Hacking Would you like to see no piracy this time?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 9,237
  • Replies 102
  • Likes 3
Status
Not open for further replies.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wish there was some way to have a digital copy of everygame that you bought physical.

I hate buying digital games as it feels like there will be a day in the future where i would not be able to play certain games anymore if nintendo servers go down. With a physical game, "you are supposed to have that security that you own this game and can play it completely offline at anytime regardless of how many decades went by". I used my wording carefully, because i know the times have changed a bit where u buy a physical game but inorder to play it, you have to do a massive download, or you cant play a game until its updated..etc..

I do however, like the fact of having my whole library with me without the need to risking damaging physical ports or damaging cartridges (or just carrying cartridges around).

Would be nice if there was a way where a physical game is permanently locked to your console and it allows you to copy it to the memory card and run it digital. but i dont think that will ever be possible because there will be people that will complain about "reselling games"

Who would stop you from borrowing a game, and copying it to ur console. it feels like this is just one of those areas you cant control perfectly.

on the other hand, i feel like this sometimes too. i just fear for the system since people always say: "piracy kills a system". but i understand thats not directly true.

The way i see it in the end is: if there is no way to get a digital copy of a game for free, then depending on how bad said person wants the game, they would resort to "equally illegal" methods of obtaining a physical copy "for free".

If piracy does hurt sales, how does pokemon and monster hunter on the 3ds still sold millions of units worldwide? Even smash? What about the wii games? Or the ds pokemon games..

1 game pirated != 1 sale lost
1000 games pirated > 0 sale lost

Both sides of the problem are being dishonest. You don't match piracy and sales 1:1 because there are people that legit cant afford games. But there are also people who could and would buy them if they had no other way.
And so its a loss in sales, no matter how you put it.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Image a world with good people, imagine us having CFW without any ability to load pirated games. Just us having everything else with the ability to mod our games, edit our saves and run homebrew with the sole exception of you having to purchase your own games.

Are you good enough of a person that you could wish for something like this? I know I am.
that's utopia, tc, just be realistic.

even there won't be a backup loader, just emulators, those ''roms'' are still pirated.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 game pirated != 1 sale lost
1000 games pirated > 0 sale lost

Both sides of the problem are being dishonest. You don't match piracy and sales 1:1 because there are people that legit cant afford games. But there are also people who could and would buy them if they had no other way.
And so its a loss in sales, no matter how you put it.
I know it is still a loss, but a really almost non noticiable loss in the eyes of the developer. Buying or reselling used games doesnt even give the developer money, and the reseller could be using the money to buy more used games, and the we go in full circle.

The thing is, as i try to state, that we as simple mortals have no right to tell others what they should and shouldnt do, that's up to they. Is the same with the furry fetishes stuff, there some disgusting ones, but hey, let people enjoy what they like if they are hurting no one. Piracy doesnt hurt a developer or a company.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because breakings ToS is not necessarily seen as unethical if it doesnt hurt the sales (for some of us). They upset Nintendo BECAUSE it opens to the doors to piracy, hence why you can be against it, but its perfectly possible to be against piracy in general, while in favor of modding, without being hypocritical.

Generally, if you're like "i have the money for it but id rather spend it on something else that I cant pirate" you're effectively hurting the sales, in addition to being ethically shady.
We have to be pretty naive and bias to think the minority of pirates will weigh down Nintendo's success. How can we hurt sales to multiplat games of a company? Exclusives will generally outgain piracy b/c its solely promoted within the Switch. Nintendo advertises their big games so sale problems shouldn't even be a figment of concern.
The hypocrisy still comes into play b/c even if you decided to only mod your still hurting sales by not being a potential consumer if E-shop isn't available and certain games work on different firmwares. Your cutting off their service to support the homebrew you installed by staying on lower firmwares alone. I'm simply saying there is no right in homebrew as well in piracy if your worried about sales then don't support things that can lead to piracy or sale loss.

Last edited by MasterJ360, , Reason: Can't spell

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it is still a loss, but a really almost non noticiable loss in the eyes of the developer. Buying or reselling used games doesnt even give the developer money, and the reseller could be using the money to buy more used games, and the we go in full circle.

The thing is, as i try to state, that we as simple mortals have no right to tell others what they should and shouldnt do, that's up to they. Is the same with the furry fetishes stuff, there some disgusting ones, but hey, let people enjoy what they like if they are hurting no one. Piracy doesnt hurt a developer or a company.

Furry fetishes are (usually) not illegal xD
And so is modding a console for homebrew. It breaks the ToS yes, but the ToS isnt the law, so all you "risk" is getting banned by Nintendo.

