Hacking Wood R4 vs YSMenu

Wood R4 or YSMenu, which is better?

• Wood R4, the shiny new firmware!

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • YSMenu, the classic is still the best!

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I'm a loser who still uses the original R4 firmware

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

Exbaddude

The Prince.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Inunah said:
Exbaddude said:
Inunah said:
Everyone says YSMenu has better compatibility in the long run...
But.... Listen. Name 25 games that haven't yet been fixed in YSmenu (as of when this was posted) but worked in Wood R4 from the start....

Starting from the 4500s, I'd say CASE CLOSED.

Suck it, YSMenu users. You can't play games labeled DSi!
yaynds.gif
^ This is a WIN post. ^^
Yeah, but prepare for the YSMenu and Original Firmware ver 1.18 fanboys! *Gets behind blockade while wearing a football helmet and a suit of armor*
I don't get why they love the old firmwares so much?

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Infinite Zero said:
Preferrably they are fanboys of YSMenu
Accept it. Wood firmware is much better and bery easy to install on the R4. Stop being a hardcore fan. I used YSMenu before hand. But Wood is the real deal
Yeah... But i'm thinking of ditching Wood R4 and trying to modify the SCDS2 firmware for R4, just because I go with the firmware that gets updates to fix the games I need.

I mean, if it doesn't get the updates first, then why should I even have it?

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inunah said:
Infinite Zero said:
Accept it. Wood firmware is much better and bery easy to install on the R4. Stop being a hardcore fan. I used YSMenu before hand. But Wood is the real deal
Yeah... But i'm thinking of ditching Wood R4 and trying to modify the SCDS2 firmware for R4, just because I go with the firmware that gets updates to fix the games I need.

hah your funny. SCDS2 firmware uses the hardware on the flashcart. like the R4 is gonna be able to use it.

and if you can't even create simple cheat codes, how are you going to even modify anything?

it's the true fact.

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
basher11 said:
Inunah said:
Infinite Zero said:

hah your funny. SCDS2 firmware uses the hardware on the flashcart. like the R4 is gonna be able to use it.

and if you can't even create simple cheat codes, how are you going to even modify anything?

it's the true fact.
Why shouldn't I try it? If we can't get a simple fix that could be created in like ten minutes, then it's not worth it to keep a firmware that doesn't fix it.

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inunah said:
basher11 said:
Inunah said:
Infinite Zero said:

it's the true fact.
Why shouldn't I try it? If we can't get a simple fix that could be created in like ten minutes, then it's not worth it to keep a firmware that doesn't fix it.

then get yourself a SCDS2. and don't reply back saying "i gotz no $, im 2 young"

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Inunah said:
"Simple fix" is a human term and must not be applied to anything. Nothing in life has a simple fix, and all things you can possibly think of would take longer than ten minutes (not even cup noodles). Thus by your reasoning, there is no use living if there isn't a life that is perfect already. I would say to be grateful for woodR4, since that is probably the best the R4 will ever have for the rest of its blackened stay in purgatory.

gimmegmailemail

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wood R4 > YSMenu for the average user.

I'm not quite sure if I was using YSMenu correctly, but it was a .nds file in my MicroSD directory. So then the process was:
Turn on DS>Pick Loader>Scroll Down and Select YSMenu.nds

Wood R4 however, I just boot up my DS and I'm there!

Just the fact that I, the user, am unsure if I am using YSMenu correctly says a lot about its usability. Call me an idiot or whatever, but firmware should not have to be loaded if I am already running another firmware after I boot up.

Now people are arguing about ROM compatibility. I have not really played my DS for almost two years, so I've been stuck with the 1.18 firmware til I wanted to play Pokemon HeartGold. Only then did I find out that new games needed patches as a result of Nintendo trying to combat piracy. It was a hassle getting Pokemon HeartGold to work with YSMenu. A week ago, I find out about Wood R4. I install, and I love how it looks! It's much more pleasant on the eyes than the old R4 GUI, which YSMenu looks similar to. And I download a few new games: Bowser's Inside Story and Sonic and Sega All Star Racing. Both were clean roms, and both ran without patching with the Wood R4 firmware. I'm not very knowledgeable with the inner-workings of both firmwares, but all it took for Wood R4 to run roms smoothly for me was to place the Wood R4 files in my MicroSD card. I can't say the same for YSMenu.

If you love YSMenu, great! I have no problems with that. But for me, a user who just wants an easy-to-use GUI, along with a more streamlined process of going from clean rom to flash cart experience, Wood R4 hands down.

Setzergabbini

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wood R.P.G. firmware is better. The skins are plentiful, the GUI is superior to Ys' Menu and the ability to connect to Wi-Fi is critical for some games.

Thanatos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was using the 1.18 R4 firmware i tried YSMenu but i didnt like it so i kept with the stock that was until i tried Wood this last weekend, wow i love it im using it from now on. Roms load hella fast lots of options. I like making my own custom skin and that took a bit of trial and error but i got something that looks nice on it so im happy.

Teraku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I like YSMenu best. I don't understand how anyone could pick looks over compatibility and speed.

Besides, YSMenu has a ton of skins out there, especially if you know how to use custom R4 skins for YSMenu. In fact, I have an awesome looking YSMenu skin right now. But I can't take a picture of how it looks on the Nintendo DS, I don't have a camera.

And YSMenu can connect to Wi-Fi and Wii and other DS consoles just fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Some sort of download management app