PS1/2 PS2 fat quiet fan mod w/ noctua fan

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I've received and installed mine today, here are a few pointers.

- First, the fan on speed 1 (menu) is silent. As in entirely silent. Stopped it a few times with my finger during install - sound profile dindnt change.
- On my first Install I installed the fan 'in a way', that the entire console was almost silent, while playing Tekken 4 (WD Red drive in the console), but I forgot to install a screw - so I opened the PS2 up again, installed the screw and suddenly got a very low frequency base droning noise - that drove me mad in terms of sound profile.
- I then disassembled and reassambled the console four times, until I got rid of it again. (From a distance mind you, close up you'll still hear some of it, but its far less amplified.) Here is what worked in the end. Give the Noctua fan cable a slight bend (dont press too hard, just give it some shape) on the far end (as in not next to the fan), so you can place it under the power socket cables, while the cable itself lays against the upper inside of the fans bezel. The fan can still spin freely, and you might get less air turbulance as a result -- if your cables are positioned about the same as in the TheGameTinkerer Video posted above.
- While fastening the consoles main body screws (console lying flat on the floor screwholes showing up, with almost no additional pressure on the consoles shell while screwing the screws back in), start with the outside long ones, and probably against your first inclination, fasten the ones on the opposite side of the fan first, also dont fasten them too much, but only to about the pressure you are able to fasten them with two fingers on the screwdriver (this goes for all case screws). Then repeat for the screw closest to the fan, then again, long screw on the opposite side of the fan, long screw close to the fan, short screw opposite of the fans side, short... and so on and so forth.

This eliminated the low frequency droning noise entirely - judging from my seating position.
--

Three more pointers.

- If you are suddenly holding a black plastic thingy in your hand, after reattaching the PSU, this video shows you how to place it to get it into its former position again:

- If you are careful, you can do the entire mod without unplugging any ribbon cables. But then again, be careful. :)

- I had my PS2 modded with an alternative fan from Aliexpress before, which still was somewhat loud, but almost silent at speed 1 (sitting in menu), this solution (in combination with the noctua fan) is much, much more silent. So if you value a low noise level, while playing games - go with this mod - you probably wont have any buyers remorse.

Also the 3D print is pretty clean, for a 3D printed structure. So thumbs up, and thank you for providing this solution for people who are interested. :)

edit: Oh, and air pressure is significantly lower than the fans I used before, but the diameter is larger, and -- I didnt have any overheating problems on a pretty hot day, while testing today. (For several hours.)

edit2: Oh, and maybe buy two PS2 controller extension cables. I got two of them during a chinese sales event for 8 USD shipped on aliexpress, and probably will use them daily from now on. Just to remind you, that those things exist. :)

Last edited by notimp,

Woxinum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've received and installed mine today, here are a few pointers.

- First, the fan on speed 1 (menu) is silent. As in entirely silent. Stopped it a few times with my finger during install - sound profile dindnt change.
- On my first Install I installed the fan 'in a way', that the entire console was almost silent, while playing Tekken 4 (WD Red drive in the console), but I forgot to install a screw - so I opened the PS2 up again, installed the screw and suddenly got a very low frequency base droning noise - that drove me mad in terms of sound profile.
- I then disassembled and reassambled the console four times, until I got rid of it again. (From a distance mind you, close up you'll still hear some of it, but its far less amplified.) Here is what worked in the end. Give the Noctua fan cable a slight bend (dont press too hard, just give it some shape) on the far end (as in not next to the fan), so you can place it under the power socket cables, while the cable itself lays against the upper inside of the fans bezel. The fan can still spin freely, and you might get less air turbulance as a result -- if your cables are positioned about the same as in the TheGameTinkerer Video posted above.
- While fastening the consoles main body screws (console lying flat on the floor screwholes showing up, with almost no additional pressure on the consoles shell while screwing the screws back in), start with the outside long ones, and probably against your first inclination, fasten the ones on the opposite side of the fan first, also dont fasten them too much, but only to about the pressure you are able to fasten them with two fingers on the screwdriver (this goes for all case screws). Then repeat for the screw closest to the fan, then again, long screw on the opposite side of the fan, long screw close to the fan, short screw opposite of the fans side, short... and so on and so forth.

This eliminated the low frequency droning noise entirely - judging from my seating position.
--

Three more pointers.

- If you are suddenly holding a black plastic thingy in your hand, after reattaching the PSU, this video shows you how to place it to get it into its former position again:

- If you are careful, you can do the entire mod without unplugging any ribbon cables. But then again, be careful. :)

- I had my PS2 modded with an alternative fan from Aliexpress before, which still was somewhat loud, but almost silent at speed 1 (sitting in menu), this solution (in combination with the noctua fan) is much, much more silent. So if you value a low noise level, while playing games - go with this mod - you probably wont have any buyers remorse.

