Status
Not open for further replies.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any new pictures to show off? It always brings a smile to my face when I come to the thread and see wonderful progress pictures.

As a matter of fact, we have a video:

The audio is kinda crappy/low, but I just managed to patch service permissions to allow CSND on N3DS. It's beautiful.

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a matter of fact, we have a video:

The audio is kinda crappy/low, but I just managed to patch service permissions to allow CSND on N3DS. It's beautiful.

Wow! Great work, friend! By crappy/low, did you mean in the video, or is it like that on the handheld? It'd be terrible if you had to do MORE for sound.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I guess that could happen. Maybe set a type of verification after so long that it needs the carts or go off play history to prove you own it or somthing. Could be a pain for us guys that own 30+ games tho.
I have a better idea, don't do any of that, and avoid being a babysitter making sure the end users aren't being naughty with their underpowered consoles they rented from Nintendo for $200+

Reactions: Margen67

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a better idea, don't do any of that, and avoid being a babysitter making sure the end users aren't being naughty with their underpowered consoles they rented from Nintendo for $200+
When you're coding your CFW you can set your own rules and restrictions (or lack thereof), then you'll be able to show these guys how it's really done! :rolleyes:

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a modest proposal to end the open source/piracy debate: How about, instead of open-sourcing it now, committing to open-source it by some date, such as by 2020? If you wait that long, the next generation system will be out, and people won't care so much about 3DS. But it means that the source code will be available for future generations to use, and it means that people will be able to play hacks, translations, and undubs without tracking down a Gateway cartridge from an out of business company. And at that point it will only be piracy in the sense that emulating SNES games today is piracy.

The history of emulation is littered with programs that the owner has abandoned, and that required everyone else to start from scratch because the abandoned program wasn't open source. Now that systems require significant hacking to run anything, it looks like this is going to happen to hacks as well as emulations. And this sucks.

(Actually, even this is still a problem, because of firmware. If you don't give people an incentive to keep their machine on a hackable firmware *now*, in five years from now there won't be any systems which are still hackable except from people who were using a Gateway all along.)

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a modest proposal to end the open source/piracy debate: How about, instead of open-sourcing it now, committing to open-source it by some date, such as by 2020? If you wait that long, the next generation system will be out, and people won't care so much about 3DS. But it means that the source code will be available for future generations to use, and it means that people will be able to play hacks, translations, and undubs without tracking down a Gateway cartridge from an out of business company. And at that point it will only be piracy in the sense that emulating SNES games today is piracy.

The history of emulation is littered with programs that the owner has abandoned, and that required everyone else to start from scratch because the abandoned program wasn't open source. Now that systems require significant hacking to run anything, it looks like this is going to happen to hacks as well as emulations. And this sucks.
Maybe we'll open source it a while after the entire 3DS platform is discontinued.

AlanWeird

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh dear. Look. Its going to be closed source. Don't argue. They're giving us far more than we have now.

Sound on homebrew. That's brilliant. Looking forward to replaying some gameboy games. :)

Personally most hopeful for a virtual boy emu eventually. Get to play warioland on it finally.

Reactions: Zidapi

fuyukaidesu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

(Actually, even this is still a problem, because of firmware. If you don't give people an incentive to keep their machine on a hackable firmware *now*, in five years from now there won't be any systems which are still hackable except from people who were using a Gateway all along.)

My primary concern is that since it's going to be closed, it's going to take extra time to get released, and probably broken in the week of the release.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you're coding your CFW you can set your own rules and restrictions (or lack thereof), then you'll be able to show these guys how it's really done! :rolleyes:
I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do with their project. I'm merely saying that adding more work for the creators of this project by adding in useless verification and the additional obfuscation required to prevent said verification from being "cracked" is both a waste of their time and the end users' and will only serve to delay any public release by a considerable amount.

By no means am I saying they should outright enable piracy, but to actively prevent that is Nintendo's responsibility, and nobody else's.

I have no use of any cfw, because I have something that works well for everything I want to do, I've also refuted that "do it yourself" argument multiple times throughout this forum, so I won't say anything more about that.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My primary concern is that since it's going to be closed, it's going to take extra time to get released, and probably broken in the week of the release.
Not your problem, or theirs for that matter if they feel they've done all they can to protect it.

But let's be honest, if there was someone with the skill and willingness to release a ROM loading CFW, they wouldn't be waiting until KARL3DS was released. They'd have done it already.

Reactions: SLiV3R

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not your problem, or theirs for that matter if they feel they've done all they can to protect it.

But let's be honest, if there was someone with the skill and willingness to release a ROM loading CFW, they wouldn't be waiting until KARL3DS was released. They'd have done it already.
And for that reason, I'm honestly at a point where I doubt anyone would bother making a ROM-loader from this loader even when it is open-sourced/cracked/etc. As has been said, none of the capable devs want to do it, and all of them have had ample chances to do it, and ample time. I'm willing to bet it wouldn't even need to be obfuscated, as no one who seems to want a free ROM-loader knows enough to do even basic RE, lmao

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do with their project. I'm merely saying that adding more work for the creators of this project by adding in useless verification and the additional obfuscation required to prevent said verification from being "cracked" is both a waste of their time and the end users' and will only serve to delay any public release by a considerable amount.

By no means am I saying they should outright enable piracy, but to actively prevent that is Nintendo's responsibility, and nobody else's.

I have no use of any cfw, because I have something that works well for everything I want to do, I've also refuted that "do it yourself" argument multiple times throughout this forum, so I won't say anything more about that.
My apologies, I thought the argument you were making was that they should enable ROM loading.

The Devs have already made it clear they won't be looking at "legitimate backup loading" at all.

Relys's post here addresses the topic.
Guys the argument of being able to "backup your carts" honestly died last generation. If you want all your games stored on your SD card then buy them from the eshop. I don't care if some obscure games aren't available to purchase in that format or if you already own a billion carts. Game "backups" are just flat out something that we're just not interested in supporting and we are certainly not going to go out of our way to develop some crazy method of trying to "authenticate" that you actually purchased the cart. Why you may ask? Because we don't care enough about that feature for our own personal use to develop it. At the end of the day this project is about developing things we want to use. Why you may ask? Because nobody is paying us to develop things we could care less about. There is also not ETA for release. Why you may ask? Because we do this in our free time and nobody is paying us to develop these features outside of our own pace. There is also no guaranteed feature set or release. Why you may ask? Because nobody is entitled to anything we develop and choose not to release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: True, I don't want mud crumbs in my bed