Homebrew [WIP] SafeSysUpdater

bushwick2002

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any reason why you didnt use menuhax? Keep seeing it has the highest success rate for downgrade.

To install menuhax on a New 3DS with 10.3FW, I would need to use OOT hax to install it. I just seem like an extra step to take since OOT hax can also boot safesysupdater but if that's the reason why my downgrades been failing; I'll start using menuhax for my next downgrade.

Mulder_RLZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
To install menuhax on a New 3DS with 10.3FW, I would need to use OOT hax to install it. I just seem like an extra step to take since OOT hax can also boot safesysupdater but if that's the reason why my downgrades been failing; I'll start using menuhax for my next downgrade.

if you have the update nag on 10.3 when opening the browser, there is a way of go around it using Tubehax and opening the browser just after the system starts. It should work.

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
there is also this for getting around the update nag for the browser
  1. Goto System Settings. Then change the datetime to January 1, 2000, 00:00.
  2. Use the browser 'Initialize savedata' option, before any page gets loaded triggering the browser-version message.
  3. Continue to use browserhax as normal.
  4. Note that you must not press the HOME button to return from the browser normally, otherwise you will have to reinitialize the savedata again. Once the datetime reaches January 2, you will have to repeat these steps if you want to continue using this bypass.

Robert McCoy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it just me or is the safesysupdater v9 giving more issues than v8?

Also:
Can anyone link me the v8 version of safesysupdater?

Edit: Can you use safesysupdater to downgrade to 9.0? instead of 9.2? or would it not work since it can't check the md5 of 9.0?

Last edited by Robert McCoy,
D

Deleted User

It's definitely something in the home menu applet. 9.5, 9.9, 10.3, 10.2. Done 4 different units with SafeSys, Juliians etc.
Each one has managed to fail at the exact spot. Most leave a frankenfirmware that can be easily fixed by downgrading again.

My only guess as I stated before is that HBL is hooking the home menu and replacing it causes the system to crash since we're running a 3DSX payload.

Each crashed at 0004003000008F02 (USA Home Menu Applet)

Then again V8 did the same thing, but I do love the layout of 9 so much better.

Last edited by ,

Rhapsody

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Hiya, everyone;

While it might be a bit harder to notice on a forum like this where situations tend to get mixed around, I'm here to talk about a major issue with SafeSysUpdater. I'm a member of the #3dshacks IRC on Rizon. We generally recommend SysUpdater over SafeSysUpdater because of one major issue with SafeSysUpdater; the browser generally fails to function at all after a partial downgrade. This is very consistent (with only one or two cases I can think of where this wasn't the case), and as a result, it destroys a very convenient entrypoint from being usable, making you resort to a game exploit like Cubic Ninja. Obviously, this is a very bad thing. SysUpdater doesn't have this issue, which is why we end up recommending it over SafeSysUpdater.

So what can we do to fix this? First of all, we need to debug the issue. We need to figure out EXACTLY where SafeSysUpdater failed the update process when it partialed that causes this issue. To do that, we need one of two things; A. a video of the partial downgrade that shows what CIA the downgrade failed on, or B. A log of the currently installed CIAs and it's versions (which can be obtained through SafeSysUpdater itself by pressing X instead of starting the downgrade). This information will allow us to approximate where the downgrade failed and what we have to do to fix it, making SafeSysUpdater 'safe' enough to recommend usage again. If you want to help out with this, I implore you to read through this paste and get in contact with me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
Hiya, everyone;

While it might be a bit harder to notice on a forum like this where situations tend to get mixed around, I'm here to talk about a major issue with SafeSysUpdater. I'm a member of the #3dshacks IRC on Rizon. We generally recommend SysUpdater over SafeSysUpdater because of one major issue with SafeSysUpdater; the browser generally fails to function at all after a partial downgrade. This is very consistent (with only one or two cases I can think of where this wasn't the case), and as a result, it destroys a very convenient entrypoint from being usable, making you resort to a game exploit like Cubic Ninja. Obviously, this is a very bad thing. SysUpdater doesn't have this issue, which is why we end up recommending it over SafeSysUpdater.

So what can we do to fix this? First of all, we need to debug the issue. We need to figure out EXACTLY where SafeSysUpdater failed the update process when it partialed that causes this issue. To do that, we need one of two things; A. a video of the partial downgrade that shows what CIA the downgrade failed on, or B. A log of the currently installed CIAs and it's versions (which can be obtained through SafeSysUpdater itself by pressing X instead of starting the downgrade). This information will allow us to approximate where the downgrade failed and what we have to do to fix it, making SafeSysUpdater 'safe' enough to recommend usage again. If you want to help out with this, I implore you to read through this paste and get in contact with me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Look back in the thread, there is a log of a dg fail. There is also a work around for getting the browser working again.

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
Got a partial downgrade on n3ds using Safesysupdater, there is no system settings and no browser. any help please? can access recovery mode.

naivegirl2411

Trophies
XP
Country
I had a successful downgrade from 10.3 to 9.2 using safesysupdater. I used oothax which didnt work the first 3 times but when it did get to work it did so without any problems (it even rebooted my 3ds after the downgrade). My 3ds was an o3ds and I used hax 2.6

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
I had a successful downgrade from 10.3 to 9.2 using safesysupdater. I used oothax which didnt work the first 3 times but when it did get to work it did so without any problems (it even rebooted my 3ds after the downgrade). My 3ds was an o3ds and I used hax 2.6
Yeah, I'm thinking of just redowngrading using SafeSysupdater again...

naivegirl2411

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I'm thinking of just redowngrading using SafeSysupdater again...

It wasnt a problem at all. I personally think ninjhax and oothax are better entrypoints for downgrading. I forgot to mention that after I downgraded and ran downgrade checker I had no mismatched titles so it worked really well

Jackasaur

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a problem. This is the second N3DS that I've tried downgrading on and I just can't seem to do it. I'm using Browserhax, what happens is I get MenuHax installed through BrowserHax, ran SafeSystemUpdater, verified that the CIAs from my 9.2 files were correct and then I run the downgrade, it crashes halfway through and I get the "an error has occured please power off your 3DS...." I do so and get a black screen, I then take the SD card out and it boots fine, change the theme and reinsert the SD card, I then try to get into Browserhax again but it crashes at the orange screen continually. I tried to test and see if I could still load menuhax but it doesn't work. Any ideas what's going on? I'm on 9.9

D

Deleted User

So I have a problem. This is the second N3DS that I've tried downgrading on and I just can't seem to do it. I'm using Browserhax, what happens is I get MenuHax installed through BrowserHax, ran SafeSystemUpdater, verified that the CIAs from my 9.2 files were correct and then I run the downgrade, it crashes halfway through and I get the "an error has occured please power off your 3DS...." I do so and get a black screen, I then take the SD card out and it boots fine, change the theme and reinsert the SD card, I then try to get into Browserhax again but it crashes at the orange screen continually. I tried to test and see if I could still load menuhax but it doesn't work. Any ideas what's going on? I'm on 9.9

Try deleting webkithax.tmp on your SD. If that doesn't work, you'll need OOT/CN to fix.

Jackasaur

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OOT requires a 2nd hacked 3DS or a save dongle.
SOLVED!!

So here's what I did for people who might have this issue in the future.

First off, I was downgrading from 9.9 to 9.2 and the downgrade failed halfway through so i was inbetween the two. What I did was I tried to download and try each payload from The Homebrew Launcher website to see if I could get browserhax to boot up. I also renamed the payload "browserhax_hblauncher_ropbin_payload.bin" and deleted the webkithax file.

The 9.2 payload worked for me, so I was able to boot browserhax, uninstall menuhax and complete the downgrade to 9.2.

After doing so I went back in and installed MenuHax and OOT3DHAX just to be safe. I was able to boot into MenuHax without incident afterwards. I'm surprised there isn't much of a formal sticky about this solution? I hope this helps others and they won't go scouring the internet all night to find a solution.

thaminder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
downgraded one new3ds (fw 9.9) with sysupdater and another one (fw 9.9) with safesysupdater.

sysupdater is a little bit stressful - i had to try a lot of times to get it run.
safesysupdater is nice - just needed 2 trys to get it working.

thank you some much for your work! both consoles were downgraded successful!

if anybody has a black screen after downgrading - just remove the "Nintendo 3DS" Folder from SD Card!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4