Hacking Wood R4 3in1+ Patch

Please explain any issues you have

• Loading .gba games works fine (NDS Browser issues are a known issue not covered by this poll atm)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I can load gba games, but I lose my saves (BE SURE YOUR GAME HAS BEEN PROPERLY PATCHED BEFORE REPORT

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I can load gba games, but you broke something that works in the official version (compare this again

• No, my 3in1 is not detected at all WHEN I TRY TO LOAD GBA ROMS (but it is detected by gbaexploader)

• Total voters

qwertymodo

OP
Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Also, to the two people who voted that the 3in1 was not detected at all, can you please specify whether or not you mean for the NDS Browser? That vote was meant to be taken as not recognized by Wood R4 when attempting to load a .gba rom, the browser is a totally separate issue because it involves patching the browser rom itself (either hardpatching the rom or using codes or other means of patching it on-the-fly). To clear this up, if the NDS browser is your only issue, please vote for the FIRST option, as the "not recognized" option refers to gba game loading.

qwertymodo

OP
Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I managed to compile my patch against v1.11. I'll upload it once I get my g/f to test it on hers to at least confirm it works.

Edit: Ok, got a confirmation. v1.11 mod uploaded and links added to the OP.
smile.gif

qwertymodo

OP
Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually, once I figured out how to get everything set up it's really easy to update. I'm asking around in the EZ Flash forums and IRC to see if I can get the browser working, then I'll get this to Y.W.G.
smile.gif

qwertymodo

OP
Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
The good news is I think I might be able to get the NDS browser working with the 3in1+. The bad news is there's something screwy with compiling the latest version (v1.11) which makes all NDS games whitescreen (apparently .gba games load fine...). This has nothing to do with my patch code as my patch only touches expansion card handling, nothing in the core loading functionality. The changelog did mention changes related to which devkitARM version was used to compile so I'm guessing that has something to do with it (although I'm pretty sure I'm on the right version...). I'll post up a v1.11 test2 with the (theoretical) NDS browser patch if I can figure this out...

qwertymodo

OP
Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
For now, if you're actually wanting to use this for .gba and .nds roms please revert to v1.10. Also, I believe that the NDS Browser patch found here may work with the 3in1+ (however, it may not work because the Wood R4 firmware also applies a hotpatch at runtime and the two patches may interfere with one another). So please give that a try.

qwertymodo

OP
Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
I just tried building v1.10 with my patch on my laptop and I'm still getting the whitescreen issues, so I think it's a problem with the toolchain on my laptop
frown.gif
...so I'm taking down the v1.11 link until I get my desktop up and running again.

qwertymodo

OP
Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so yes it was my toolchain, got my desktop back up and running from a system image backup and we're back in business (no more NDS rom whitescreen issues
smile.gif
). So, good news on the NDS Browser front. If your browser ROM is patched using this patch, the browser should work, but for now, it has to be patched if you're using a 3in1+ (no idea how this may affect the browser patch for the 3in1v1's that are officially supported...). I'm downgrading to v1.10 for now since that's the source I had on my desktop, but I'm going to try to get the hotpatch working on clean ROMs (still one more thing to try... and it may enable more than just the 3in1 for the Browser patch
biggrin.gif
) and then update to v1.11 again. So, please try out the new v1.10 test2 and let me know how it's working for you. 1 step closer to finishing this patch...

aNILEator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
sounds real good qwerty, Now i've graduated uni i suddenly find myself with lots more downtime, and have discovered my ds and psp as well as steam account again

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
Just grabbed it now, seems to work fine with my 3in1+(3in1pls)
It recognized the Slot 2 Device at least and ran what was in Nor from Wood R4 fine.

Loaded both Golden Sun's up fine, however it doesn't seem to recognise the saves my Acekard(AKAIO) gave me natively(.gba.sav), and then changing it to .sav didn't seem to work either.
Nothing wrong with the saves as GBAexploader loaded them fine.

Was using the (Wood R4 v.1.10 3in1+ Test 2)

Anywhoes as long as it gets updated to match the newest Wood I'll be sure to be using it all the time, if not I'll just have to use a separate SD card
smile.gif

Also anychance you could have the GBA screen full size instead of having the border ?

