Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
hullo8d said:
Look since your so infatuated with Aero you should follow this guide

This will leave your computer vulnerable and make some thing stop working, so do it at your own risk.

http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm

This will leave your computer vulnerable and make some thing stop working, so do it at your own risk.

This gives you a run down of what windows 7 services are used for and how to tweak them out. Backup your Registry before you proceed. If you really are looking to get Aero working you should probably follow the Barebones section. This will leave your computer vulnerable and make some thing stop working, so do it at your own risk. That's pretty much the only shot you have to making Aero work as smooth as possible.

To give you an idea of how much improvement this adds, my setting a pretty similar to the tweaked section and and my Comp is using 1GB of Memory and has 0% CPU Usage with an occasional 3-5% spike. I have Firefox running and Bitdefender Agent running in the background and I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Is it safe to assume that this will secure his computer and everything will continue to run normally?

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
ShadowLink92 said:
how_do_i_do_that said:
The program is called Aerofoil
http://www.nirmaltv.com/2009/10/26/aerofoi...k-battery-life/

Your faith is misplaced if you put it into the power saving.
I got Aerofoil and enabled Glass, but nothing happened. Is there another way? And I never use power/screen savers.
Dear god please just check the second reply in your thread. That right there overrides the aero capability check. At least try it, though some comments say it works and others say it doesn't.

In case you don't want to go back there, pretty much the same info on a different page:
http://www.blogsdna.com/1996/registry-hack...n-windows-7.htm

[edit]This does seem to only work with wdm drivers so chances are it won't work for you by the sounds of your system, seems like a dead end to me to even try getting aero running on there. Why don't you install a linux distro with kde4 and amaze all your friends
tongue.gif
?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
As usual, barely anybody knows what the fuck they're talking about.

QUOTE said:
DWM uses GPU acceleration to do all of those graphical effects: it requires less CPU work, as all of the work normally done by the CPU is completely offloaded to the GPU.

That's things like drawing the window border, handling window movement, etc. DWM uses DirectX, whereas disabling it forces GDI+ to handle it. Drawing a window border involves a number if bitblts to video memory under GDI+. Under DirectX, it's a single texture upload (done once) followed by a single draw command - then everything is done behind the scenes on the video card.

By disabling DWM's effects, you're basically pulling all of that work off the video card back onto the CPU, which would have otherwise been reserved for your apps.

(And before you even think about the impact to 3D apps: Rendering 3D to a back buffer is more or less free on most video cards, so there's little to no impact on performance due to DWM. Further, DWM automatically disables itself when a fullscreen 3D application is started.)

If your video card is weak, you can disable things like window transparency and shadows, but if you disable Aero entirely, you're using CPU-based effects and the GPU sits idle.

So Aero is FASTER than having it disabled... assuming you have an actual video card capable of anything decent. Not the RAM amount, but the video card's specs (NOT IT'S RAM, it's specs!)

However if you don't, then it won't even let you enable Aero because it will run like shit.

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a Quad Core Laptop and I don´t even use Aero and if I had Windows 7 on my dekstop (which has Ubuntu) I wouldn´t even use it. I always disable most of the graphical effects, because they slow your system down.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
danielkraak said:
I have a Quad Core Laptop and I don´t even use Aero and if I had Windows 7 on my dekstop (which has Ubuntu) I wouldn´t even use it. I always disable most of the graphical effects, because they slow your system down.
Reading before posting is a life skill.

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
danielkraak said:
Reading before posting is a life skill.
The processor is still being used a bit, even though it is offloaded to he graphics card. It also takes more ram, etc. Using no effects is definitely faster.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
danielkraak said:
The processor is still being used a bit, even though it is offloaded to he graphics card.Read. When it's off, the CPU works HARDER than when it's on.

danielkraak said:
It also takes more ram, etc.It uses video RAM, not system RAM (the video RAM would be unused otherwise).

QUOTE(danielkraak @ Oct 12 2010, 04:45 PM)
Using no effects is definitely faster.
If that's so, your video card's a piece of shit (as I pointed out).

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Runs Perfect on this

• OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
  • Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
  • Other OS Description Not Available
  • OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
  • System Name POS-7
  • System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
  • System Model HP Compaq nc6000 (DJ333T#ABU)
  • System Type X86-based PC
  • Processor Intel Pentium M processor 1.70GHz, 1700 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s) (centrino chipset)
  • BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 68BDD Ver. F.15, 30/08/2006
  • SMBIOS Version 2.3
  • Windows Directory C:\Windows
  • System Directory C:\Windows\system32
  • Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
  • Locale United Kingdom
  • Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
  • User Name POS-7\Me
  • Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
  • Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 1.50 GB
  • Total Physical Memory 1.50 GB
  • Available Physical Memory 762 MB
  • Total Virtual Memory 3.00 GB
  • Available Virtual Memory 2.07 GB
  • Page File Space 1.50 GB
  • Page File C:\pagefile.sys
  • Name ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600/9700 Series
  • PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E50&SUBSYS_0890103C&REV_00\4&2B74EC9&0&0008
  • Adapter Type ATI Radeon Graphics Processor AGP (0x4E50), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible
  • Adapter Description ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600/9700 Series
  • Adapter RAM 32.00 MB (33,554,432 bytes)
  • Installed Drivers atiumdag.dll,atiumdva.cap,atitmmxx.dll
  • Driver Version 8.561.0.0
  • INF File oem4.inf (ati2mtag_M10 section)
  • Color Planes Not Available
  • Color Table Entries 4294967296
  • Resolution 1024 x 768 x 60 hertz
  • Bits/Pixel 32
  • Memory Address 0x98000000-0x9FFFFFFF
  • I/O Port 0x00002000-0x000020FF
  • Memory Address 0x90300000-0x9030FFFF
  • IRQ Channel IRQ 10
  • I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
  • I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
  • Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
  • Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys (7.1.1.849, 3.99 MB (4,179,968 bytes), 01/12/2008 22:14)

Note the very old laptop with 1.5GB of RAM and ancient dedicated video with 32MB ram. The only thing I had to do was patch the ATI drivers as ATI had blocked installing their catalyst drivers on this laptop and many others I believe.
Performance and battery wise it's pretty much the same as XP.

If it runs awesome on this pile of shit with full aero then it should run on almost anything.
clipboard01kqe.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Blah. 3 of my NSO + Expansion Pass family group members are leaving. Found one replacement so far but still need to fill two empty slots. I have 9 days or i eat the extra cost myself. But with a full group $11 for a year is a good deal. imo
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    new ghostbusters was decent, not as good as the previous one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye,
    theres a new ghostbusters?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I liked the cameo the original cast did
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, I heard a member of the original cast died
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Rest of the plot was just average
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Egon was the best character
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My favorite was the Key master in the first one, "Ok, who brought the dog?" - Rick Moranis
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was way better than that ghostbusters: frozen in women power one
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was kind of a passing the torch idea which I didn't hate finally
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The old Ghostbuster video game was pretty good also, newer one is just ok.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta be more specific nes one was garbage 360 was decent
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea 360/ps3 one I meant, I don't remember the Nes one tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I never played that one.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, me neither
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 gotta be more specific, there were 2 on the NES and one of them was pretty decent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    deleted my newgrounds account
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc of shame
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have shame?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, made a new one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: