Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
worldofgoobank582.jpg

"GameDaily BIZ has learned that family-friendly publisher, Brighter Minds, filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy on January 28. Chapter 11 bankruptcy allows the publisher to remain in control of its business as it makes organizational changes, unlike chapter 7, which would mean a complete liquidation of its assets. In July 2008, Brighter Minds launched its own online games portal, BeanstalkGames.com.

Recently the Ohio-based company published the critically acclaimed and award-winning World of Goo from developer 2D Boy. Winner of the IGF award for Design Innovation and Technical Excellence, World of Goo recently made NPD Top 10 sales list for the week ending January 17. The NPD listing was a surprise, considering World of Goo designer Ron Carmel revealed the game to have staggering 90% piracy rate in November. Those damn dirty pirates!"

Source

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The publisher in question only had rights to sell the PC/Mac versions, 2DBoy released it independently on WiiWare themselves and that version is the one that sold well.

Brighter Minds released a lot of childrens games that would have been considered as "shovelware". They also did some Mystery Case Files, some may know that Nintendo published a MCF game (a all new one) on the DS.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
gaboumafou said:
I now feel really bad for pirating that game... :S

Same here, I loved the game, but I didn't want to buy it when you've got it already for free...

And I don't think 90% of the users is illegal, piracy on the Wii isn't that big yet.

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Oh.. just the publisher.. phew, thought it was 2Dboy when i first read it (how would that be possible with all the gains, just spread over 3 or so people..)
They can make it without that publisher i presume, at least for WiiWare and such, if not they could always find another publisher, i mean it can't be THAT hard after their success with World of Goo.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Hadrian Uranium said:
The publisher in question only had rights to sell the PC/Mac versions, 2DBoy released it independently on WiiWare themselves and that version is the one that sold well.

Brighter Minds released a lot of childrens games that would have been considered as "shovelware". They also did some Mystery Case Files, some may know that Nintendo published a MCF game (a all new one) on the DS.

Really? That's odd cause those games were selling pretty well..

Well, that's pretty sad, news like that are never good :/

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
Trophies
XP
Country
now we may not get a DS version or even a sequel... nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

kallekall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's kind of ironic, because I wanted to buy that game, but I can't, because the Wii wanted to update, (we al know why) and I didn't.

gibberish

Trophies
XP
Country
kallekall said:
It's kind of ironic, because I wanted to buy that game, but I can't, because the Wii wanted to update, (we al know why) and I didn't.

same here, i couldnt get into the shop without updating and i didnt want to for obvious reasons. so i downloaded the wad instead :shrug:

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WII_ND_DS_USER_997 said:
now we may not get a DS version or even a sequel... nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
*sighs*

As I said the publisher only had the rights to release PC/Mac versions, 2D Boy published the WiiWare games independently. They also said that there wasn't gonna be a Wii sequel anyway.

As for a possible DS version, I'm pretty sure that the WiiWare sales are good enough for a publisher to want to pick this game up, that is if 2D Boy are interested.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1