hpark21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DID YOU EVEN READ THE THREAD?!?!?!?!?
Of course I read the thread.
It does look like bootmii is on boot 2. However, I did not see anywhere he was able to sync his wiimote. He never got to the hack mii screen to press 1. So I was wondering. He says he can get to dump the nand. Then dump the nand and use the key file (since we are suspecting his nand is bad, just use the key file) to regenerate a fresh nand using ohneschwanzenegger. If that does not work, then first thing I would try is to replace bt module as I was able to fix my blackscreen of death by replacing bt module. However, I was able to get to mmm and other tools using gc controller.

Reactions: Hielkenator

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It does look like bootmii is on boot 2. However, I did not see anywhere he was able to sync his wiimote. He never got to the hack mii screen to press 1. So I was wondering. He says he can get to dump the nand. Then dump the nand and use the key file (since we are suspecting his nand is bad, just use the key file) to regenerate a fresh nand using ohneschwanzenegger. If that does not work, then first thing I would try is to replace bt module as I was able to fix my blackscreen of death by replacing bt module. However, I was able to get to mmm and other tools using gc controller.

Post #52 of this thread already gave him instructions on how to use ohneschwanzenegger.The original poster hasn't replied back yet with the results though.

Reactions: Hielkenator

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Post #52 of this thread already gave him instructions on how to use ohneschwanzenegger.The original poster hasn't replied back yet with the results though.

I PM'd the op.
He did not respond yet.
Hopefully his problem is fixed.

The only way to fix this is using ohneschwanzenegger.
Unless he has a hardware malfunction,

mrhomiec

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry for the absence, long weekend.

in regard to the Wii remotes. i can turn on the Wii with them. but afterwards, they stop working. i have to use a GameCube controller or the Power/Reset buttons.

i tried to use ohneschwanzenegger back on page 1, but i couldn't get the program to work. when i got to the part to select my current "nand.bin" file i got the error: "Nand object Error: entry is above 0x17ff mmmmkay [ 0xffef ] Error creating new content.map"

now i'm following these instructions:
Use this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3lu6wwq77wum32d/GiantPuneTools.zip

Windows application.
Usage is included in the html and txt files.
( Cannot express how much value Giantpune works has had for me, awesome, awesome job! )

and i'm getting the same nand error when i'm following the "Hot To.txt" file. (i also made a new backup this time around)

hpark21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry for the absence, long weekend.

in regard to the Wii remotes. i can turn on the Wii with them. but afterwards, they stop working. i have to use a GameCube controller or the Power/Reset buttons.

i tried to use ohneschwanzenegger back on page 1, but i couldn't get the program to work. when i got to the part to select my current "nand.bin" file i got the error: "Nand object Error: entry is above 0x17ff mmmmkay [ 0xffef ] Error creating new content.map"

now i'm following these instructions:

and i'm getting the same nand error when i'm following the "Hot To.txt" file. (i also made a new backup this time around)
So, you are getting error while in windows correct? Not when you are trying to write the nand?

You do not select your bad nand.bin file when you generate new nand. Just select your nand.key file. And generate your nand.bin from scratch I believe. I can not quite remember the process. I will take a look tomorrow.

mrhomiec

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was following these instructions...
1) start this program

2) click the "local cache" button and select a location with decent read/write speeds and (up to) 1GB of free space
3) MAKE A COPY of your nand.bin ( keep the original in a safe place )
3) click "search" in this program and select THE COPY of your nand.bin

4) click content->format and format this nand.bin

...then on step 4, Content is greyed out and unclickable.

and back on page one, i was following these instructions (which are pretty close)...
1. Download ohneswanzenegger and extract contents to easy accessible location (such as your desktop).

2. Make a new folder on your desktop (e.g. C:\Users\streamlinehd\Desktop\nand) and inside that folder make another new folder for your copy (e.g. C:\Users\streamlinehd\nand\copy\).

3. Put your current nand backup and keys (nand.bin, keys.bin) in the nand folder and make a copy of each in the copy folder (do not touch this copy as you will need it in the event something goes wrong).

4. Open ohneswanzenegger and follow these steps:

a. Click the local cache button and set the working location to somewhere on your local HDD with at least 1GB of space.
b. Click the search button and navigate to the folder containing your nand.bin and choose to open it. You should now see the set path appear in the output window (e.g. Set path to nand as C:/Users/Streamlinehd/Desktop/nand/nand.bin).
c. Click content -> Format and let the format process complete.
d. Install your desired system menu and all stock IOS/Channels by typing the system menu version and region in the search bar (e.g. 4.1u, 4.1j, 4.1e, etc.) and hitting the get it button. I recommend installing system menu 4.1 for your region however you can choose the system menu you like.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can you upload your nand anywhere?

Maybe its something with your computer configuration that's causing those apps to error out.

Worth a shot i guess.

hpark21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was following these instructions...

...then on step 4, Content is greyed out and unclickable.

and back on page one, i was following these instructions (which are pretty close)...

The way I do it (I was wrong, you do need your old nand.bin):
from menu: Nand Dump -> New Nand
Press existing nand then choose your nand.bin
then press keys then choose your key.bin
then press OK, this will create new testnand.bin in current folder (if you did not change anything)
Then, at the top left folder, just type 4.1u (or other version you would prefer, I was told 4.1u is best but who knows), then press Get it button.
That is it.

good luck.

Reactions: mrhomiec

mrhomiec

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way I do it (I was wrong, you do need your old nand.bin):
from menu: Nand Dump -> New Nand
Press existing nand then choose your nand.bin
then press keys then choose your key.bin
then press OK, this will create new testnand.bin in current folder (if you did not change anything)
Then, at the top left folder, just type 4.1u (or other version you would prefer, I was told 4.1u is best but who knows), then press Get it button.
That is it.

good luck.

cool. i did it this way. and no errors.

i got a prompt about a "settings.txt" file created, but i don't see it saved anywhere. was it just included into the "testnand.bin" file?

but so i just change this file to "nand.bin", put it to the root of my SD card, and restore from BootMii?

hpark21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cool. i did it this way. and no errors.

i got a prompt about a "settings.txt" file created, but i don't see it saved anywhere. was it just included into the "testnand.bin" file?

but so i just change this file to "nand.bin", put it to the root of my SD card, and restore from BootMii?

Correct, use bootmii to "restore" the nand.

I was going to say that in settings.txt file popup, it displays your model # of the machine and serial # which it picked up from your old nand/key. confirm that they are correct (they should be since it is your nand).

Also, after this is done, you will want to re-hack your wii since all those custom cios/wads are no longer present (after verifying that your wii boots), except your bootmii in boot2.

EDIT: Don't forget to put your old key.bin file with this new nand.bin file in your sdcard to restore.

Reactions: mrhomiec

mrhomiec

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to say that in settings.txt file popup, it displays your model # of the machine and serial # which it picked up from your old nand/key. confirm that they are correct (they should be since it is your nand).
since you mentioned this, i followed your steps again, but this time i decided to make sure they match.

and they do not. the "Setting.txt" popup displays my serial number as 9-digits, and starts with a '6'.
whereas on the bottom of the Wii, it starts with a '1', but still a 9-digit number.

all the other fields looked correct. should i modify this field to match what it says on the label?
or should i trust that the serial number is correct and leave it alone?

EDIT: decided to manually input the serial number that is on the bottom of the Wii. i put the new nand.bin file onto my SD Card and started up BootMii. i received a few "WARNING: skipping bad block" errors at first, but then i got the "Simulation successful. Will erase 261184 pages (4081 blocks) Will write 57104 pages. Press START (Eject) to start the real restore, or any other button to exit"
as of right now (9:26), "RestoreMii started... DO NOT POWER OFF." how long should this take?

UPDATE: SUCCESS!

so what's the best method to re-softmod? it's been so long since i originally did it. i think i used the Twilight Princess method back then.

hpark21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since you mentioned this, i followed your steps again, but this time i decided to make sure they match.

and they do not. the "Setting.txt" popup displays my serial number as 9-digits, and starts with a '6'.
whereas on the bottom of the Wii, it starts with a '1', but still a 9-digit number.

all the other fields looked correct. should i modify this field to match what it says on the label?
or should i trust that the serial number is correct and leave it alone?

EDIT: decided to manually input the serial number that is on the bottom of the Wii. i put the new nand.bin file onto my SD Card and started up BootMii. i received a few "WARNING: skipping bad block" errors at first, but then i got the "Simulation successful. Will erase 261184 pages (4081 blocks) Will write 57104 pages. Press START (Eject) to start the real restore, or any other button to exit"
as of right now (9:26), "RestoreMii started... DO NOT POWER OFF." how long should this take?

UPDATE: SUCCESS!

so what's the best method to re-softmod? it's been so long since i originally did it. i think i used the Twilight Princess method back then.

Actually, since you have bootmii in boot2, there is no need for exploit to be used.

Just use ModMii to get all the wads and cios and use mmm to put all the changes in.

That said, did you CONFIRM that your wii now boots up fine? Make sure of it to confirm that it was indeed corrupt nand and not any hardware issue.

once you confirm that your wii boots up fine, then you can go ahead and use bootmii to update your boot 2 as well as HBC and all other tools.

Good luck.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just use the newest hackmii installer running it from bootmii that will install the latest version of bootmii and the homebrew channel, The first time you hacked your wii you needed an exploit to run code on the cpu not signed by nintendo ex. Twilight hack, Now that you have bootmii installed as boot2 you have full control over what happens including running unsigned code without the use of the homebrew channel

mrhomiec

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That said, did you CONFIRM that your wii now boots up fine? Make sure of it to confirm that it was indeed corrupt nand and not any hardware issue.

once you confirm that your wii boots up fine, then you can go ahead and use bootmii to update your boot 2 as well as HBC and all other tools.

yes, after the restore finished, i used the BootMii menu, and selected the Wii icon. from there, i had to set language, sensor bar location, time, and date. afterwards i saw the Wii menu. :)

i figured the first thing i would do, would be to update BootMii. i'll give ModMii a try.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.