So lets agree to disagree here. I think its totally fine to tell people they're doing something wrong in case of something illegal like that, just like its totally fine if they dont want to give a crap about it. In the end of the day, everyone is free to do as they please and face the consequences (or not) of their actions.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

We have to be pretty naive and bias to think the minority of pirates will weigh down Nintendo's success. How can we hurt sales to multiplat games of a company? Exclusives will generally outgain piracy b/c its solely promoted within the Switch. Nintendo advertises their big games so sale problems shouldn't even be a figment of concern.
The hypocrisy still comes into play b/c even if you decided to only mod your still hurting sales by not being a potential consumer if E-shop isn't available and certain games work on different firmwares. Your cutting off their service to support the homebrew you installed by staying on lower firmwares alone. I'm simply saying there is no right in homebrew as well in piracy if your worried about sales then don't support things that can lead to piracy.

That is ideology though. Saying that because its a big company its fine because they get "good numbers" instead of "super good" numbers.
Here's another one: if everyone has the same ethics, they will indeed suffer from it, directly resulting in cuts in games and all.
Basically, you need people with higher ethical values to make up for those who have lower ethical values. A bit like you need people to buy a game day first so the game can go on sales later and still reach its target.

About homebrew: its a good point. Personally i have one switch for online and one that i keep for modding. So im not hurting their sales. The other thing is that again, modding isnt illegal, piracy is.

Last edited by deinonychus71,
Reactions: DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Furry fetishes are (usually) not illegal xD
And so is modding a console for homebrew. It breaks the ToS yes, but the ToS isnt the law, so all you "risk" is getting banned by Nintendo.

So lets agree to disagree here. I think its totally fine to tell people they're doing something wrong in case of something illegal like that, just like its totally fine if they dont want to give a crap about it. In the end of the day, everyone is free to do as they please and face the consequences (or not) of their actions.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That is ideology though. Saying that because its a big company its fine because they get "good numbers" instead of "super good" numbers.
Here's another one: if everyone has the same ethics, they will indeed suffer from it, directly resulting in cuts in games and all.
Basically, you need people with higher ethical values to make up for those who have lower ethical values.

About homebrew: its a good point. Personally i have one switch for online and one that i keep for modding. So im not hurting their sales. The other thing is that again, modding isnt illegal, piracy is.
Glad that we agree/disagree in the subject :P

Reactions: deinonychus71

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to pirate the shit out of the Switch. But, for game companies that I truly do wanna support, and for IPs that I truly wanna support, I'll buy their game.

Reactions: Don Jon
D

Deleted User

OP
I think that some older systems (Wii, DS, PSP, PS2, PS1...) were crippled by piracy. Theses days online play and the eShop minimises damage done by piracy to negligible levels. I don't give a fuck if anyone decides to load Switch "backups".

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, you need people with higher ethical values to make up for those who have lower ethical values. A bit like you need people to buy a game day first so the game can go on sales later and still reach its target.

So we need to have 2 Nintendo Switch to make homebrew ok? Yeah I know modding isn't illegal, but that still doesn't support Nintendo either. Lets not white knight half the glass here

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So we need to have 2 Nintendo Switch to make homebrew ok? Yeah I know modding isn't illegal, but that still doesn't support Nintendo either. Lets not white knight half the glass here
I bought literally all the nintendo ips release so far in the eshop, how is that not supporting them?

I don't really get the point. Modding as it is harmless.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought literally all the nintendo ips release so far in the eshop, how is that not supporting them?
Im generalizing the situation not everybody is going to have 2 systems. I never said modding was harmful im saying by having homebrew we are cutting off Nintendo from being a consumer in regards to E-shop
or new games on higher firmware. You can't just blame piracy for loss of sales

Last edited by MasterJ360, , Reason: Update

Nema

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will buy switch when backup loader released to pirate games. Nintendo will get my money for their great system but no money for their censored games. I buy game console to play games so yes pirated games are what will push me to get a switch. I don't care about what happens to developers. It's not like they care what will happen to my life.

Don Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i cant wait to pirate games before they hit eshop or the shelves
but srysly ill buy games i support
as i did with the wii u

D

Deleted User

OP
It doesn't matter, its gonna happen again just like the 3DS

Hyborix3

Gabi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"Imagine a world without piracy. Are you a good enough person that wants that?" Are you daft?
How about imagining consumers who can't afford game that cost a shit tons from sellers nowadays on "rare" games?

Or how about game series people were reluctant to get into but with the help of piracy, they actually supported the sequels?
Stop looking into a single sided perspective and look at the other angles here.

Last edited by Hyborix3,

Absintu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
320€ for the hardware
70€ for the pro controller
60€ super mario odissey
60€ Xenoblade chronicles
40€ on various indie games

total of 550€€

and thats it. Will wait for homebrew, emus and backup loader.
im not gonna say im not buying any more titles, but i think i made my part on a balanced universe :)

Last edited by Absintu,

whateverg1012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
320€ for the hardware
70€ for the pro controller
60€ super mario odissey
60€ Xenoblade chronicles
40€ on various indie games

total of 560€€

and thats it. Will wait for homebrew, emus and backup loader.
im not gonna say im not buying any more titles, but i think i made my part on a balanced universe :)

70€ for a pro controller is thievery on Nintendo's part :P

Reactions: Absintu and ry755
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol