Gaming Windows 7 help

darksnow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just did a clean install of windows 7 on a separate partition for dual booting.
however, when i start windows 7, everything is gone.
so i manually start dragging stuff out from my c drive, and then i noticed that it had no antivirus.
i use norton 360 and when i go to the norton 360 folder, i cant find a exe file or anything along the lines of that.
do i have to redownload norton or something? any help is appreciated

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you'll have to reinstall everything. when you install a new OS it doesn't transfer all the programs you had on your previous OS, its going to be a clean slate.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
notnarb said:
also - solution for your problem with Norton:

Don't use Norton.

Tried and tested by billions of happy not users of Norton
smile.gif

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
more like learn to use a computer

programs need to be installed, you canNOT just drag folders from your c: drive and expect them to work.

(unless they're all portable apps, but doubt this is the case)

this is computer basics 101 here

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well okay but atleast you might have explained to him that Windows is such a piece of crap when having applications installed they do more then just take a physicle folder
smile.gif
i mean that explains things more then just saying to him he misses the basics
smile.gif

So when you install applications you have some settings that windows keeps in a place called registry.

Not all applications use them tho , something like World of Warcraft you can just happily copy to your new program files and run it without the registry needing to get updated on windows 7.

But most applications arent as flexible ...

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Athlon-pv said:
Well okay but atleast you might have explained to him that Windows is such a piece of crap when having applications installed they do more then just take a physicle folder
smile.gif
i mean that explains things more then just saying to him he misses the basics
smile.gif

So when you install applications you have some settings that windows keeps in a place called registry.

Not all applications use them tho , something like World of Warcraft you can just happily copy to your new program files and run it without the registry needing to get updated on windows 7.

But most applications arent as flexible ...

I don't call that flexible, I call that well-behaved
wink.gif

But well, you know, it's Windows......
biggrin.gif

(It's common and accepted that a program installs it's files everywhere where it's not meant to + registry, argh)

darksnow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ugh then this fails >.>...
i only created a 20 gb partition >.>
why is it that i have 170 gb of free space left on my c drive but i can only create a partition of 85gb?

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
no idea why you can only create an 85GB partition, sorry

QUOTE said:
you canNOT just drag folders from your c: drive and expect them to work.
QUOTEwhen you install applications you have some settings that windows keeps in a place called registry.

With a tiny bit of effort (installing GTK for pidgin and gimp for example), most things can be dragged and dropped onto a new computer and work without a problem. Usually the reason you may run into a hitch is because of DRM reasons - Office and GTAIV being the only things that immediately come to mind as not working when reformatting my hard drive. The registry usually plays little to no factor, since almost all applications will automatically create new values, which will cause loss of some saved settings (such as preferred resolution), but most saved data is stored in the application data folder anyways.

Findecanno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
solution: get Linux. Ya dont have to worry about drm or any of that crap that prevent you from doing stuff like this.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Findecanno said:
solution: get Linux. Ya dont have to worry about drm or any of that crap that prevent you from doing stuff like this.
Almost all linux apps of significance have been ported to windows... In fact, you can't just copy files from your linux install and expect it to work because of dependencies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0