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
EJames2100 said:
Also anychance you could have the GBA screen full size instead of having the border ?
the gba output is shown "as is", in its original resolution 240x160
to fill the nds screen, one has to scale it up to 256x192
i wouldn't want that (and i'm not really sure if thats even possible)

but maybe just remove the border / make it black

qwertymodo

OP
Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not really interested in changing how the games act once they're loaded (i.e. borders, etc.). All I'm really concerned with at the moment is Slot-2 compatibility. The one last thing I'm trying to fix at the moment is the NDS browser and if I can figure that out, I'll be submitting the patch to ywg. I am one step away from getting it to work. Currently, it runs fine if the ROM is patched, but if it's a clean ROM it freezes. This means I'm really close to getting it working because before, it didn't recognize the 3in1+ at all. Now it recognizes it and starts up but something causes it to freeze. Somebody over in the EZ-Flash IRC channel did some pretty extensive testing for me (he owns all 3 versions of the 3in1), and the results were looking promising, other than the fact that I ran into some showstopping bugs when I compiled v1.11 (most likely related to my toolchain), which means unfortunately, for now I won't be re-releasing v1.11 unless I get a lot more time to test it out first because it would be really stupid of me to try to update if it's just going to introduce new bugs (don't worry, if the problem is what I think it is, it has nothing to do with the patch, and won't be a problem with the official releases once I submit the patch to ywg...). I'm going to play around with the browser patch some more tonight, and if I can't get it to work, at the very least it DOES work with the patched ROM now, so I may have to settle for that.

N4RU70 FR34K

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are a god
bow.gif
I got a brand new R4 today for playing gba games and I was so angry my ez flash 3in1+ didn't work with it, then I stumbled in this topic thank you so much now I'm playing minish cap
gbasp2.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mrgone said:
EJames2100 said:
the gba output is shown "as is", in its original resolution 240x160
to fill the nds screen, one has to scale it up to 256x192
i wouldn't want that (and i'm not really sure if thats even possible)

but maybe just remove the border / make it black
It's not possible since 240x160 doesn't scale to 256x192.

If you scale it to height, you'd get 288x192, clipping the edges of the screen.
(16 x 10 = 160, 16 x 12 = 192)

If you scale it by width, you'd get 240x160, there is no change.
(24 x 10 = 240, 24 x 11 = 264 which is too big)

qwertymodo

OP
Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
I finally got a DS of my own
biggrin.gif

My gf is letting me borrow her R4/3in1+ for the time being so I'll be able to test myself and post my own test results to the OP. ATM this is about 80-90% done, still trying to get the clean browser ROM working (I got the hardpatched ROM running fine at least
biggrin.gif
so that's a start)

qwertymodo

OP
Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Random status update (though no code update). Just now found the rumble setting in the firmware and I can confirm rumble works with MP:P clean ROM on my 3in1+ running test3.
biggrin.gif

Come on guys, post some test results for v1 and v2 carts and I'll get this patch submitted.

qwertymodo

OP
Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
...huh... ok so another odd update. I've checked a little closer on the commit date on the current rev of WoodRPG on the googlecode page and it seems that the code I'm using may actually be v1.8 or v1.9. There haven't been any source updates since June, despite having at least 2 new releases since then
frown.gif
I'm not sure how to get ahold of the latest source atm, but I would like to eventually...

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
Ahh some more Feedback.

I lent my 3in1+ out to someone with an R4 and loaded the V2 Patch onto it.
They have only played Golden Sun on it so far but has reported it loads and saves perfectly and has no troubles with it
smile.gif

Have you considered asking for it on the Google Code page ? and including a link to this thread might persuade YWG

qwertymodo

OP
Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Yellow Wood Goblin has already expressed interest in this patch and it will likely make it into the official build once I can work out the NDS Browser patching. Also, the source available on the googlecode page is not current (in fact, the version I keep calling v1.10 may actually be v1.9, I don't really know which svn rev corresponds to which release version) so I can't update the patched version at all.

Thankfully Normatt has chimed in to help out with the browser patch, so I'm hoping to get it working soon
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1