mounting the fan on the rubber mounts, then mount the printed frame. Finally, insert the motherboard.

With this modification, my Xbox is extremely quiet. Jasper consumes only 150W due to which it does not produce much heat. After several hours of gaming, the fans are barely audible from a distance of 1m.

The only problem after the modification turned out to be a noisy fan in the power supply, which I also had to replace xD

Damn that is impressive. Nice work! I have 3D printer, and several modded X360's, but I have never thought about doing this. Now on my To do list! :grog:

Glyiori

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Damn that is impressive. Nice work! I have 3D printer, and several modded X360's, but I have never thought about doing this. Now on my To do list! :grog:
Thank you for the kind response :) Definitely worth a try, because in my opinion this "Proof of concept" works great.
In the first version I sealed the air duct using aluminum foil tape, but the 3d printed frame looks much better :D

Reactions: BigOnYa

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the kind response :) Definitely worth a try, because in my opinion this "Proof of concept" works great.
In the first version I sealed the air duct using aluminum foil tape, but the 3d printed frame looks much better :D
I was thinking of trying to use bolts/w washers through the back of case, to mount the fans, and use nuts/w washers on the inside, instead of the rubber mounts. Gonna go ahead and put on new paste also though, while I wait for 3d printer to print pieces.
Thanks for the inspiration and the .stl files. Cheers :grog:

Last edited by BigOnYa,
Reactions: HawaiianInTown

Aidzer0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Without major modifications you can fit 2x60mm fans. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of the soldered connectors for the new fans :( I created an adapter project for the original air duct. Link to gdrive, you will find there STL file and pictures of the console assembly :)
drive. google. com /drive/folders/1RpBuyc9PEY43uI2EKHcXp-vBSDXHheDY?usp=sharing
Assembly of the console should start mounting the fan on the rubber mounts, then mount the printed frame. Finally, insert the motherboard.

Hello, Great mod! Looking into doing this for my Jasper v2 (looks like you have one of the Jaspers too) as the Nidec fans are scarce and this seems like the better option than putting a 15+ year old used fan in haha.

I had a few questions regarding the wiring and more details before I start.

Correct me if I am wrong but the stock fans just have positive and negative terminals, so then the mainboard controls the fans voltage to adjust fan speed right? also what is the shared pin? Positive or negative?

Do the noctuas that you installed work at 100% all the time?
What was the wiring for it?
Brown = positive fan1
Blue = negative for fan1
Red = positive for fan2
Fan2 I assume uses same negative of fan 1?

There are 3 different variants of NF-A6x25, from your pictures, it looks like you got the FLX which is the 12v 3 pin fans right?

Then the stock fans produce 29 CFM (together) where as the FLX noctua fan produces 17.2 CFM per fan at mac RPM. Which would be a significant upgrade if the stock fans are at full speed constantly. But I think this it going a bit deep. Basically I am just wondering how the heat is while you are gaming with this setup? My average is about 44 - 50C with the stock fans.

Thank you! and thank you for providing the shroud model!!!

evanft

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I looked up some specs.

Here's the specs of a fan similar to the one in the Xbox.
Here's the NF-A6x25-FLX

Each Xbox fan has a spec of 1.037 m³/min, which is 62.22 m³/h, while the Noctuas can do 29.2 m³/h. So the stock fans have about double the airflow than the Noctuas. The stock fans also have higher static pressure, which is going to help them force air through the grill in front of them.

I think if you really wanted to swap those fans out for something better, the best way may to cut up the rear of the case and create an adapter that would allow you to use two 80 or 90 mm fans. There aren't a lot of good 60 or 70 mm fans out there, unfortunately.

Alternatively, you could just get an 360 slim, which should be dramatically quieter.

Last edited by evanft,

Aidzer0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, Great mod! Looking into doing this for my Jasper v2 (looks like you have one of the Jaspers too) as the Nidec fans are scarce and this seems like the better option than putting a 15+ year old used fan in haha.

I had a few questions regarding the wiring and more details before I start.

Correct me if I am wrong but the stock fans just have positive and negative terminals, so then the mainboard controls the fans voltage to adjust fan speed right? also what is the shared pin? Positive or negative?

Do the noctuas that you installed work at 100% all the time?
What was the wiring for it?
Brown = positive fan1
Blue = negative for fan1
Red = positive for fan2
Fan2 I assume uses same negative of fan 1?

There are 3 different variants of NF-A6x25, from your pictures, it looks like you got the FLX which is the 12v 3 pin fans right?

Then the stock fans produce 29 CFM (together) where as the FLX noctua fan produces 17.2 CFM per fan at mac RPM. Which would be a significant upgrade if the stock fans are at full speed constantly. But I think this it going a bit deep. Basically I am just wondering how the heat is while you are gaming with this setup? My average is about 44 - 50C with the stock fans.

Thank you! and thank you for providing the shroud model!!!
This is what I saw too. I decided to just go ahead and try the noctuas, they are at 100% the whole time, and basically produce the same as the old ones and the temps are 5- 8C hotter with the noctuas, much to my disappointment.

They just do not have the pressure to keep up. To equate it a little bit, the stock ones at 50% do the same as the noctuas at 100%. The noctuas are slightly quieter than the stock ones but I feel the lost cooling capacity is not worth the quieter operation. (To each their own right?)

Anyways, thanks for the info!

Its a shame that this did not work out for me, I was looking forward to it, I do have the copper heat sinks on the way which I am hoping will improve cooling capacity too.

As for the slim, I have nostalgic ties to the Jasper, so I cannot give it up haha!

To answer my question if anyone wants to go with this mod:
Brown = positive fan2
Blue = negative fan2
Red = positive fan1
Black = negative fan1

And the Jasper has a mosfet that has variable voltage to regulate the fan speed, max is 12v

The average temps on idle with the noctuas @100%:
CPU: 49.4C
GPU: 66.9C
Mobo: 65.5C
Chassis: 33.3C

Stock fan idle temps at 40%:
CPU: 48.2C
GPU: 61.3C
Mobo: 60.7
Chassis: 28.1C

This shows that the noctuas cool the CPU & GPU (which has much less air restriction) but the rest of the temps like chassis/mobo suffer due to not having enough airflow. Both of there were done with the console completely closed, also, I let the console heatsoak for an hour before capturing the temps.

I hope this helps someone! It was a fun project.

Aidzer0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wonder if removing the grills entirely would help the airflow. Maybe swap it out with some mesh.
Are you talking about the steel cage grill on the back? - if so, I would not want to modify it that much, and I would see that the plastic grill would have to be cut out too.

If you are talking about the left and right plastic snap-in grills (When the console is horizontal), I have tested both fan solutions with and without, there was 0.3 - 0.7C difference. So they do not restrict that much. (The test was done without the left and right grills and the bottom shell too, the HDD was present though).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol