ROM Hack xbb files, how to open and/or edit them ?

NewZealandSolid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Does anyone know how to open these files ? I've had a really hard time with it. There doesn't seem to be an application for it and tinke can't do anything with it.

Unfortunately, I'm not very knowledgeable in rom hacking, so I cant figure out what to do with these files. If anyone knows how, please share it. I'd appreciate it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What game would this be? xbb is not a generic extension like bin or dat or something but unless we can look at an example of them then there is not much that can be done.

I did a token search and apparently I pulled apart some files with the extension xbb last year some time
https://gbatemp.net/threads/xbb-files.360831/

I do not think there is are any tools available for that example, however it was pretty simple so you can probably get something done.

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
xbb isn't a common/standart nds file so it can be anything.
You should post an example or at least what game you are working on so that somebody can take a look at them.

I pwned U!

I am pleased to beat you!
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I hope that any way of opening and editing .xbb files will also work with the similar .mbb format used in the Mario vs. Donkey Kong games.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I feel nostalgic now all of a sudden, lol. I had actually managed to extract the image files from Harvest Moon with FAST and Gryphon93's help. Unfortunately I never did find out how to put them back together though; programming just isn't in my blood. :\

NewZealandSolid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok so, I've managed to extract all the .xbb files I needed and edited them, but.....how do I put the edited .nclr, .nanr, .ncer and .ncbr files back into the game ? Does anyone know ?

I guess I'd have to package the extracted files into .xbb files again, but how do you do that ?

Gryphon93

Trophies
XP
Country
I've heard about a tool which can pack XBB-files again after modification. I've worked on one myself since ChaosBoi wanted one earlier, but I haven't finished it because of other projects (I'm really sorry about that ChaosBoi!).

As far as I know, no one has figured out exactly what one of the fields, used for each file entry in an XBB file, is used for. This field is needed to really pack the files correctly, at least if you want to add files (which the game would most likely not care about anyways). I've been trying to figure it out myself, which is the main reason I didn't finish my tool. I have a few leads, but nothing worth mentioning really.

So, the only way of repacking a XBB file to my knowledge is to replace the the old data in the XBB file for the particular file entry you want to replace. Then you have to change the appropriate fields for the file entry to reflect any changes in the file size, etc. (If I recall correctly the only field you need to change is the file size field). Of course this can be done by using a hex editor, but that is tedious. For the time being I recommend that you check out this thread: http://gbatemp.net/threads/harvest-moon-a-new-beginning-scripts-etc-in-plain-text.382612/page-7. The URL will take you to the 7th page of the thread where some tools are discussed. I think you will be able to find something there. I haven't checked out any of the tools myself.

Good luck!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge