Would you kill someone in self defense?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Haloman800, Jun 14, 2016.

?

Would you kill someone in self defense?

1. Yes

113 vote(s)
    80.7%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    19.3%
  1. Haloman800
    OP

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    ..In self defense? For example, if they were threatening the life of you or your loved ones.

Personally, I would have no qualms over it. When I lived in the country, we had plenty of wild animals who would attack our pets; you either kill the raccoon or watch your cat die. I always saved my cat(s). I lost no sleep over the raccoon.

In my mind, anyone who is evil enough to attack innocent people is no higher than an animal.

GalladeGuy likes this.

2. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    It's easy to say 'yes'. However, I would have to.. I'm not exactly keen on someone threatening my family's life, let alone my own.

3. SonicCloud

SonicCloud wash your mouth with soap!

Mar 29, 2016
    Mexico
    Somewhere

This is probably getting closed soon

Well only in self defense i case they we're threatening me
    Otherwise, of course im not crazy to kill someone just because why not?

4. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    in self defense I think I would be able to but it is hard to say.

i killed a possum one time that made in my home on 2 occasions, i have two little kids so i did what I had to do. lost sleep for about 3 days over it :cry::cry:

5. insidexdeath

insidexdeath .

Apr 13, 2010
    Yes, but it's difficult to judge since I'm not in that position. Some might actually not be able to kill even if the opportunity is there. Taking a life away is just a huge thing

TheKawaiiDesu and Lucifer666 like this.
  6. TheGrayShow1467

TheGrayShow1467 屈折

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    Self defense? Not sure... depends on the circumstances... Almost all cases would be no. Neutralize them without killing? Yes.

Plot twist: What if to save you or a loved on, you had to kill a loved one who is adamant on killing all in his/her path? (My answer is: Neutralize them so they can't hurt anyone WITHOUT killing them or severely injuring them. Call the police and let them deal with it.)

7. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    I think it would take a very special circumstance. Let's say my daughter marries someone who breaks and abuses her. I may be inclined to maim him severely. As in he would loose parts... If he doesn't survive... Oh well.

Posghetti likes this.
  8. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    It's either you or them, and no one wants their own life taken away from them.

nxwing, Red9419, TheVinAnator and 3 others like this.
  9. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Neutralize first. They have a weapon? Blow their arm off. Stab their eyes out. destroy their kneecap. Death is always the final option.

Koko-Kun, nxwing, Red9419 and 8 others like this.
  10. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Depending on the situation the person if they lived will remember what you did to them and they might want revenge on you either by doing it themselves or getting someone else to do it for them.

cearp likes this.
  11. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Addict

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    If I can defend without killing would be better :/

12. MsMidnight

MsMidnight part time fe modder

Oct 12, 2015
    kys
    I would kill because well, people call me heartless. If you ordered me to kill someone I'd do it regardless of relation.

In self defense yes because it was your fault messing with me

13. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I answered "No" for this reason. I'm not a fan of the implied point being made by the OP, but meh, civil discussions and learning people's views are always interesting

osaka35, Fluto, Sliter and 1 other person like this.
  14. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    The funny thing was in university, I discovered I was one of those people who reacted violently in cases of "fighting". My roommates almost came to blows over a discussion over bread/communal food, and I didn't even think about jumping in between those two. One of my roommates got very aggressive and stood up to intimidate the other one - as in "got in her face". I didn't even think about it, just found myself standing up and jumping in between them. Luckily it didn't escalate beyond that, and the other roommate ended up restraining the "aggressive one". (Four people in the house....)

If someone were threatening me? I would probably choose to disarm them. I have pepper spray (yes, it's sold for canines only), but sometimes you'd see me palm the stuff in a bad area - and luckily, I haven't had to use it yet.

15. Logan Pockrus

Logan Pockrus Knawledge is key.

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: I believe I'd be capable of it. Something I've learned about myself is when I get angry (for lack of a better term), I tend to do irrational things (and subsequently regret it afterward). But to kill someone? That would have to be a special case, like my family is under immediate danger. Needless to say, I'd have to receive professional therapy after ending another human life. Hell, I feel bad about killing spiders sometimes.

16. TrapperKeeperX

TrapperKeeperX GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 27, 2005
    United States
    No, Unless my life was at risk and I had no choice but I would feel terrible to do so.

@Haloman800 I love your signature.

Last edited by TrapperKeeperX, Jun 14, 2016
    Haloman800 likes this.
  17. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    In that situation, one wouldn't think about killing but to escape so the last thing they care is the life of the one who attack them.

I would just shoot at him immediately without thinking and hope he stop, if he dead then that just mean god want him in hell.

18. JustAKirby

JustAKirby GBAtemp Fan

Oct 7, 2015
    United States
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    I wouldn't do it unless it was the only way to prevent them from taking my life or the life of my loved ones. Besides, with how the current law enforcement system is set up "self-defense" fails to function as a viable explanation

Last edited by JustAKirby, Jun 14, 2016
  19. EarlAB

EarlAB hon hon titty croissants

Banned
    Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere.
    Definitely, if it's legal.

Last edited by EarlAB, Jun 14, 2016
    Haloman800 and JustAKirby like this.
  20. Logan Pockrus

Logan Pockrus Knawledge is key.

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    Unfortunately you're right. I don't want to start a debate, but the whole "tighter gun laws" ideology is BS.

EDIT: I know that isn't exactly what you meant, but still.