Gaming WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2009

Turmoil

OP
Trophies
Website
mos.net.au
XP
Country
Well I'm not sure if anyone else is interested apart from me, but here it is for anyone that might of missed it.

First details from IGN.
More info in a developer chat.

To recap:
Being developed by Tose, the folks behind Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, the DS version of SVR '09 will pack a season mode with an RPG approach.
Back to more of a D-pad grappler with limited touchscreen controls.
Create a Wrestler (dpnt get too excited, only a couple of CAW slots, but hey its better than none)
Bigger Roster - around 30 superstars
More match types - new match types like cage match, table match, ladder match etc.

Looks a lot more like a solid hand-held wrestling game, well more than last years strange effort (which I actually kind of liked still). Oh what I would give for FirePro DS...

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-tba-20080327080518337.jpg
wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-tba-20080327080519290.jpg

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-tba-20080327080519696.jpg
wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-tba-20080327080520134.jpg

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-tba-20080327080520509.jpg

Turmoil

OP
Trophies
Website
mos.net.au
XP
Country
Answer from THQ's senior creative manager:

It's completely new. You know, we tried an original approach with last year's effort, and we really wanted to take a different stab at this year. What we're doing is we're going back to more of a traditional wrestling-style game where it's not you move from sequence to sequence but actually you have full movement around the ring, you can choose whether you want to strike/grapple at any time, we have a light grapple and heavy grapple. We're going back to more of a traditional wrestling gameplay style, and we are not involving too much stylus control. We are having stylus control in there, but it's not the entire game as it was in the past effort. This is something that we're really excited about because we think the fans were expecting more of a traditional wrestling style with the DS controls and so now we feel we are really, truly able to deliver that this year.

Turmoil

OP
Trophies
Website
mos.net.au
XP
Country
Yeah thank god they didn't continue with the touchscreen killing controls of the last game. Fun for a while but not what I want from a wrestling game.

Turmoil

OP
Trophies
Website
mos.net.au
XP
Country
Ahh good old No Mercy, always gets a mention in any wrestling thread, though I personally prefer FirPro or KOC series better, but all 3 are stand out wrestling games.

With around 30 people on the roster there doesnt seem to be a lot of room for divas, but a few of the more popular ones may sneak in. As long as they are extras and dont take the spot of one of the male wrestlers that fine with me as they are always pretty ordinary to play as, though much better to look at of course, but it is DS so it wont be that detailed ;D

gblock247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank f'n god...I HATED SD vs RAW 08 cause of the touch screen crap...

Wish they'd come out with a Fire Pro DS, they release two in the GBA...come on
smile.gif

hova1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
when SVR 08 came out, the first thing i said was, "god, i hope next year they make a traditional control". and god heard my prayers.
bow.gif

ctkxtreme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SVR 08 was interesting in concept, but once you actually try it, it gets tiring doing the same controls. Can't wait for 09.

Although I still wish for a Fire Pro Wrestling DS with wifi.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything would be better than the 2008 game. I thought I read yesterday that while you can move around the ring with the d-pad, you still used the stylus to bust off actual moves. If that's true, it will still suck to me. They BETTER include a left-handed option.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yay for D-Pad controls. I have no clue what they were thinking with the last outing, they should have tested it with actual consumers who would have told them, "back to the drawing board, mates"

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mmmm now that i looked it up on gamespot
it looks quite interesting
ill keep my eyes peeled for this one!

p.s. the tag teams make it even more interesting!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: