[WIP] Fire Emblem Fates Promotion Textures Patch

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by GreekDudeYiannis, May 25, 2018.

1. GreekDudeYiannis
    OP

GreekDudeYiannis Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    In case you don’t wanna read, TL;DR – THIS IS CURRENTLY THE 3RD AND FINAL VERSION. Made a patch to fix unpromoted characters not getting unique colors upon promotion. Some of the changes are subtle and hard to notice. You should probably rebuild the cia file because of the size of the patch, otherwise it lags heavily. Add it to Luma. Works with Gay Fates and other patches that don't fiddle with the "asset" folder or the ROM files inside. I'm done making stuff for this patch now, so if you wanna contribute, send me a message. Link to the patch is at the bottom. Screenshots from the first version are in the .rar file.

Hello there everyone!

So, one thing that bugged me about Fates and Awakening was the fact that only certain characters got unique outfits in certain classes when they promoted. In Fates, every character has one “canon” promotion, so the creators only made unique armor and clothes for that 1 promotion. Some of them get the default blue on top of their original clothing, some get the enemy’s armor, some don’t even get a unique outfit for a promotion. Awakening was even more haphazard with this, cause characters like Stahl and Sully would get unique armor in both their promotions, while characters like Gregor didn’t get any in either promotion. This always struck me as weird, cause it made me not wanna use certain characters/classes if they’re just gonna look like everyone else by the end, and I never understood why one promotion was chosen over another. It just majorly affected the way I played the game. So after discovering the 3DS hacking scene and that people made all sorts of neat stuff, I finally took the time out of my schedule (which isn’t hard, Peace Corps Volunteers get a surprising amount of free time) to hack my 3DS and figure out how to add in my own textures. I figured I'd do what IS forgot to do/refused to do. It started out with just Charlotte (cause she’s the best, fuck you, fight me), giving her a unique outfit and armor as a Hero, but then I decided, why not fix everyone? So I did. I’ve written a total of 167 new Animation IDs within the ROM files, so nearly everyone has something new to try on (except the promoted capturable bosses). If you're curious about making your own textures or what the process was for making this patch, please click below.

The Breakdown of what I did if you're legitimately curious

So here’s the full list of new armors and outfits and who gets what!

List of Folks who got new outfits

So, here's the other thing. If you'll look at the changelog, you'll see that there's 167 brand new Animation IDs that weren't originally found in the game as well as 27 other IDs that were altered in some way or another. Such edits come at a price. When using this patch via Luma, it lags considerably. It usually takes a few seconds to load all models on screen during battle animations. It even loads in the accessory room or even when just scrolling through units. To avoid this, it's recommended that you rebuild the .cia file after adding this patch's contents to it. After that, it should be fine.

Now, some of these changes for the promotions are subtle, so you might not notice them right away unless you directly compare before and after photos. If you're curious cause you can't tell the difference, click the following spoiler.

If you can't tell the difference, lemme explain.

How this patch works: just add folders to Luma under the title’s romfs folder and let it do its magic. Don't add over the "DON'T COPY ME OVER" or "screenshots from v1" folders as those contain models/textures and that I tried to use, but couldn't make work. This patch shouldn’t interfere with Gay Fates since it only changes textures. However, it won’t work with the FE1 Remake Patch or DeathChaos’s Awakening Characters Patch since those have their own ROM files that this patch directly changes. Ultimate take-away: if the other patch has a folder named, "asset" then it is not compatible.

As for the future, there isn't much of one. I'm done. I've spent the last 4 months adding stuff to this, (recoloring textures, porting models, writing Animation IDs, playtesting, etc.). If you wanna contribute, hit me up, that's not a problem. Otherwise, I'm done.

Credits

If you wanna use stuff from here in your own patch, that's not a problem, just make sure you give credit where credit is due.

Anywho's here's the updated link:
    https://mega.nz/#!2bAGQYbD!c_GtbvBeX_6riHXNFQIsSEtuXwHs0SUmjL4H3f7qRuQ

Last edited by GreekDudeYiannis, Jul 22, 2018
    Mathcat, TomboyGamerXL and GCNMatt like this.
  2. GreekDudeYiannis
    OP

GreekDudeYiannis Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    I'll add screenshots eventually, I just kinda wanted to get this out there first after working on it for so long.

GCNMatt likes this.
  3. GreekDudeYiannis
    OP

GreekDudeYiannis Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2017
    United States
  4. GCNMatt

GCNMatt GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    These are actually really great! Instant download:)

GreekDudeYiannis likes this.
  5. TomboyGamerXL

TomboyGamerXL Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2017
    United States
    Oh my god, This always bothered me too. Characters like Camilla and Hinoka looks so... awkward without their signature colors or designs so I feel weird changing their classes. It’ll be fun to use this when I do a randomized playthrough! Instant download and awesome work! :D

6. GreekDudeYiannis
    OP

GreekDudeYiannis Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    Er, don't thank me juuuuuuuuuust yet. I didn't make unique textures for all the classes for one character, so a randomized playthrough will still encounter the problem of generic blueness. Characters got unique textures if they didn't get them for one promotion. I.e. Arthur gets unique stuff for Hero, but not Berserker, so I made stuff for him as a Berserker.

7. GreekDudeYiannis
    OP

GreekDudeYiannis Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    Forgot to release the v2 with the mounts and shields and a few extra AIDs, BUT NOW HERE'S THE 3RD VERSION!

8. Ghostlander

Ghostlander GBAtemp Regular

Jun 26, 2015
    United States
    This is perfection.

EDIT: IS there Someone who has already re-built their Conquest .CIA file with these changes?

Is there any chance you could do a couple request ones for me?

I really want Camilla's Berserker class to use her Default outfit instead.

Geromes model for male MC's Nohr prince outfits.

I would also love Someone using Panne's body model and someone using Nowi.

Last edited by Ghostlander, Sep 2, 2018
  9. Ghostlander

Jun 26, 2015
    United States
    How come your Azura has thr black outfit but thats not included in your bundle?

10. Mathcat

Mathcat Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    Hello! Mathcat here, the new lead of the project, as Yiannis had stated in the README of the patch.
    Anyways, finally decided to make an account a few days ago in order to state that Version 3.1 of the texture patch is out now!
    It comes with new sets of textures for 11 character-class combinations, 3 of which are for Dark Falcon, and a few minor tweaks to original and older textures.
    Here's some preview screenshots :
    Unfortunately
    , I can't post the Download link as of yet, as I'm still new to the site, so I guess DM me, or try to find me on Tumblr/Discord.

Attached Files:

AgahnimD, Samury and Fates-Blade-900 like this.
  11. Samury

Samury Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 13, 2018
    Puerto Rico
    What's your tumblr? I'm unable to send messages here yet but I can reach you there.

12. Mathcat

Mathcat Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    Tumblr blog is currently listed as "mathcat7". Sorry I didn't get back to you; I took another step back after releasing 3.1, as we were heading into Thanksgiving.

13. Mathcat

Mathcat Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    Completed Basara for Camilla last night!

Attached Files:

14. Ghostlander

Jun 26, 2015
    United States
    And you STILL didnt put azuras black dancer outfit? man

15. Airbreather_22

Airbreather_22 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2019
    Argentina
    Heya, I was wondering if you could please link to the latest version of the patch available

16. Mathcat

Mathcat Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    Well, unfortunately, GBATemp still considers me a new member, so I can't post a link to version 3.1 (why the hell is it a level-based thing instead of time-based). Yiannis has disappeared from Discord again, so he can't update the post's link either...

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The dark songstress texture was a request from Yiannis, and he didn't ever specify what it was for. I'm pretty sure the bch.lz files I made for it (and keep in mind that's not the full thing) are available from one of my Tumblr posts, however.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted