Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Given how high a compatability Steam OS will have with games, I think I'll be content to leave it as-is, honestly. That's plenty of content to play, and it'll probably be a bit more seamless, since it's designed for it. Although I am very glad Windows is supported on it.

Reactions: Xzi

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It was the first thought I had, but I've since decided I'm going to just enjoy it as it comes for a while.

At some point though, I fully expect to start tinkering with it and maybe dual boot will be an option.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nope, depending on how much I like it I might end up doing the opposite and switching my desktop to Arch Linux/SteamOS though. To avoid Windows 11, of course.
It's interesting how the knock on effects of Valve making the Steam Deck could end up causing a big shift in Linux adoption rate. I'm sure many people won't get on with it and return to Windows, but a lot will also stay for good. The oddly strict hardware requirements for W11 will also play a part.

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I for one may actually do reverse. I don't have a steam deck reserved (not yet at least, waiting for more actual user reviews to pop up), but if Proton on release is as compatible as they claim, I see myself replacing Windows on my main PC with Steam OS 3.0 or an Arch distro with their Proton branch installed. Game compatibility is honestly the only thing keeping me from switching to Linux fully.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Unless I see a strong reason to move to Windows I'll probably stay on Linux. Microsoft isn't exactly winning me over with their new fun Windows 11 requirements.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I will stick with Steam OS more than likely, I have a feeling sticking windows on it might gimp hardware features and kill battery life.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My biggest worry Is that I have a 6 TB hard drive filled with games but that drive is formatted NTFS. Steam OS has a preference for Ext4 and I read that NTFS support in Linux is wonky at best. I really don't want to have to format this drive and start all over again.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'll leave it as is. I went linux (mint) two years back and if even epic store's free games can't call me back, I don't see why I need it.
Then again, my preference is usually smaller games, so it doesn't matter as much.
My biggest worry Is that I have a 6 TB hard drive filled with games but that drive is formatted NTFS. Steam OS has a preference for Ext4 and I read that NTFS support in Linux is wonky at best. I really don't want to have to format this drive and start all over again.
That used to be, yes. But it has (apparently) improved in recent years.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently, improved NTFS support is one of the features in kernel 5.15.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When the flock of how to install Windows on SteamDeck and is it worth it videos launch I'll definitely be considering. Being able to just ftp from bed in a tablet like handheld and downloading any .exe or file would make it worth it in my eyes. I'll probably have mine in dock mode along with a mouse and keyboard so it won't be that painful to use in windows mode. Not to mention the more power hungry emulators that it'll be able to run.

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll really consider it. I have many games in other storefronts (as gog, epic...) and sometimes play games that come alone as Riot Games, WoW, or Genshin Impact. But we yet have to know if the game pad will work as is as a mouse or if you'll need some kind of extra software and all that stuff.
Also will be nice to have those Android apps with W11...

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Will see how I get on with it as it comes, but it's good to know dual boot is an option. I already only boot Windows when it's the easiest/only way to do/play something in particular, so that'll likely remain the same, and if I can comfortably avoid it altogether, I will.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Why not dual boot? I'd probably be fine sticking with SteamOS for the most part, but being able to run any PC software is a huge benefit, and most of the software I use is Windows only. Might end up only using it for games and never actually needing Windows but I would want to have a dual boot setup just in case.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing how epic games announced a linux version of Easy Anti-chat and they have told everyone it works with steam deck with out a problem and plus Battleye has also announced that its going to be compatible with steam deck as well so it should run Games such as Destiny 2 and dead by daylight and its gonna be so fun to play destiny 2 portable same with halo, so I will be sticking with SteamOS on it since everything should work out of the box now on it.
RetroArch is now on steam so there is no need for me to run windows on it since I can run what I want really easy without an os swap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: