Gaming Would you have bought your DS...

Would you have bought a DS if piracy was impossible?

• No, I loooove my free games. <3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I would have still purchased it. <3

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

dan80315

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So we've all heard the crazy from the media outlets that piracy is killing video games, movies, music etc. pretty much any form of media.

Nintendo has blamed piracy for lame sales on their games but at the moment, they're thriving with their multi-million mountains of cash because of their super successful sales when it comes to their current consoles, the Wii and the DS.

One could even say that most of those sales would not have happened had piracy not taken place on their consoles.

I myself am cheap and admit that I wouldn't have purchased a DS if piracy would've been impossible. I will most likely not buy many games whenever I purchase a 3DS (probably just a few) since flashcarts will be almost non-existent for the first year (just an assumption, maybe there will?).

So my question to you guys is, would you have purchased a DS if you couldn't have been able to pirate games on them?

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
phoenixgoddess27 said:
I had my DS before I even knew what a flash cart was, so the answer is, yes.
This.
The flashcart was just a bonus. Just like that I'm buying a 3DS at launch. Wether it's gonna have flashcarts or not.

dan80315

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wabsta said:
phoenixgoddess27 said:
This.
The flashcart was just a bonus. Just like that I'm buying a 3DS at launch. Wether it's gonna have flashcarts or not.
I agree. I don't think I'll wait around for a buggy/early-developed form of flashcart (if it ever even comes to that). The line-up they have at launch is just amazing; all that in just the few short weeks that it's out.

This is Nintendo's biggest console launch by far.

muckers

Trophies
XP
Country
wabsta said:
phoenixgoddess27 said:
This.

Same to me. I'd had it pre-ordered since the March before it was released, so I had my name on one before it'd even been revealed. In hindsight that was pretty crazy!

It was the games that excited me (and still do) - not the level of ability to get them for free. Homebrew is all well and good, but lack of it is not going to hinder my purchase of a console if the games are worth it.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hell yeah, of course!
granted, i didn't buy mine (my uncle got it for me, yay!!!) but having one is kinda like tradition for me.

Fellow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was less inclined to play a game and finish it if it was pirated, that's the problem. The value in the game takes a swan dive if you get it for free, especially when you have hundreds of games.

pitman

Addicted to Magical Girls
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I probably wouldn't because after buying a PS2 and a couple games I couldn't buy anymore (games cost over 70$) and the console collected dust for a year until I got it a mod chip, so I didn't want that to happen with the DS too so I researched about flashcards before a DS.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I bought it on the european release.. long before any flashcart, so yes. I love all the games so much and have several bought ones!
biggrin.gif

fluffykiwi

Trophies
Website
www.gba.shorturl.com
XP
Country
I bought my DS and my daughter's before the flashcarts were available.

The purchase of flashcarts only really meant I now play games I would never have purchased, and then only rarely. I still buy the games I really want, so "Piracy" hasnt really changed what cash the companies are getting from me.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My first ds was a dslite, I admit I only brought it to play pokemon d/p as those were the big games I was waiting for a long time and play some GBA games as my GBA sp broke. I didn't know flashcarts even existed back then. Now I'm happy with my dsi using AK2i
wink.gif

Bunie

#1 Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my DS Before i knew about flash carts. i have absolutely no money, so i only ever owned 2 games lol. Mario Kart, and Feel the Magic. So they definitely haven't lost money from me, either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F