Hacking would you get a dsl even considering the hinge?

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I have been reading about all these locking problems, and I am getting pretty scared about buying a dsl
frown.gif
. would any of you get a dsl and be really careful about opening and closing it
unsure.gif
, or would you stick with the original ds?
nds.gif

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
personally i dont really care about it, i never lock it out like that anyway.

my friend does it to my dsl all the time though but now i've told him to stop but so far it's been a month and a few days, nothing's yet.

and just everything ELSE about the ds lite is so much better than ds phat.

i doubt nintendo will do a recall as their products are usually invincible.

so just get one
smile.gif

rhfb

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My DSL is perfect. My first one had 2 dead pixels, so I sent it in to Nintendo. They got it back to me in 4 days, flashed it, working fine ever since.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, i would still get a DS Lite even with the hinge thing. it doesnt really affect gameplay, it still looks nice, and performs like it did right out of the box! If i got tired of it (or somehow annyored) id call up nintendo and tell them about the problem, and say that im not the only one, and im sure they'd probally replace it, no questions asked
tongue.gif

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sounds like america just got a really shitty batch, loose screens, bad L buttons, this hinge thing, bad buttons/dpad

my new zealand DSL is perfect

Don't forget the loose volume slider!!

But with all the problems, go buy one anyways, it'll make you feel like a big man and you can push arround those little kids with the phats.

tomdarth5

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My mate came round last week - hed just bought a white dsl. I was fairly impressed although the sound isnt any where near as loud as a phat ds. other than that though very nice.

As much as id like one ive just bought 2 gig sd card for supercard sd so dont think ill bother (dont want to have to get new kit as well as i would be bothered about it sticking out)
nds.gif

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as id like one ive just bought 2 gig sd card for supercard sd so dont think ill bother (dont want to have to get new kit as well as i would be bothered about it sticking out)
nds.gif

Unless its purely the cosmetic consideration, I don't think you will be bothered by it sticking out at all. I just got my DSL a few days ago, and the first thing I did after charging up was put one of my EFALinker carts into the GBA slot and give it a go. I was pretty gung ho for getting a G6L for a long time, but once I was actually playing, the protruding GBA cart didn't bother me at all. I'm so tired of waiting for the G6L situation to resolve itself, so I decided to get something to "hold me over" until better things come along. I wouldn't want anything that sticks out any further than a std. GBA cart, but based on the feel of the EFA in my DSL, I went ahead and ordered a Supercard the same day. (SCminiSD & EFA - same size). I'm gonna use the Supercard now until the "holy grail" of DSL flashcart solutions is well established on the market (whatever that might be), and then I'll probably buy a couple of those, like I did with the EFA carts (perfect for GBA, by the way).

The DSL is very dramatic improvement. Whether its worth the money is a personal decision, but I think I like this machine better than any gaming box I've ever owned (and I'm 39 y.o.) I'll definitely be buying another one later on when other color options/special editions are around.

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I guess its a matter of luck. My sisters has dropped her DSL and likes to use all the way to the lock and looks brand new. I guess thanks to all those big sales it has It's easier to start getting problems like this.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Right now, I'm gonna have to say no. I was considering getting one soon but I think it's better to wait. I'm sure Nintendo realizes this problem and is probably fixing or will begin to fix it soon. I guess if you wait a few months we'll get new perfect Lites. Well either that or as .TakaM said, we did get a bad batch of Lites. So just wait a while and we'll get brand new perfect DS Lites pretty soon, well at least maybe 90% of them will be.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nds.gif

Unless its purely the cosmetic consideration, I don't think you will be bothered by it sticking out at all. I just got my DSL a few days ago, and the first thing I did after charging up was put one of my EFALinker carts into the GBA slot and give it a go. I was pretty gung ho for getting a G6L for a long time, but once I was actually playing, the protruding GBA cart didn't bother me at all. I'm so tired of waiting for the G6L situation to resolve itself, so I decided to get something to "hold me over" until better things come along. I wouldn't want anything that sticks out any further than a std. GBA cart, but based on the feel of the EFA in my DSL, I went ahead and ordered a Supercard the same day. (SCminiSD & EFA - same size). I'm gonna use the Supercard now until the "holy grail" of DSL flashcart solutions is well established on the market (whatever that might be), and then I'll probably buy a couple of those, like I did with the EFA carts (perfect for GBA, by the way).

The DSL is very dramatic improvement. Whether its worth the money is a personal decision, but I think I like this machine better than any gaming box I've ever owned (and I'm 39 y.o.) I'll definitely be buying another one later on when other color options/special editions are around.

Everyone always says that it dosen't get in the way, but I find that the ends of my pinkys hit it, and it is kinda annoying. When ever I play my legit games, I always take out the supercard and stick in the dust cover, its just sooo much better IMO. And whenever I do play with the supercard, I try to play on my back, with a pillow on my stomach with the DS pushing agains the pillow so the supercard dissapears in to the pillow. I think the GBA game sticking out is a way bigger deal for cosmetic reasons and handling than it is for portability, 'cause it dosen't bother me in my pocket at all

Topsy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I went through 3 DSLs before I got one that was acceptable. I would have kept exchanging too cause it's a killer little system.

The first DSL I bought, everytime you would push any button on it, the sound would stop until you let go of the button - never heard of that problem yet. My second DSL, the top right button didn't work. My third DSL (that I kept) had a loose touch screen (which I fixed).... All that time too I was worried about getting one with dead pixels and none had em!

If my hinge breaks I'm gonna freek!!!

Rayout

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you have a DS phat I recommend trying the DSL at the store. If the improved brightness and form factor are something you like, I'd get it. Otherwise I'd just keep using the phatty.

If you don't have a DS at the moment and want to get one, definitely go with the Lite!

My hinge is also cracked but really it's a killer portable. When I'm not using it to play games it makes a great mp3 player running moonshell. Great battery life as a mp3 player too I've had it run 8+ hours when I used it while working and it didn't run out of batteries when I got home.

yuwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have been reading about all these locking problems, and I am getting pretty scared about buying a dsl
frown.gif
. would any of you get a dsl and be really careful about opening and closing it
unsure.gif
, or would you stick with the original ds?
nds.gif

You're goign to let like 10 people out of several thousands of DS lites scare you? Oh please! There's more things to worry about than some cracked hinge that doesn't affect anything at all. If anything, nintendo will exchange a new one for you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P