Also the 3D print is pretty clean, for a 3D printed structure. So thumbs up, and thank you for providing this solution for people who are interested. :)

edit: Oh, and air pressure is significantly lower than the fans I used before, but the diameter is larger, and -- I didnt have any overheating problems on a pretty hot day, while testing today. (For several hours.)

edit2: Oh, and maybe buy two PS2 controller extension cables. I got two of them during a chinese sales event for 8 USD shipped on aliexpress, and probably will use them daily from now on. Just to remind you, that those things exist. :)

Thanks for your feedback and all the tips ! You mentioned Speed 1 is silent a few times but what about speed 2 when OPL is loading HDD/ playing games ? Does the fan spin a lot faster ? Also on which PS2 version (SCPH-XXXX) did you install this mod ?

Last edited by Woxinum,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Thanks for your feedback and all the tips ! You mentioned Speed 1 is silent a few times but what about speed 2 when OPL is loading HDD/ playing games ? Does the fan spin a lot faster ? Also on which PS2 version (SCPH-XXXX) did you install this mod ?
Speed 2 is not silent. ;) But effectively as close to silent as I care. I have a Noctua 80mm fans based Dan A4 next to it, undervolted, and on custom fan curves, to get it to be silent during gaming (maybe ramps up once every 10 minutes or so, in some games (depending on how many cores are taxed more cores, lower clock, less windup)), the PS2 on the noctua is a litte bit louder, but not so much that anyone would care. And the fan noise also isnt annoying (after I got rid of the low frequency humming (at seating distance)). Also the PS2 isnt silent once turned on, there is low frequency humming, thats probably some sort of coil whine. But almost non audible from a distance. Also HDD access noise is louder than the fan noise on speed 2(?). So yeah. effectively as close to silent as anyone probably would care. I'm not disappointed. :)

And I modded a PAL SCPH-35004

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Daoxer and Woxinum

iVirtualPlays

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
After doing some further research into comparing the Noctua to the original Nidec fan. The original fan has an airflow rating of 20CFM and it's a 7v fan. The A6 has an airflow rating of 29.2cfm. A big improvement in airflow over the original. The downside is that it's a 12v fan don't know if the fan connector provides enough voltage to the Noctua and upon testing, it seems as though it doesn't push out as much air. Correct me if I'm wrong and i would like to know, how this performs. What difference does it make in the temps? And can the fan speed be increased? Feel free to check out my now edited guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ultimat...nidec-fans-mx4-thermal-right-pico-psu.588981/

Last edited by iVirtualPlays,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
After doing some further research into comparing the Noctua to the original Nidec fan. The original fan has an airflow rating of 20CFM and it's a 7v fan. The A6 has an airflow rating of 29.2cfm. A big improvement in airflow over the original. The downside is that it's a 12v fan don't know if the fan connector provides enough voltage to the Noctua and upon testing, it seems as though it doesn't push out as much air. Correct me if I'm wrong and i would like to know, how this performs. What difference does it make in the temps? And can the fan speed be increased? Feel free to check out my now edited guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ultimat...nidec-fans-mx4-thermal-right-pico-psu.588981/
Temps could be checked with:
https://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps2temps.27864/

PS2 never turns off due to overheating (it has a security shutdown feature built in) not even in summer at high ambient temps (for central europe), so that was enough testing for me.. :)

PS2 airflow design was never designed to be efficient anyhow - (pull configuration miles away from something that might look like an air funnel) and thermal pads that are more pads than thermal) so there probably is some leeway for a fan not performing "as well" as the stock fan under full load.

And whats the downside again? Loosing a PS2 in five years due to higher operating temperaturs, but also cutting noise by 90%? Ehm yeah.

I'll probably do some testing with the temp .elf - but without putting the old fan back in. Whenever I find the motivation.. :) So if someone can test it sooner - please do (then I dont have to.. ;) ).

But to me this seems like a false equivalency. (Fan not pulling as much air, so high risk of something.)

From experience, in a Sugo 05 case raising the front fans rotational speed above 600(?)rpm (could have been 800... would have to pull out the posting in the sg05 owners thread where I posted the actual value), actually harmed GPU performance, because of cannibalized airflow. This in itself says nothing - as we dont know what leeway (in regards to max fan speed) Sony allowed with thermal design on their PS2 - but its stuck in my mind as a "dont obsess over top fan speeds" anecdote. Probably the wrong one for this thread (as we dont have comparative temperature readings yet) but still.. :)

Also yes, subjectively the air volume coming out of the PS2 after the upgrade is lower.

edit: Oh, I cant test temperatures with this .elf as my PS2 model is too old for it to work with. Well, that saved me some work.. ;) So someone else has to do testing.

edit2: Found my "unscientific testing of something":
On the Sugo 05 (random PC case):
With the front fan set to 1000 rpm (positive pressure), the benchmark frame average was 40
With the front fan set to 200 rpm (positive pressure (but hardly any.. ;)
)), the benchmark frame average was 48,8
With the front fan set to 400-600 rpm (positive pressure ), the benchmark frame average was 46
GPU set at a fixed fancurve, autothrottling GPU clocks at higher temps.

Granted that was not the main CPU fan in that case (and that case ;) ). :)

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM