Homebrew with all these slot 1 solutions coming

jono_

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
so slot 1 has no GBA support, why not make a GBA emulator for the DS.

Some featurs may include:
- A menu for switching between roms etc. on the touch screen.
- Speed control, for pokemon and stuff.
- (insert more here)

so whos gonna be the hero and make one?

chillyp

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not 100% with regards to the DS hardware, but from what I've seen it uses the ARM7 processor which is used in the GBA hardware in both NDS mode and GBA mode. I'm not completely sure if the memory addresses and registers are fully backwards compatible, but it may just be a simple case of a loader or file patching to allow saving to the slot. In the GBA it was impossible to use the GB hardware because of a switch in the game slot.

The main stumbling block will be the relatively slow speed of Slot 1, which is significantly slower than Slot 2. DS software is written to accomodate this slower speed, but GBA games will either crash or just have horrible slowdown.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
making a gba emulator for the DS makes about as much sense as putting a rubber vagina between a woman's breasts.

Heinrisch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
making a gba emulator for the DS makes about as much sense as putting a rubber vagina between a woman's breasts.
I never heard about such a thing. However, I guess that if you have two breast to put it between its better than playing with it by itself. So a GBA emulator should be made?
wink.gif

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I never heard about such a thing. However, I guess that if you have two breast to put it between its better than playing with it by itself. So a GBA emulator should be made?
wink.gif

if you have two breasts to put it between, that means there's a real vagina about 18 inches away. God I can't believe I had to explain that.

lurker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not possible, DS only has 4mb RAM. (GBA uses the GBA cart as RAM, that's why there are no loading times - like the 64).

ultrablade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ROTFLMAO @ Hanafuda

But yeah, its pointless in my opinion, i mean not like you're going to be staring into the slot 1 all the time and it'll throw out money or something like that, but slot 2 is better, gba games in all.

think about it, what's the whole thing about slot-1 cards? espically ds-extreme... no gba... 512mb... high price... honestly the only good thing i can say about the ds-x is the menu... it looks user friendly.

ultrablade

Vidikron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ROTFLMAO @ Hanafuda

But yeah, its pointless in my opinion, i mean not like you're going to be staring into the slot 1 all the time and it'll throw out money or something like that, but slot 2 is better, gba games in all.

think about it, what's the whole thing about slot-1 cards? espically ds-extreme... no gba... 512mb... high price... honestly the only good thing i can say about the ds-x is the menu... it looks user friendly.

ultrablade

I wouldn't say pointless. With slot 1 devices you are free to use the rumble cartridge and RAM expansion. I may pick one up at some point to go with my M3 Lite.

ultrablade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But then again, the supercard rumble can do that, and it's GBA slot. But it can't play GBA games... lol...

ultrablade

KINGOFNOOBS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually a GBA emulator could be easily made. You wouldnt even have to emulate anything relaly. I mean the ARM 7 Processor is there. You just need to make a program that uses it and plays GBA games
sleep.gif

kobewan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually a GBA emulator could be easily made. You wouldnt even have to emulate anything relaly. I mean the ARM 7 Processor is there. You just need to make a program that uses it and plays GBA games
sleep.gif

But it comes back to the other technical issues, which are that the DS slot is much slower than the GBA slot and that the RAM can be a constraint. I think that it has already been decided that its impossible to make a full speed GBA emulator for Slot-1 --- you will end up with horrible lag.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Just get a GBA flashcard rather than propose other people do tough useless technical work for you.
Jesus, there weren't anywhere near this many topics like this when I joined GBAtemp. I'm sure it's just a fad though (I hope).
frown.gif

lurker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
sleep.gif
See, I named this account lurker since I wasn't expecting to actually post, but guys like these...

Seriously, as said before, the DS slot is way too slow, and loading into the DS's RAM is impossible since GBA roms can be ~32MB and the DS has a lot less than 4MB usable due to the emulator itself being loaded into the RAM.

Unless you were some uber coder from the year 3000 who can compress a 32MB file to ~2MB, & decompress it on the fly, as well as optimize it enough so it will work fast enough on the ARM9 chip, then reroute the code to the ARM7, then you can't do it. You won't end up with horrible lag, it just wouldn't work.

It's much easier to buy a GBA flash cart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: One gram of felony? +1