Hardware Would the rice trick work on Wii U gamepad?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, my mom caught me yesterday watching Plex on my Wii U gamepad in my bath (she didnt caugth me in my bath, she caugth me when i got out, ofc) SHE PANICKED!!!
that thing cost 350$, what if you drop it in the water? she told me.
So I just want to know, if EVER I was to drop it in water, would the rice trick work on the wii u gamepad?
You know, the trick to put an electronic device dropped in water in a lot of rice, and it will work again...
I dont ask you to try, just wanna know if it might work. I know it works on cellphone, but those are slim, and the wii u gamepad is very thick, so I wonder if the trick will work on chips deep in the pad...
anyway, tell me if you think it would work or not, just to tell my mom if it does, or not

D

Deleted User

Well... Drop it in water and bye-bye Gamepad. Unsure if Wii U Gamepad would even work after it was 'attacked' by water. I mean it might work but buttons would stop working. (Unsure about touchscreen)

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time my sister uses her phone in the bath, she puts it in a sandwich bag. Maybe you could try putting the gamepad in a freezer bag?

Reactions: wormdood

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The rice trick only sucks up some moisture, it's nothing magical about it. It mostly works if a turned off device got wet, and you need to make it completely dry before turning it on.

If you drop a Wii U gamepad into water while using it, you would most likely short circuit it. Then there's a risk that some fuses will blow (become over charged). No rice would fix that.

Put it in a zip-lock bag, get some sort of tray for the bath tub... don't rely on rice.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@'Issac is right, your gamepad wouldn't be fixed with rice. Even if you got reaaaaaaallllly lucky, the colors on the screen would be ruined/inverted in most places. And even if none of that occurred, you'd cut the life of the gamepad severely.

Trylk248

Honest helper and custom content creator.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello. Thinking a bit further, rice absorbs moisture as told earlier, but let's get into further details.

In order to get the Gamepad to work, remove the battery from it, then let it dry NATURALLY for about 30mins or an hour (touchscreen facing the ground within at least 10cm from ground/surface Now it's a bit dry, GO CAREFULLY with a needle (put electric wire on the end to avoid short-circuiting)(small needles recommended) go carefully in each holes and do a "inside to outside" movement by placing the needles in angle (like if you were trying to get something out of a restrained area).

Done ? Yeah? Let it dry like at beginning now for around two hours.

When your gonna reach 15mins of drying just after putted the Gamepad back to drying, take a bag of rice that is nor baked (obviously lol) and soak in the Gamepad. Make sure to get a bit of pressure so it's not loose and rice gonna do a bit better job. That's going to remove most of the moisture the Gamepad from what remains. Its not perfect but at least better than not doing it.

Okay the two hours drying is done? Time to apply some wax on the Gamepad (careful the not drop wax on the charger port and on the headphone jack. As well as any other metallic parts. For this, make it melt and use something like a piece of cloth and plz wear gloves cuz it might be hot and you don't really want to get injured. The reason why you should apply wax is because that gonna make the water less sticking to the Gamepad next time you drop water on it. Also... DON'T COVER THE TOUCHSCREEN WITH WAX! Instead, use a lubricant and glass cleaning liquid. I always do this mix when cleaning my Wii U or 3DS stuffs and it works like a charm. I call it the "Cleaning Liquid Mix". Here is the recipe:

Cleaning liquid mix

Things you need :
one jar (small one)
mouth rinsing liquid (optional)
lubricant (in liquid or gel)
glass (wearing glass) cleaning liquid
LCD or Screen cleaning liquids (one of them or both)

Now before mixing, clean the jar with hot water (boiling or almost). Dry it with something.

Okay, time to get the liquids together...

Each stuff has to be filling at least 0.5cm of the jar (especially for mouth rinsing) the rest is just a 0.3cm to fill in the jar.

Now shake it for like 20seconds. When its gonna be ready it gonna has a bit of bubbles on the liquid (creamy like stuff).

• Note that you can apply this mixture everywhere (even on metal parts and on screens). Thats the purpose of the mix. Also, it makes your suff looking a bit "fresher".

• Go now spread it with your finger everywhere on controllers. Or fold a kleenex in a square like 4 times folding. Let dry the liquid for a minute then remove it with a cloth. Tad-ah. :)

Last edited by Trylk248,

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This happened to my O3DS once. I promptly took it apart, dried it with a 1500W forced-air space heater (don't overheat!), mopped both sides of the board with isopropanol, then took off the button stickies and scrubbed under those too. It still works at 100% capacity, and this was before I installed a9lh to it.

Word of advice: Dry the battery IMMEDIATELY!

Reactions: Trylk248

Trylk248

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This happened to my O3DS once. I promptly took it apart, dried it with a 1500W forced-air space heater (don't overheat!), mopped both sides of the board with isopropanol, then took off the button stickies and scrubbed under those too. It still works at 100% capacity, and this was before I installed a9lh to it.

Word of advice: Dry the battery IMMEDIATELY!
Nice, glad it worked but as any experienced person would say : do NEVER use an air dryer because you can get the water to go deeper.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice, glad it worked but as any experienced person would say : do NEVER use an air dryer because you can get the water to go deeper.
That is very true, however, this was on the naked board with the daughters removed and shielding raised, and the air current from a space heater is very weak.

Last edited by kehkou,

Trylk248

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yup. Do you have any skills in programming, image editing, audio editing or something else? I'm currently looking for people to help me making an app on the Nintendo 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over