Hacking Worth buying 3DS primarily for DS games and cart?

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS console feels alot better to play than the older DS models, plus support for any 3DS titles you get would be good also. As mentioned, there is that blur issue but most people don't care about it. I have an old XL that I use for my supercard so I can play on a bigger screen, but I do like the 3DS build alot better.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The blur issue is actually at minimum. If you play a DSi/DS (not XL) before a DS game on 3DS, you'll notice it but it's not too much of a pain.

The circle pad changes everything though. Even though I'm accustomed to the gigantic DSi XL screen, the circle pad turns me away from it because of its far more natural feel.

Not only that, you can also play 3DS games. DS games won't have region lock issues 98% of the time so it's perfectly fine. 3DS region lock only applies to DSiWare and 3DS software.

Reactions: 1 person

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The blur issue is actually at minimum. If you play a DSi/DS (not XL) before a DS game on 3DS, you'll notice it but it's not too much of a pain.

The circle pad changes everything though. Even though I'm accustomed to the gigantic DSi XL screen, the circle pad turns me away from it because of its far more natural feel.

Not only that, you can also play 3DS games. DS games won't have region lock issues 98% of the time so it's perfectly fine. 3DS region lock only applies to DSiWare and 3DS software.

I don't think any DS games are region locked, and even if any of them were region locked it wouldn't matter because of what DS hacking groups know.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why wouldn't you want to play 3DS titles? Many of the older 3DS titles are surprisingly cheap. There are also a few decent DL games.

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
Here are 2 examples, 1 from a 2D game, and 1 from a 3D game:
MKDS_DSvs3DS.png

On the left, it's a Screenshot, taken from a DS Phat.
On the right, it's a Screenshot, taken from a 3DS.

BW_DSvs3DS.png

On the left, it's a Screenshot, taken from a DS Phat.
On the right, it's a Screenshot, taken from a 3DS.

Maybe you could see some blur on the 3DS Screenshots, but that's because DS games are played on native 3DS resolution.
To play it on DS's resolution, just hold Select or Start, while booting a DS game.
This will make the game very small, but at least it won't be blurry anymore.

Apart from the DS and DSi Modes, 3DS Mode Games and Apps are worth it.
You can't play any 3DS game on a DS or DSi, but you can vice versa.
In these days, there are more new good 3DS games coming, than new good DS games.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

I don't think any DS games are region locked, and even if any of them were region locked it wouldn't matter because of what DS hacking groups know.
There are actually. Namely certain DSi Enhanced titles like JP Black and White. It works region free on DSL/Phat though.

If you hack it, it plays in DS mode which is forever region free.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There are actually. Namely certain DSi Enhanced titles like JP Black and White. It works region free on DSL/Phat though.

If you hack it, it plays in DS mode which is forever region free.

Sure thing; I thought you were talking about DS mode games. DSi-enhanced games are kind of separate to me, since yes, they can be played in DS mode, but they have full features in on a DSi/3DS (if either a retail cartridge or a CycloDS iEvolution is used).

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the circle pad turns me away from it because of its far more natural feel.

most of the people i've talked to, those who have used my 3ds, and myself, all agree that the circle pad is very unnatural. it feels over sensitive to most actions and required all of us to relearn to control games we were intimately familiar with.

The 3DS's built-in software alone can keep you occupied for a long time

that novelty factor of the 3d camera and the AR cards wore off after about a week for me. i haven't touched any of that stuff in a very long time. all they are were great tech demos in my opinion.

-another world

oxenh

The most unknown member of GBAtemp
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
it´s up to you if you buy a 3ds or a ds(i) family handheld
For me is not so good to play ds games in a 3ds, also if you don´t plan to buy 3ds game NEVER, better buy a dsi xl and don´t waste your money.

cooldude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought the 3DS primarily for Kingdom Hearts 3D and other DS games like Mario Kart, KH: Days, KH: coded, TWEWY, Pokemon BW, Okamiden, and a few others. So yeah, essentially I bought it for KH3D, otherwise I wouldve gotten a DS Lite, so if you don't have much interest in any of the current 3DS games and aren't anticipating any good games for it in the future you're better off buying a used DS for like $40 or something + flash cart.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the circle pad turns me away from it because of its far more natural feel.

most of the people i've talked to, those who have used my 3ds, and myself, all agree that the circle pad is very unnatural. it feels over sensitive to most actions and required all of us to relearn to control games we were intimately familiar with.

-another world
I disagree completely. I love the circle pad. Went from using normal analog sticks and i had no problem transitioning, it always felt natural and comfortable to me. It's among the better analog sticks i've used in my life, and i've used tons of analog sticks.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3ds circle pad doesn't really bother me that much unless I'm gaming in a marathon and then my thumb starts to hurt, but its better than the psp's joystick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eo3Bh06drc