Windows 7 Questions

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Licardo7, Sep 6, 2009.

Sep 6, 2009

Windows 7 Questions by Licardo7 at 4:54 AM (2,725 Views / 0 Likes) 32 replies

1. Licardo7
    OP

Member Licardo7 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, i'm sick of vista and it's system hogging ways and now i'm looking into installing Win 7. So i have a few questions that i hope members here can answer for me to make up my mind.

1) How much of an improvement is 7 better than vista game wise.

2) By installing it will it fully restore my computer and erase everything or will it just update and keep everything i already have to install.

3) I heard i can portion my HD and install it on that portion but i don't really know if that will help that much. What exactly does it work?

4) I heard there was like a beta and i signed up for it a wile ago but i went back to the website because i lost the ISO but they are saying they are not giving it out anymore. Does that mean my key is invalid?

5) Does the beta have a time limit like 30 days or something?

6) is the beta worth installing over or should I get the full version (if it's even out =p)'

I hope i can get some answers pretty soon. I'll probably add some more questions in a wile when they come to me.

2. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    1) Can't tell seeing as I went from XP to 7
    2) If you have Vista you can upgrade. It's not recommended though i think
    3) IF you use a paritioning program such as Gpart or theres one built in vista I think, you can make a parition and install windows 7 on that parition.
    4) Your key should still work on Beta but only beta.
    5) There is a time limit, more then 30 days though
    6) If you installing now, theres the RTM (Release to Manufacturing ) version which is exactly what it sounds like, sent to people like Dell I think

I'm using Windows 7 for a few days now, works pretty good, haven't used Vista so can't compare it to that.

3. Technik

Member Technik GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If you want the full version you can get the RTM. Its the full thing and its on the internet early.

4. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

1. Can't tell that much of a difference, but the OS itself seems much snappier.
    2. You can do an upgrade installation from Vista but only to a higher or equal SKU (Ultimate -> Professional is not possible for example)
    3. There is no non-destructive partitioner in Windows. Download a Linux LiveCD with partitioning software and make a new NTFS partition.
    4. The key is still valid for the beta/RC version but will expire next year (for RC)
    5. You can install the retail version, not type any keys, and get a 30 day trial. You can also rearm in command prompt it for a total of 120 days trial.
    6. Get the RTM and crack it

5. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    1) Everything about Win7 handling resources better than Vista is very true, although that doesn't say much because of how abysmal Vista was in this department.

However I'm doubtful about claims that it runs better than XP and on systems with less resources. One system I experimented installing it on is laptop from 2005 (and wasn't exactly top of the line even for then) and it was noticeably bogged relative to XP. I don't anticipate that users running modern hardware will notice the difference.

However, there's lots of good news to go with this. Like the fact that I've been able to get most if not all XP drivers to install on Windows 7 on a few test systems so far, where that never would have been possible under Vista. So if anybody is using a Dell/HP/etc type system a few years old, with driver support discontinued, the final drivers will likely work.

2) As stated, you can upgrade Vista -> Win7 so long as it's at least an equivalent 'flavor'. But they've made the process so convoluted for everybody that it's shaping to be one of the negatives and you are probably better off doing it by hand over a clean install. Personally I never trust the upgrading and always perform it myself, but your mileage/expertise may vary.

3) Dual booting Windows is always a recipe for disaster particularly with those that aren't knowledgeable about computers, and if you're already using Vista then you have no real reason not to fully replace it with Win7. And in my experience just installing it vanilla, Win7 has a bizarre partitioning scheme anyway that further complicates things.

4+) Just nevermind the betas anyway. And Charmandersrule is incorrect, because it is absolutely illegal to violate Microsoft's copyright by ignoring their terms, which don't permit downloading+installing any version of Win7 you're not entitled to. And retrieving it from some bittorrent site or the like DOES NOT qualify.

You can either pirate Windows or buy it. If you buy it, you're in the clear. If you pirate it, Microsoft will be making things more difficult than ever for these people. The EULA states that they've reserved the right to periodically check the system for anything suspicious and make any changes they deem appropriate toward verifying it and disabling any cracks, or taking measures to cripple an infringing system in any way. Last I checked, the so-called cracks haven't even managed to overcome some expiration date set for early next year. And if they do, expect Microsoft to counteract if and when the PC is connected to the internet. Welcome to the new arms race.

6. TornZero

Member TornZero GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have to agree with dib on this, but to the last paragraph, I can simplify it.

If you buy Windows, you don't have to worry. If you pirate it, remember that Microsoft is armed and ready to fire at will the moment you connect to the internet. Welcome to the new Internet Government (Windows, Mac, and UNIX/Linux), with a metaphorical Nixon (Windows) as the leader... at least until it's impeached (Fired) and Macintosh takes control.

If the Mac fails, then we'll be stuck in an Internet Monarchy. The chance of this happening is extremely slim to none.

7. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    The current crack that I use is modding the BIOS to make it think its branded motherboard I think its called. Works.

8. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    1) How much of an improvement is 7 better than vista game wise.
    Game wise, it mostly depends on your hardware. I do remember the time when I first got vista and barely any online games ran on it. However, all of the MMO games I've played on my Win 7 have all been successfully ran in full speed.

2) By installing it will it fully restore my computer and erase everything or will it just update and keep everything i already have to install.
    It depends how you are installing it. Many people recommend a clean install which means to erase everything and install Win 7. However, I partitioned my drive and installed windows 7 on a separate partition so I could multi boot it with XP. Go take a look at multi booting articles in google.

3) I heard i can portion my HD and install it on that portion but i don't really know if that will help that much. What exactly does it work?
    Same as number 2 - In google look at multi booting articles and it tells you everything about partitioning etc

4) I heard there was like a beta and i signed up for it a wile ago but i went back to the website because i lost the ISO but they are saying they are not giving it out anymore. Does that mean my key is invalid?
    Go get a new key. I'm not sure if they got rid of the RC 7100 but there are leaked builds which you can get out there...

5) Does the beta have a time limit like 30 days or something?
    Up to June 2010 (I think), you can use it like an ordinary OS. But I'm pretty sure you'll want to get an official one by that time.

6) is the beta worth installing over or should I get the full version (if it's even out =p)'
    The full version is not out yet, but you can download leaked builds

9. Licardo7
    OP

Member Licardo7 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Thanks guys for all your help but i guess i should wait for the official release so i can be on the clear. I knew cracking microsoft's OS would be just some trouble.

10. Lodis

Member Lodis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This OS is worth buying and supporting.

11. tyga

Newcomer tyga Newbie

United States
    If you are running windows vista, only have one drive and have a reasonable amount of free space left on you can shrink the volume in disk management and create a partition for windows 7 from the left over space the shrink gives you to install it there.

It's like partition magic built into the system. You lose no info WHAT SO EVER.

12. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Oh man, sorry about the off-topic. But this post is just golden.

Windows is the EVIL of the world, and Mac its saviour? Hahaha. Freaking golden. Everyone knows Apple is a money-hoarder worse than Microsoft. Just see their products and their proprietary apps.

You want music on your iPod? Install iTunes and get LOTS of DRM.
    You want to use free software on your iPhone? Too bad, you can't, you'll have to use WHAT WE WANT.
    You want a Apple computer? Here, pay shitloads of money just because we put our brand on it. Even worse if you want to buy a piece for it directly from us, even if it's just a standard DDR2 stick.

Yeah, MacOS-X is fancy as you want, but their hardware is OVERPRICED. No matter how you see at it.

Mac will NEVER take control. It's just too much of a "elitary" thing and they like it that way. Nor Windows will ever be a monarchy.
    Linux is getting more users every day, IE just lost its supremacy in browsers thanks to Firefox and friends, OpenOffice is now used in a lot of offices and opensource software is widely used in almost every field.

If you want to be a fanboy of something at least choose opensource [​IMG]

Trying to stay in-topic, Windows 7 is really an improvement over Vista. If you have a spare hard disk, hook it up and install Win7 on it. You'll love it [​IMG]

13. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    RTM has been out since July 24th. And it was cracked about 5 days later (But that crack was fixed three days later)

Also as for dib who said XP may not be better than Windows 7, the x64 Win7 is an extreme improvement over XP x64

14. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    I'd say definitely go with Windows 7.

Let's put it this way: I used to be a "Mac Only" person. Now I don't have a single Mac in my house. Windows 7 has seduced me to the dark side.

It's fast, it's stable, it's compatible, and it WORKS! I'm a technician so I know my way extremely well around a computer; don't need a Mac to have a system do everything for me.

I think that Windows 7 is the only Microsoft OS I truly love. As for how much of an improvement over Vista: I spent 16 hours over 2 days trying to get Vista installed on my desktop, only to have it kill itself over and over. One install of 7 and everything was smooth sailing.

15. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This is another mediocre MS OS , not as clunky as Vista but not as "lean" as XP.

If you want to buy this and support this realize this, no MS OS is made for end user experience , it is strictly eye candy and programming features for the sake of programming features, some of the features are pretty good in windows 7 make no mistake this is not a bad OS.

But it comes down to what you are used to XP is still solid , Vista was never an option , some of the bad features in Vista made it to Windows 7 only good thing about it is that you can disable it.

16. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    I had XP on my netbook, then I installed Windows 7... and I am never going back to XP.

17. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    This. Though I used a Desktop Computer. 7 beats XP and Vista at everything, including compatibility.

18. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I installed Suse linux (9.1 ->10.1->11.1) many years ago on my laptop and im never going back to anything from MS no matter how much money i get offered todo so .

19. Synchromatic

Member Synchromatic GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've used XP, Vista, and Windows 7 on the same computer. Windows 7 booted as fast as XP, and was more streamlined than Vista. I actually like it a lot more than Mac OSX.

And Athlon-pv, have you even tried the OS out?

20. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    Windows 7 is probably the best OS Microsoft has made so far. And Reru, I doubt he has. Probably another unwarrented M$ hater.