Would you have bought your DS...

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by dan80315, Sep 3, 2010.

?

Would you have bought a DS if piracy was impossible?

1. No, I loooove my free games. <3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, I would have still purchased it. <3

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. dan80315
    OP

dan80315 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    USA
    So we've all heard the crazy from the media outlets that piracy is killing video games, movies, music etc. pretty much any form of media.

Nintendo has blamed piracy for lame sales on their games but at the moment, they're thriving with their multi-million mountains of cash because of their super successful sales when it comes to their current consoles, the Wii and the DS.

One could even say that most of those sales would not have happened had piracy not taken place on their consoles.

I myself am cheap and admit that I wouldn't have purchased a DS if piracy would've been impossible. I will most likely not buy many games whenever I purchase a 3DS (probably just a few) since flashcarts will be almost non-existent for the first year (just an assumption, maybe there will?).

So my question to you guys is, would you have purchased a DS if you couldn't have been able to pirate games on them?

2. Overman1977

Overman1977 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 22, 2009
    Canada
    YES, I still would have bought a DS.....of course!

3. Phoenix Goddess

Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

Apr 25, 2009
    United States
    Away from civilization.
    I had my DS before I even knew what a flash cart was, so the answer is, yes.

4. Fellow

Fellow GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2008
    United States
    I wouldn't have at all.

5. Wabsta

Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Apr 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    SCUMM Bar
    This.
    The flashcart was just a bonus. Just like that I'm buying a 3DS at launch. Wether it's gonna have flashcarts or not.

6. dan80315
    OP

dan80315 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    USA
    I agree. I don't think I'll wait around for a buggy/early-developed form of flashcart (if it ever even comes to that). The line-up they have at launch is just amazing; all that in just the few short weeks that it's out.

This is Nintendo's biggest console launch by far.

7. Schizoanalysis

Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Jun 23, 2009
    Of course!

8. muckers

muckers GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2006
    Warwickshire, UK
    Same to me. I'd had it pre-ordered since the March before it was released, so I had my name on one before it'd even been revealed. In hindsight that was pretty crazy!

It was the games that excited me (and still do) - not the level of ability to get them for free. Homebrew is all well and good, but lack of it is not going to hinder my purchase of a console if the games are worth it.

9. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Yes, for pokemon... and also at the time I had just come back from training and had nothing to get net access with, so I got a DSi to use it's browser and such.

10. Shinigami357

Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Jul 29, 2010
    hell yeah, of course!
    granted, i didn't buy mine (my uncle got it for me, yay!!!) but having one is kinda like tradition for me.

11. BoxShot

BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    Middle of the ocean.
    This and it was for about 3 years. :/ Only did get 10 games or so.

12. Fellow

Fellow GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2008
    United States
    I was less inclined to play a game and finish it if it was pirated, that's the problem. The value in the game takes a swan dive if you get it for free, especially when you have hundreds of games.

13. princeEyeless

princeEyeless GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Of course!!

14. pitman

pitman Addicted to Magical Girls

Jan 23, 2003
    Iceland
    Where rockets don't fall.
    I probably wouldn't because after buying a PS2 and a couple games I couldn't buy anymore (games cost over 70$) and the console collected dust for a year until I got it a mod chip, so I didn't want that to happen with the DS too so I researched about flashcards before a DS.

15. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I bought it on the european release.. long before any flashcart, so yes. I love all the games so much and have several bought ones! [​IMG]

16. fluffykiwi

fluffykiwi GBAtemp Fan

Oct 24, 2002
    Scotland
    I bought my DS and my daughter's before the flashcarts were available.

The purchase of flashcarts only really meant I now play games I would never have purchased, and then only rarely. I still buy the games I really want, so "Piracy" hasnt really changed what cash the companies are getting from me.

17. heartgold

heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 11, 2009
    London
    My first ds was a dslite, I admit I only brought it to play pokemon d/p as those were the big games I was waiting for a long time and play some GBA games as my GBA sp broke. I didn't know flashcarts even existed back then. Now I'm happy with my dsi using AK2i [​IMG]

18. Bunie

Bunie #1 Princess

Aug 19, 2010
    United States
    Pleasureville, KY
    I got my DS Before i knew about flash carts. i have absolutely no money, so i only ever owned 2 games lol. Mario Kart, and Feel the Magic. So they definitely haven't lost money from me, either.

19. Infinite Zero

Infinite Zero Almost!

Apr 25, 2010
    United States
    California
    I got my ds and didn't know there were flashcarts so yes.

20. CamulaHikari

CamulaHikari Kami Kurai

Jul 10, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Chocolate Factory~<3
    I got my first DS just a few days after release. So I already had it before flashcarts were even out.
    And even now I buy some games, but only the really good ones~! [​IMG]