Wood R4 Trimmer

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by raiderscrusade, Apr 19, 2010.

Apr 19, 2010

Wood R4 Trimmer by raiderscrusade at 5:32 AM (2,571 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. raiderscrusade
    OP

Member raiderscrusade GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Hey!

Well, I have never trimmed my NDS ROMs but I have noticed that Wood R4 comes with a built in trimmer.

Basically, I'm wondering if the trimmer actually works, and how it works.

Thanks!

2. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I find NDS Tokyo Trim does a suberb job. It's very quick, protects wi-fi content and is very simple to use. Can't see the need to try anything else, as there's not much else to the process.

3. itzzjason

Newcomer itzzjason Member

United States
    is there a guide on how to use tokyo trimmer? i downloaded it and tried using it but didn't work for me. looked simple to use too as all the labels were there

4. fearofshorts

Member fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I think that both trimmers would work fine.
    As to how they work- IIRC the work by cutting off the blank parts of the rom.
    These blank parts exist because the games companies can only get carts with specific amounts of storage- 32Mbit, 64Mbit,128Mbit etc., so they end up not using all of the space.

5. kineticUk

Member kineticUk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Yeah the trimmer built into Wood is great.
    Does the job basically.. should be fine with WiFi games too.

6. Hotzdevil

Member Hotzdevil GBAtemp Fan

India
    there's one called tiny trimmer,(i personally use them and its super fast and awesome).. forgot the link to the thread where i got it..

7. Dark^'^Knigh

Australia
    It's relatively basic, but I'll have a shot at helping [​IMG] ....who knows, I might even gain some karma points on here (god knows I need 'em).

Warning: Spoilers inside!

8. Stropdasje

Member Stropdasje GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Nice comments to "How does the Wood R4 trimmer works". One replier starts to advertise a completely different trimmer even with detailed pictures. An other replier starts to explain "How it works" in technical terms, i.e. what it does. A third person replies to "How it works" with "Yeah the trimmer built into Wood is great". The strange thing is that nobody answered the question how to use it, how do you put the Wood R4 trimmer in action.

That is something I would like to know and I think that's what the topic starter wanted too. The answer could be added to the FAQ as well. So, how does one run the Wood R4 trimmer, thus get the trimmer to actually trim a file.

I myself use the trimmer supplied with my R4 (the second one I bought a few years ago), that is the 2.0 version. The 1.0 version (which was supplied with my first R4 even longer back) broke Wifi because it could trim files to odd lengths, the length should be an even amount of bytes.

I would never use the Tokyo trimmer. Only the fact that the author had the idea to ask for a paypal donation for an extremely simple and trivial program completely ticks me off. Of course it is his choice, but I am not going to pay for a "Hello World!" level program. Donating to Wood R4 would be fair, but this?...

9. flamingo24

Member flamingo24 GBAtemp Regular

lolz, if you want to use the trimmer built into Wood, first enable trim and then use the file management copy and paste. It will only trim if you copy the files using the native Wood file management.

10. raiderscrusade
    OP

Member raiderscrusade GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    @flamingo24

So with the Wood R4 built in Trimmer, you must trim the Roms using Copy and Paste in the Wood Start Menu, and there is no other way to do it, IE Drag onto microSD?

11. flamingo24

Member flamingo24 GBAtemp Regular

No

12. Dark^'^Knigh

Australia
    "One replier starts to advertise a completely different trimmer even with detailed pictures" You may want to choose your words more carefully. I hardly think answering another member's question regarding a tut on NDSTokyoTrim qualifies for advertising! The only thing the member I responded to and I are guilty of is 'hijacking" OP's topic [​IMG] Is the information I posted useful to anyone...hmmm, [​IMG] maybe.
    I could've checked out the trimmer supplied with Wood R4 and given a more elaborate response to OP, but so could have OP...and even more importantly, your good self. After all, these things don't require any sort of technical/mastermind knowledge.

"I would never use the Tokyo trimmer. Only the fact that the author had the idea to ask for a paypal donation for an extremely simple and trivial program completely ticks me off"Don't forget that all of these trimmers are free (inc. NDSTokyoTrim), products of private software development (of which I have no association with). Donations are simply that - donations. Anyone is free to use it with full capabilities. So why sook about someone putting out there hand for some $?

"Donating to Wood R4 would be fair, but this?" I'd love to hear the logic behind this comment/question. I guess you've "drawn a cost value line" at some point with trimmer software development?

13. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    That made me laugh. You may as well go back to your normal style of posts lol.

As for Stropdasje, if that's advertising then you may as well delete half the threads on this forum. The OP stated they have never trimmed their ROMS before, so may not have been aware there were other tools which could trim them. It's going to be easier and quicker to trim them on a PC than it is from within Wood R4.

14. Dark^'^Knigh

Australia
    It's the new me [​IMG] I'm going to Church, ironing my underpants, saying hello to passing strangers in the street, cleaning up other people's dog poo in the park, all that sort of crap........
    I can't go back. If you only knew why my warns have accumulated (especially the latest), you'd fall off your chair in a fit of laughter. Especially given the amount of profanities spread over this board, the flaming, the rom site linking, etc that seem to go uncensored and without any form of discipline.
    Such is life. I'll pay my dues and hopefully one day they'll see clear to wiping my slate clean.

15. gameguy95

Banned gameguy95 Needs More Furries!

United States
    If it is so basic, why don't you make a better one dipshit?