Hacking WTH: SLC NAND, NAND Saving, AP?

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Other than they are based on MXIC's ROM chips series I know nothing more of how they implemented RO/RW hybrid chip for CARD2 game cards.

Wouldn't it be too expensive to make a portion strictly RO? As in, nothing can write to it because it's ROM?

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Macronix makes the MX23 series a custom for nintendo.

The RO is a HW Write protect feature of the MX chip itself, not anything nintendo wrote in the code. Or more specifically a sector protect, aka the "card 2" reference.

mxic_page2.png

Link to pdf: here

The MX23 falls under a ROM chip specs but it is a custom SLC NAND with the HW Write protect on the first partition.

MX23 series

The MX30 is the SLC NAND specs.

MX30 series

The 16384 Mbit size isn't listed as available, so getting a specific pinout of the read and write isn't available.

minexew

ayy lmao
Trophies
XP
Country
You probably want a source for my information because it is "Just Speculation™", well I can't give you a source because it's the CTR_SDK, so you'll just have to take my word for it. I'm not going to leak parts of the SDK just to make skeptical people happy, this is how it is, deal with it.

And I don't suppose you're exactly going to share with us how you got your hands on it in the first place? :P

Macronix makes the MX23 series a custom for nintendo.

The RO is a HW Write protect feature of the MX chip itself, not anything nintendo wrote in the code. Or more specifically a sector protect, aka the "card 2" reference.

Oh well, quite the bitch slap for robo989. Was about time that somebody put him in his place.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So card2, any speculation on how Gateway will go around it (if they can). With the emunand they are redirecting system nand to sd. So is it possible to do same with saves? Intercept the save commands and redirect to sd card instead?

Or as there are currently only 2 games, is the solution more likely, emunand, then play original cart.

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So card2, any speculation on how Gateway will go around it (if they can). With the emunand they are redirecting system nand to sd. So is it possible to do same with saves? Intercept the save commands and redirect to sd card instead?

Or as there are currently only 2 games, is the solution more likely, emunand, then play original cart.
My guess is that they microchip handling the commands translating ROM access to the MicroSD card never expected to get write commands. I imagine you'd be able to update the cart's FW via the GW launcher. GW Mode currently write the save to the EEPROM when launching a game, and dump the EEPROM when closing a game, GW mode will need more checks to know to instead write to and dump from the "writable region" when dealing with CARD2 devices. However Pokemon X/Y is also built with SDK 5.x, since the promised to have that working, they need to find a work around for the logo. Since they got emuNAND working, I suspect running a patched version of the latest FW is GW's answer to any firmware incompatibilities caused by being stuck on FW 4.5.0-X.

jrr6415sun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you for the information. It was very easy to read.

Does the moved logo mean that gateway won't be able to play all new games? Is there a possibility of gateway being able to fix this problem easily or will it require a lot of time or possibly not be able to be fixed at all?

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
thank you for the information. It was very easy to read.

Does the moved logo mean that gateway won't be able to play all new games? Is there a possibility of gateway being able to fix this problem easily or will it require a lot of time or possibly not be able to be fixed at all?

They used EmuNAND to fix it :P

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am confused.

games like AC:NL which use a SLC-NAND in-place of a regular CARD2 hybrid chip.

AC:NL can't be played on GW. AC:NL crashes shortly after it attempts to load savedata. Gateway3DS apparently fails at emulating the RW region of CARD2 chips

The first quote seems to say that Animal Crossing does not have a CARD2. The second quote seems to say that Gateway cannot emulate the CARD2 present in Animal Crossing. ???

Edit: Or does it mean that Animal Crossing has a CARD2, but not a "regular" CARD2?

If so, does that mean that two problems would have to be fixed for Animal Crossing to work? (CARD2 and NAND)

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or does it mean that Animal Crossing has a CARD2, but not a "regular" CARD2?

If so, does that mean that two problems would have to be fixed for Animal Crossing to work? (CARD2 and NAND)
The SLC-NAND used in AC:NL would have been designed to behave like a regular CARD2 chip from the 3DS' perspective, except having faster read/write speeds.

phanteon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i still dont understand many things but i fing this really interesting.

my question is: do you think that the current GW cartridge is technically capable of running all the existing cards?

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
i still dont understand many things but i fing this really interesting.

my question is: do you think that the current GW cartridge is technically capable of running all the existing cards?

It should be. If GW Team weren't lazy.

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What Gateway simply do, is loading a patched firmware. So the only thing they need to do is patching 6.3 to work with their card and all games, which need a new SDK version should run fine. The CARD2 games are more complicated and the red Gateway card needs a FPGA update. Patching the firmware for that is to much work and possible can destroy other things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.