• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Would You Pay for Air to Breathe?

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 6,562
  • Replies 89

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We pay for water. Why not air? Sure it’s more of a necessity, but it’s an opportunity to make money. Who wouldn’t want to make money? Charge by the cubic foot and you’ll be so rich. Water is necessary, but not as much as air. Guess I’m off to look for that second job that I always wanted. WAIT, how can we charge pets?

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We pay for water. Why not air? Sure it’s more of a necessity, but it’s an opportunity to make money. Who wouldn’t want to make money? Charge by the cubic foot and you’ll be so rich. Water is necessary, but not as much as air. Guess I’m off to look for that second job that I always wanted. WAIT, how can we charge pets?

What cracks me up is that all these "taxes" are mostly unnecessary and useless, well, unless you are the person collecting the taxes. In which case, I suppose it's a good way to force idiots to give you their money. So yeah, I'd suggest getting that second job if you want to get rich. Although, you probably won't be solving any problems, just flying around in your private jet, playing golf, eating a lot of expensive food, etc ...

Last edited by cots,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If anyone is wondering I'm all for reducing carbon emissions back to a levels that were present before we started pumping the shit into the air.
Glad we're in agreement on that one too. China has been a big problem lately, even in terms of emitting banned ozone-depleting CFCs, but that doesn't mean we should give up agency over what's happening in the US on that front.

You pay for the air you breathe now through the carbon tax. Air is already taxed.
You don't pay anything for the carbon tax directly, but you do subsidize corporations which pass on those costs to the consumer (which isn't all of them). When it's a tax on the consumer, it's more a tribute paid to corporate greed than anything else, certainly not a tax on the air you breathe. Just like Nestle uses public water sources to gather the water they resell in bottles, if air gets sold to people, it'll be sold by Apple or Monster some shit. Not the government.

When I was younger, some 20 or some years ago, my father asked me "Can you name 5 things that aren't taxed". I started with with air and water ... after about 5 minutes I gave up. Can you name 5 things that aren't taxed?
Oh boo-fucking-hoo. You get back what you're willing to put into your community. And if you don't vote in shit representatives to local/state/federal government, at least you get some assurances that tax dollars are spent wisely and efficiently. Not just poured back into the corporations which pay people poverty wages for full-time jobs.

Last edited by Xzi,

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh boo-fucking-hoo. You get back what you're willing to put into your community. And if you don't vote in shit representatives to local/state/federal government, at least you get some assurances that tax dollars are spent wisely and efficiently. Not just poured back into the corporations which pay people poverty wages for full-time jobs.

There are a lot of other ways you can help your community and country that don't involve being forced to pay for things that are in most part not necessary or required and in most cases the taxes you do pay are never used for what they were intended for and just make the Government and Corporations bigger, richer, more powerful while the common person loses more money and more of their rights.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
There are a lot of other ways you can help your community and country that don't involve being forced to pay for things that are in most part not necessary or required and in most cases the taxes you do pay are never used for what they were intended for and just make the Government and Corporations bigger, richer, more powerful while the common person loses more money and more of their rights.
Absolutely, I'm simply advocating for more rights, as in the right to medical care without the fear of going into lifelong indebted servitude to pay it off, or the right to vote for all American citizens. And yes, there are other means of helping and getting more involved with your community, but do you expect charitable effort to do everything in a capitalist society? Because that would be unrealistic. Charity isn't going to fix potholes and crumbling bridges. Or build new public parks.

"You need the Government" is a lie. In truth, "The Government needs us".
The government is us, dingus. And right now it's reflecting the worst of us on the federal level.

Last edited by Xzi,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paying for air sure sounds ludicrous, doesn't it?

We already pay for drinking water (one way or the other), I can see it happening with air some day.

There are parts of the world that water has never really been free, if you want there's a great historical documentary about it, I think its called, dragon ball.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima took the stage at the outset to reveal that Switch will...