ROM Hack [WIP] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux Restoration Mod

AlternativeZero

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
swwmaop.png

A few months back I attempted a small mod of SJR to make it look more in-line with the original art direction, it had mixed results and I shelved it for a while until the game was localized as I ran into a brick wall because I couldn't make it look the way I wanted it to, since then the game was localized and I was able to see how things were in-game as I was playing and I thought I give it another shot with continual feedback from the folks over at FTI along the way.

The goal was to do minor modifications to make it closer resemble the original but still retain as much of the new artwork as possible out of respect to the new designs, there were many inconsistencies with the new designs as sprites and portraits were off-color and not matching the original at all to strange design choices that wasn't made in 2013 when SMT4 came out with the original Demonica design intact, this will remedy that.

2018-06-24_22-48-00.977_topa.png

2018-06-24_22-48-00.977_topb.png

2018-06-24_22-48-00.977_top.png

2018-06-24_22-48-00.977_top.png
lBa0a78.png

5CgOmsX.png

M4N5fCV.png
nnpDz4x.png

lrVV99b.png

There have been several additions since this originally released and if the screenshots don't example it good enough, here's a small explanation.

The vanity add-on is simply to change Strange Journey Redux (how is this meant to be pronounced, re-do? re-ducks?) to Deep Strange Journey on the 3DS homescreen banner and in the game but requires building the .cia to get it to appear on the 3DS homescreen, the de-shine version removes the "shine" and lightens the suit color to match the original as closely as possible and the upcoming creator copy version combines the de-shine version alongside slight re-draws made to the female crew members to mimic Kaneko's style that was kept with Zelenin.

⌈DOWNLOADS⌋

Vanity + De-Shine

MEGA

De-Shine
Coming Soon.

v2.0 - Reborn Again
  • De-shine is now the default as it better resembles the original design.
  • Colors are now 1:1 the original.
  • Remade Jimenez's mouth to be slightly smaller to better match his original design.
  • Redone sprite coloring to match original.
  • Ending credits has suit colored accordingly.
  • Vanity add-on is fully complete with all instances of Redux changed to Deep.
  • Cutscenes .moflex are now almost the same size as the original to reduce bloat.
  • Changed suit colors in background CGs.
  • Fixed various coloring issues missed previously.

v1.0a - Vanity Add-On Updated
  • Changed logo in credit sequence.

v1.0 - Vanity Add-On Released
  • Redux is now changed to Deep on the banner and start screen (requires building a .cia).

v1.0 - Initial Release
  • Demonica suit's color restored on bustup, connectchar2d, devbu, stbustup and ending events,
  • Demonica suit's lines restored on bustup, connectchar2d, devbu & stbustup.
  • Jimenez's mouth is made the same size as the original.
  • Restored original sprites.
  • New sprites now match the color of original sprites.

Last edited by AlternativeZero,
Reactions: swosho and DarthDub

AlternativeZero

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I remember you talking about this on Discord! The original was on DS right? Good work!
Yep, the original was on the DS but when the 3DS port was made so many unnecessary changes were done to the game that left it with an inconsistent artstyle such as miss matching sprites and strangely colored portraits which stands out as some of the old portraits are also used.

Reactions: DarthDub

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
Yep, the original was on the DS but when the 3DS port was made so many unnecessary changes were done to the game that left it with an inconsistent artstyle such as miss matching sprites and strangely colored portraits which stands out as some of the old portraits are also used.
I watched you make those edits on FTI. You did great.

AlternativeZero

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I watched you make those edits on FTI. You did great.
Thanks, it's not 100% done yet since there was a request for a de-shine version which I'm currently making and obviously the eyes of the female crew needs to be redrawn to match Zelenin but the bulk of the work is done after weeks of struggling in Photoshop :D.

Reactions: DarthDub

shahanshah

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Could you make an alternate version where you simply use the old portraits for the original crew? I'm thinking the original portraits for the MC, Jimenez, Gore and Zelenin. I'd rather have some clashing artstyles than having to see their god-awful new portraits

Last edited by shahanshah,

gagaty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you make an alternate version where you simply use the old portraits for the original crew? I'm thinking the original portraits for the MC, Jimenez, Gore and Zelenin. I'd rather have some clashing artstyles than having to see their god-awful new portraits

man that sounds great

Reactions: wirelleus
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I might actually buy the game again if this hack existed

that said, it wouldn't be too difficult to modify the OP's existing hack and change out some of the images - I would feel bad though, because they've clearly clearly put a lot of work into this already :/

shahanshah

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

that said, it wouldn't be too difficult to modify the OP's existing hack and change out some of the images - I would feel bad though, because they've clearly clearly put a lot of work into this already :/

Oh no, it doesn't take away from the modder at all. If you know how to fix the old portraits, I'd be very pleased. Actually, I'd prefer a version more like the original SJ where *only* the original cast + characters like Mastema have portraits, while the other crewmembers, Jack and consequently Alex have no portraits at all since I really despise the new portraits. Not sure if anyone is even interested in doing that, though

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no, it doesn't take away from the modder at all. If you know how to fix the old portraits, I'd be very pleased. Actually, I'd prefer a version more like the original SJ where *only* the original cast + characters like Mastema have portraits, while the other crewmembers, Jack and consequently Alex have no portraits at all since I really despise the new portraits. Not sure if anyone is even interested in doing that, though

I've only played the DS version - did they update the mastema artwork, or just upscale it a bit? Also, no idea who Jack is and I guess Alex is the new character mentioned for the new scenario, but if the he wasn't in the original game, it makes it harder to change - I would have to have a copy of the game to hunt through the files to find the art to replace, whereas OP has already done so for the main cast in his update (this can be really time consuming)

Anyways, I'll download the patch and have a look again - I don't have an image set for the original artwork, and I'm currently working on something else similar for a different game, so it may take me some time to get to.

EDIT: just wanted to also give the OP props for this - the amount of work it took to edit the images is evident to me, and staying motivated while opening all those stex files can be difficult - it's a pretty cool hack, all told

Last edited by one_sloth_wrecking_crew,

shahanshah

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've only played the DS version - did they update the mastema artwork, or just upscale it a bit? Also, no idea who Jack is and I guess Alex is the new character mentioned for the new scenario, but if the he wasn't in the original game, it makes it harder to change - I would have to have a copy of the game to hunt through the files to find the art to replace, whereas OP has already done so for the main cast in his update (this can be really time consuming)

Anyways, I'll download the patch and have a look again - I don't have an image set for the original artwork, and I'm currently working on something else similar for a different game, so it may take me some time to get to.

EDIT: just wanted to also give the OP props for this - the amount of work it took to edit the images is evident to me, and staying motivated while opening all those stex files can be difficult - it's a pretty cool hack, all told
If you played the original and don't know who Captain Jack is, then you should play it again

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4